Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#126 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 1:38 AM Last edited by cill2007 : 25th Nov 2008 at 1:51 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
cill2007, I regularly test the pages at 1024x768 and haven't encountered any issues with standard browsers.

well.....i don't know why the page looks like that for me then???

..oh well.

....edit:
so u see what i see basically, since you said you didn't encounter this issue.
http://i35.tinypic.com/10o2pme.jpg

Sims, like life, is very unpredictable. One minute you're eating four day old pizza, and then the repo-man steals your only sofa and you're in tears. ...then the food poison kicks in.
Advertisement
#127 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 2:42 AM
cill2007, I regularly test the pages at 1024x768 and haven't encountered any issues with standard browsers.
Delphy, this began when HystericalParoxysm posted the New Creator Challenge (and Neanderthal Exceptionals!) thread. The URL for the image is rendered as text on the welcome page, and as there are no spaces in the URL, it gets wrapped as a single word, but that single word is too long, forcing the browser to render that column too wide, which causes the page to be too wide to display without scrolling. This issue will vanish as soon as another News thread is posted.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#128 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by cill2007
well.....i don't know why the page looks like that for me then???

..oh well.

....edit:
so u see what i see basically, since you said you didn't encounter this issue.
http://i35.tinypic.com/10o2pme.jpg

This issue appears to be that the columns are fixed and not fluid, or I should say IE not allowing the fluid width.

In FF the welcome area, featured and news are flexible width with the width of the browser. In IE they are not.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#129 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 9:43 AM
Jabbro,

Okay you are right - for some reason I had it in my head that Compatible mode showed you the EPs you had and everything else on the thread but now that I think about it, that doesn't make sense. You are indeed correct in that it works basically like Advanced does.

Thanks for the clear explanation - and apologies to anybody else who has tried explaining the same thing to me and I didn't get it.

I'll look at how feasible it is to do an Includes style search.

Regards
Delphy

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Lab Assistant
#130 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 10:19 AM
As it stands now, we can "Search Downloads" or "Search Site." A lot of the time when I use "Search Site" I end up with many results from download threads.. can this be avoided?

For example, if I "Search Site" for "repository" because I want to learn that technique, I end up with many download pages stating they've used the technique on their items, when what I really want is just forum threads talking about it.

Under advanced searching, there's a box listing for "Search in Forum(s)," maybe there could be another box listing for "Exclude Forum(s)" or something? I hope you understand, and I apologize if there's something like this already in place that I've missed!

Also, on creators pages.. I'd like a way to tell when they update their uploads. Sometimes the thread gets marked as "updated" even it's just a simple typo they wanted to fix in the main text.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#131 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 2:01 PM
Layana, unfortunately I can't tell google to only search parts of the site. However in advanced search you can tell it to only search parts of the site - just select the (for example) Modding the Sims 2 section and it'll only search that + children.

With regards to the "last updated" for files only - I have a system in place already to store that information but it's hidden to the general public until I work out how to make it shown.

Lab Assistant
#132 Old 25th Nov 2008 at 7:13 PM
I personally would like more classification in the downloads sections.

For sections like electronics - if I want a new phone mesh, I have to click through tonnes of TVs and over 9000 different laptop models to find it.

Perhaps this could be added to the upload manager in the form of a checklist, like the "furnished, unfurnished, starter furnishings, fixtures only" checklist in the lot upload manager. Would it be possible to add, say, a "TVs, computers, small electronics, etc, etc, etc, miscellaneous" checklist to the Electronics section, and similar for other sections?

I welcome requests - PM me!
Test Subject
#133 Old 26th Nov 2008 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Xianny
I personally would like more classification in the downloads sections.

For sections like electronics - if I want a new phone mesh, I have to click through tonnes of TVs and over 9000 different laptop models to find it.

If you click on electronics and then small electronics it is mainly phones and no TVs or computers

simmer1234.zymichost.com
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 6:25 AM
A button to mass-check the "content created by me" check boxes on the Upload form?

A S H L E Y // R E F L E C T S
latest projects: aura interiors second hand homes
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#135 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 7:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sims1234
If you click on electronics and then small electronics it is mainly phones and no TVs or computers

Erm... there is a subcatagory for TV's and computers. The only things found in the 'small electronics' area are phones, clocks and burglar alarms...just like in game. Again, it's just like subcatagories in the game: TV's and computers have their own subcatagories. Go to :

Buy Mode>By Function>Electronics>TV's and Computers.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#136 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 9:27 AM
reflects, while thats been asked for before, and I can see the use, I deliberately haven't done it becuase it means people can't just tick it and not fill anything in - and it also means they have to check each package too. Yes it's tedious for things with a lot of content, but I think it's the best way to make sure of the package owners.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#137 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 10:33 AM Last edited by leesester : 28th Nov 2008 at 11:29 AM.
Default Profile page layout
Quote: Originally posted by Layana
As it stands now, we can "Search Downloads" or "Search Site." A lot of the time when I use "Search Site" I end up with many results from download threads.. can this be avoided?
For example, if I "Search Site" for "repository" because I want to learn that technique, I end up with many download pages stating they've used the technique on their items, when what I really want is just forum threads talking about it.
Under advanced searching, there's a box listing for "Search in Forum(s)," maybe there could be another box listing for "Exclude Forum(s)" or something? I hope you understand, and I apologize if there's something like this already in place that I've missed!
Also, on creators pages.. I'd like a way to tell when they update their uploads. Sometimes the thread gets marked as "updated" even it's just a simple typo they wanted to fix in the main text.

