Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 7:34 AM
Yeah Daysies, a chart is a really sweet idea, sorry I'm doin my homework so I can't read the whole thread but I'm confused because my first lot to be uploaded is made with NL + UNI but I reduced content and didn't install Pets yet so people with less EPs can still use it. I know that lots created in Nightlife will always require it but does University affect the game engine or is it only the new content it brought?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 8:29 AM Last edited by niol : 10th Feb 2007 at 4:45 PM.
Unless when Uni content is used, UNI EP is not required. This seems to stay true for whatever combination with UNI from what I've heard somewhere.
So if that's true, lots made under UNI-NL without UNI contents still only require NL.

(updated...)"patul has confirmed that as false. sorry... "

It's more like a newer EP or SP should be able to run any lot made under older EP or SP while not the opposite way except the UNI EP without any UNI content.
(updated...)"patul has confirmed that as false. sorry... "
I guess the GLS is similar to OFB. Anyone willing to give out your testing results, please? I can have got some false impressions lol...
Surely, combinations of these EPs and SPs can allow the contents already included in these involved EPs and/or SPs.
According to the way how Maxis released the EP and SP so far, it's the EP that really affects the lot compatibility when SP-specific content is not used.

So, a table for compatibility is great to see the limits.

I've not read about anything about that cheats can affect compatibility, but at least I can tell lots made in UNI without any UNI content but with cheats remain compatible to the base game. N, that's how I do lots >5 levels and 45 degrees in the base game!

Questions:
lots made under NL without NL contents can work it any newer EP and/or SP without NL?
lots made under OFB without OFB contents can work it any newer EP and/or SP without OFB?
Altho I assume they may work, I've not tested them.

One important confusion that will raise is that:
which EP(s) one has can't determine if lots made by one will require. This is definitely true when one is using Numenor's BGS and/or has multiple game copies.

Supposing that I've TS2 & OFB doesn't mean all of my lots will need OFB when I build my shared lots under only the base game.

The only forward compatibility problem is suni's type of pool-based lakes and varieties. They only work and show properly under TS2 and/or UNI.
These lots won't cause crashes on newer EPs nor will show up properly under newer EPs! That makes many (but not all) of them useless in newer EPs.

Also, custom contents like objects (even not hacks) can be EP-specific as well.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 8:59 AM
Niol : tested with BGS (modify the registry keys)
Pets+NL+UNI and OFB lots : no crash, objects disapear
Pets+NL+UNI+FFS and OFB lots : no crash, objects disapear

FFS+UNI+NL and ofb lots : not compatible (crash) tested with and without CC and with a BG lot OFB repackaged

I have not GLS so I supose it is the same

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 7th Mar 2007 at 9:21 PM Last edited by ding140674 : 8th Mar 2007 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Restructed post
Created lots for testing compatibility for:

Edit version: Base game with all EPs & all Stuffs packs.

I'm not sure whether this is the correct place for posting. Please delete it If I'm wrong. .

I've all stuff packs & all EPs installed (including Seasons) at my laptop (windowXP).

I used my old PCs to sign in with different users accounts & have the following combinations installed :

Old PC 1 Win 95
Base game + FFS
Base game + GLS
Base game + FFS + GLS
Base game + uni
Base game + Uni + FFS
Base game + Uni + FFS + GLS

Old PC 2 Win 98
Base game + OFB
Base game + OFB + FFS
Base game + OFB + FFS + GLS
Base game + NL
Base game + NL + FFS
Base game + NL + FFS + GLS
Base game + Pets
Base game + Pets + FFS
Base game + Pets + FFS + GLS

Lots created with the followings combination works with or without objects & no conflicts reported:

Base game + FFS
Base game + GLS
Base game + FFS + GLS
Base game + uni
Base game + Uni + FFS
Base game + Uni + FFS + GLS
Base game + OFB + FFS + GLS
Base game + NL + FFS + GLS
Base game + Pets + FFS + GLS

However lots created with the followings combination causes game crashes with or without objects at my laptop. (The full stuffs packs & all Eps version.)

Base game + OFB
Base game + NL
Base game + Pets
Base game + OFB + FFS
Base game + NL + FFS
Base game + Pets + FFS

Only EP not affected :- University.

As far as I'm concern now, even If you have all stuffs packs & all EPs installed, there still will be conflict issues for lots downloaded.
Mad Poster
#55 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 3:11 AM
ding140674,

Thanks for your informative input...
But, I'm so slow that I get confused with which combinations are for lots and which are for game versions... Can you explain more, please?