I vote for this too.....great idea for both search and updates. For the profile page, is it possible to change the layout of the page, a bit like the MYMTS2 page, so we can have journal at the bottom or the middle or whatever, most uploaded at top, middle etc?

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#138 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 11:47 AM
leesester, I have no plans to allow customisable profile pages just yet.

Lab Assistant
#139 Old 28th Nov 2008 at 8:06 PM
reflects, while thats been asked for before, and I can see the use, I deliberately haven't done it becuase it means people can't just tick it and not fill anything in - and it also means they have to check each package too. Yes it's tedious for things with a lot of content, but I think it's the best way to make sure of the package owners.

Yes, I see that as a problem; we don't want people falsely claiming things as their own.

However, you could also possibly side step this by not automatically filling in the first box (description); this would still force everyone to go through the actual packages, but for honest creators it would be a quicker process (copy & paste) than ticking boxes. I don't know - I suppose I'd rather help the honest more than hinder the dishonest. It's not like dishonest downloads can't be removed

Top Secret Researcher
#140 Old 29th Nov 2008 at 8:15 PM
I have been thinking about this for some time. Just remembered it now, and thought that I might want to post it so I can get it out of the way. Have you thought of adding something like an "LJ cut" to journals with lots of images or a journal entry that's too wordy before? I've noticed that when I go to view my journal that it takes a while to load, but maybe with a feature with tags like [cut]text and stuffs here[/cut] will chop down the size of the post, and the audience reading the journal will simply "click to read more" or the journal writer can customize the cut with something like [cut=Read On...]text and stuffs here[/cut]. I think that, quite possibly that will make the load times faster if one is only looking for a specific post, but they do not want to wade through waiting for a bazillion images to load.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#141 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 9:14 AM
Would it be an idea to mod the registration process so people can't pick usernames with dots in (or other characters that can cause anomalies)? I have seen various posts from people with problems resulting from having dots in their name.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#142 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 1:41 PM
fway, thats an interesting idea. I'll have to see how feasible that is to implement.

Inge, yeah I should probably do that at some point

Captain Louie
retired moderator
#143 Old 5th Dec 2008 at 4:12 AM
I think that if you have more than 20 or so picked uploads you should also be able to get the bar for most downloaded and personal picks for your page. It still gives the creators something to strive for, but also rewards those who still show quality work in their creations. Plus it gives a chance for lesser know creations made by the person to get some limelight, which is always apprecited by the lesser known creators. I think that alot of the creators out there would enjoy it.

And maybe to make it more fair, only a maximum of 2 personal picks instead of 3 like featured people get. I don't want to take away from the rewards of getting featured, but rather add to the rewards of being picked.

Thanks for your time,

Sincerely,

~Q
Zombie Socks
#144 Old 8th Dec 2008 at 11:24 PM
I'm a site helper that is almost always lurking or active in the creator feedback forum. One of the biggest and most obvious things I noticed when I was just starting out was how many uploads have the same problems. In the forum, there is the link to the thread that explains how to use the creator feedback forum, how NOT to use the creator feedback forume etc. etc.

I was wondering if I and some frequenters on the creative feedback forum could get together and make an FAQ list for the feedback forum to be on this thead? There are some issues that keep getting asked and pointed out again and again. 99% of these issues are things that are listed in the creator guidelines, but so few of the people on the creator feedback forums seem to READ those guidlines. For example, when creating custom sims, you have to create content for them if you want to get them uploaded. This fact is hidden deep in a mass of other suggestions for making sims so that, even if someone did skim through the guidlines, it's unlikely that they'd see it.

I love the creator feedback forum. Giving advice and talking with other creators on there is the highlight of my day! But I can't help but be frustrated when I keep seeing the same problems being repeated again and again three or four times a day. I think an FAQ would really help. I would be happy to put it together and know several people who would probably love to help that have frequented the forum for a long time.

Your thoughts?

Nintendork Island | Please call me WWW!| Despite what avatar says, loves all of mts <3
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#145 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 10:59 AM
whitewater: Sure, that sounds good - I think an FAQ would be helpful. If you want to organise it, we can have a read later on and suggest any improvements and tips.

Lab Assistant
#146 Old 9th Dec 2008 at 5:20 PM
A "random upload" button? Click it, and you get a random upload; haha.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#147 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 9:38 AM
Would it possible to add a spell check function for posts and uploads - I am always correcting spelling mistakes later....assuming I see them.

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#148 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 10:46 AM
leesester, Firefox has a built in spellchecker.

Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#149 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 10:59 AM
It does? I use firefox at home............will go and look for it (if it is turned on then FF can't spell either)

Scholar
#150 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 11:00 AM
This is more of a question I have than anything, when we place someone on ignore, does this mean we don't see any of their comments in threads? Or is this just for sending private messages? If it is just for private messages can we have it so we don't have to see any of their posts? I hope I have made sense.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Page 6 of 9