Quote:
However the followings combination causes game crashes with or without objects:

Base game + OFB
Base game + NL
Base game + Pets
Base game + OFB + FFS
Base game + NL + FFS
Base game + Pets + FFS

Only EP not affected :- University.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 8th Mar 2007 at 6:54 AM Last edited by ding140674 : 8th Mar 2007 at 7:45 PM. Reason: Edit post
Quote: Originally posted by niol
ding140674,

Thanks for your informative input...
But, I'm so slow that I get confused with which combinations are for lots and which are for game versions... Can you explain more, please?

Game version: Base game with all stuffs packs & Eps versions installed.

Edit: The belows are combinations for creating Lots.

Hi, maybe If I explain in this way will be clearer .

I will leave Uni out because regardless of the combinations I've try so far, Uni Ep reports no error. Maybe I will try to test combinations of Uni with other EPs when I've the time.

Lots created without Objects using combination of the followings: (items=walls)

Base game + OFB
OFB items

Base game + NL
NL items

Base game + Pets
Pets items

Base game + FFS + OFB
OFB items only
FFS items only
OFB & FFS items

Base game + FFS + NL
NL items only
FFS items only
NL & FFS items

Base game + FFS + Pets
Pets items only
FFS items only
Pets & FFS items

Lots created with Objects using combination of the followings:

Base game + OFB
OFB Objects

Base game + NL
NL Objects

Base game + Pets
Pets Objects

Base game + FFS + OFB
OFB Objects only
FFS Objects only
OFB & FFS Objects

Base game + FFS + NL
NL Objects only
FFS Objects only
NL & FFS Objects

Base game + FFS + Pets
Pets Objects only
FFS Objects only
Pets & FFS Objects

The game crashes when I click at the lot bin of the game version I've installed at my laptop.

The game version is : BG+UNI+OFB+NL+Pets+Seasons+HFP+FFS+GLS
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 6:56 PM
Default HELP!! Lots with Base Game+Nightlife+Pets???
i was just wondering i saw the combinations you did with the EP's, and if the combination crashes your game or not, but i was wondering if you would know anything about this..... i have The Base Game (obviously :]) with Nightlife and Pets installed.... now i already have read the forums and i know that nightlife replaces many core game files, so i know any lots i make with this combination will require nightlife without question, but what about the pets? Will lots i make with this combination also require pets? Does the pets expansion replace files in the expansion packs below it.... I have been wanting to upload a lot and my plan is to leave all base game and nightlife items in it, and take out all pets. It will be a lot that requires nightlife, so that people with nightlife and not pets can use the lot, and people with pets can just stick the missing items there themselves..... is this possible, or will they need pets even with out pets items.......... there are also no pets building elements in the lot such as walls, flooring, and pets specific build tools....

id really appreciate it if someone would PM me with an answer because i've got terrible memory and ill forget to check back, and i hardly check email.....even if u post the answer here and PM telling me u posted would be very helpful..... or you could just buy me a new brain....
Mad Poster
#58 Old 31st Mar 2007 at 7:29 PM
Answered by Pm

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#59 Old 1st Apr 2007 at 7:13 AM
In my little test, in seasons, I can open Pets and UNI lots even I haven't them in that game copy while the lots have those EP objects...

Does that mean Seasons can open all versions of lots?
Field Researcher
#60 Old 21st Aug 2007 at 11:40 AM
I have all the stuff packs and eps including Seasons, but I created a house using buy and build materials from Uni, NightLife, OFB, and Pets only (I used the collections to make doubly sure I had the right content). Will those who don't have Seasons be able to use my house without problems or will Seasons be required? Thanks.

Once a tightly-furled bud, the house was slowly revealing itself to him, its petals unfolding to expose its secret beauty. ~When Shadows Whisper, P.1|Part 4|MSR Story List & FAQ|MSR Graphics
Mad Poster
#61 Old 22nd Aug 2007 at 6:50 AM
Ephemera, the Ep(s) is mandatory even for a single wall.
If you want to build or test something with a dowgraded game (as I do) you can use the useful Numenor's BaseGame Starter : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107015.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Field Researcher
#62 Old 22nd Aug 2007 at 12:01 PM
Default Thank you!
Quote: Originally posted by patul
Ephemera, the Ep(s) is mandatory even for a single wall.
If you want to build or test something with a dowgraded game (as I do) you can use the useful Numenor's BaseGame Starter : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=107015.

Thanks very much for the reply --- it helped! :lovestruc

Once a tightly-furled bud, the house was slowly revealing itself to him, its petals unfolding to expose its secret beauty. ~When Shadows Whisper, P.1|Part 4|MSR Story List & FAQ|MSR Graphics
Test Subject
#65 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 3:05 AM
Ok, I thought I understood all of this but the more I read, the more confused I become.

I'm using the base game starter on an "Up to GLS" setting to create my lots, so that I get the cool stuff included in GLS as well as all of the good building features in EP1-3. I have every pack except H&M and Bon Voyage so this means I'm basically running GLS & FFS too.

I understand that everything I create will require NL, but does OFB overwrite package files in the same fashion? Do "stuff" packs overwrite the game as well, or are they required only if the "stuff" is used? If so I'd be more than happy to roll back to OFB for floor plan building purposes.

_
This is next part only 50% off topic.
I made a lot in either Pets or Seasons (using only base-through-OFB items) and wanted to test in my Up2GLS game so I used the Clean Installer to load the lot into the Up2GLS mini-game downloads folder. When I loaded Up2GLS, the lot I made does not appear in the bin at all. I'd have thought that if it was a compatibility issue, the game would have crashed at least.
I double checked with SimPE and the package file is definitely the right one, in the right folder where I installed other custom content.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is this some new safety feature of the game, to not let you crash it on purpose?
Mad Poster
#66 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 6:05 AM
SP lack dont cause game crash but need your latest EP to run. BUT, with the BGS they need in your case OFB.

For the 2nd part. Your lot even for a single wall is an EP4-5 lot, so will not works with Upto GLS BGS game, it is a basicaly an EP3 game. To install lots for bgs games verify that the sim2import and sim2tmp files are il your "...sims - UptoGLS\teleport" folder to be shown, if not you can move it from the sim2 folder, as for downloads if needed.
Be careful with game crash... remove newer downloads in this case.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#67 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 4:24 PM
So, If you don't use content from a stuff pack, is it required?
Mad Poster
#68 Old 16th Sep 2007 at 5:54 PM
No, but you need to install the lot with the clean installer.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Unsocialized Homeschooler
#69 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 12:26 AM
Oh, ok. Thanks!
Test Subject
#70 Old 28th Oct 2007 at 1:15 PM
the only game that i know is back compatible is uni if there is no uni content included but in theory if you made a blank house (walls and i base game florring as roof) then it would work but it doesn't work like that (from my knowledge) as you have to have the right files in your game from the eps the houses are created with
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 24th Feb 2008 at 1:53 AM
i hope this helps:

From my own experience, even though i don't i have uni, i can still use unfurnished lots that require uni that have no cc. the only exception to that was the house "Waterfront" on thesimszone.co.uk. other than that, i've had no problems but i reccomend getting the ep/sp's needed so you can be 110% sure and have the features of that ep/ep too.

Bluemagikroo

May good fortune rule over you,
peace lie in your heart,
and the stars watch over you
Site Helper
#72 Old 24th Jul 2008 at 3:03 PM
Just FYI:

The problem is that EA has decided to write lots from each EP in a format which is incompatible with all previous EPs. I believe that University -> base game is the only exception to this.

A group of us are currently working on a project to reduce the EP-requirements for any lot. At this point, it's still in the proof-of-concept phase, but if you are interested in following the discussion, feel free to come and join us:

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...268#post1984268

My hope is that we can get the shell of a house (created with any EP) downgraded to work in an earlier EP: walls, floors, roofs, etc. You will still see flashing blue when things are missing, but the game will no longer crash or hang.
Test Subject
#73 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 5:04 AM
I hate asking this because i don't have the time to search through the answers, but I built a lot, and i have every single current expansion pack and stuff pack except for Celebration Stuff, Ikea Home Stuff, Freetime, and Kitchen and Bath Style Stuff. My questions is, if I decide to upload my building, is it necessary to list (in the EP required section) EP's that I have, even if I haven't used content from them? For examble, I have Teen Style Stuff. In my building, there's no Teen Style Stuff content. Do I have to list Teen Style Stuff as required?

Thanks,

Ian
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#74 Old 30th Jul 2008 at 5:33 AM
Yes, you will have to tick each box of every EP you had installed when you made the lot. Read Mootilda's post right above yours. The lot will crash the game if they don't have every EP you have installed. http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...me_Help:Bad_Lot Then they will have to find it in their user files to delete it. Not a pretty sight. There is an exception for Uni.

*Stuff* packs are another story. You need to list them, but people -can- install the lots without the stuff packs on their computers. To do this, they -have- to use the Clean Installer to put them into their game. If one doesn't have a stuff pack, the objects, walls, floors etc. just fail to show up when they place the lot.

All this is covered in the Creator Guidelines for lots and houses:
http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki.php...cks_Required.3F

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 3 of 3