Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 3:49 PM
Default Custom-shaped pools
Snooty sims has a tutorial on how to make custom-shaped pools and high-dives... By "custom", they mean non-rectangular - though you are still limited to right-angles (no circular or diagonal pools, sorry).
The quick description of the trick is to lay out the main part of your pool, then hold CTRL while drawing a second section to intersect your pool (activates the pool deletion tool - but we're not done yet!). Don't release the left mouse button yet- but hold SHIFT down, then release CTRL, and finally, release the left mouse button and immediately click again. Allows you to create L-shapes, etc.

The high-dive requires use of Moveobjects cheat, but they present some interesting methods. Of course, if ladders ever get implemented, this will look a lot better.

http://snootysims.com/custompool.php

http://snootysims.com/highdive.php

Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 4:20 PM
Just a followup - I haven't tested this method, but if theirs works, I can't see why mine wouldn't. I much prefer this look to theirs for a high-dive:

http://www.modthesims2.com/e107_files/public/12579_highdive.png

[img]e107_files/public/12579_highdive.png[/img]
<span class='smalltext'>[ 12579_highdive.png ][/i]
[ Edited Fri Oct 29 2004, 08:22AM ]
Test Subject
#3 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 6:02 PM
that highdive looks pretty cool 8) gotta try it
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 10:07 PM
well i tried the highdive but my sim couldn't jump from there... he walked on the board but came back complaining about something being in the way %-6
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 10:25 PM
The high dive dudn't work...either way...the SIm complains about something being in the way. Their way works...but not the one with walls and such.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2004 at 11:21 PM
hrm
Must be terrain related then. Pity. Thanks for the input - I've been working on a different project all day, and didn't want to go modding my community center
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 12:47 AM
It's because the game treats all ground (no matter what height it is) as ground-level (that's how the ten-story house and floating building effects are possible).

Therefore the snooty method still has the diving board at "ground-level", whereas your method had the board on "level two" (one level above ground).
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Oct 2004 at 6:02 AM
Good work guys! Does anybody here know of its possible, by using the trick they used for the 10 story building, to put a pool on a roof? Somebody posted this question in this forum, and i thought i'd try and help them answer their question. I'll try myself tomorrow, but i don't have any time tonight.
<span class='smallblacktext'>[ Edited Fri Oct 29 2004, 10:03PM ]</span>

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense." - Chapman Cohen
Field Researcher
#9 Old 31st Oct 2004 at 2:43 PM
Tested it and it look nice, but the jumping animation is stange, belive the problem is that the board is one tile away from the water, I dont have any idea how to solve this.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Nov 2004 at 3:52 AM
Which techniques did you use? Get any screen shots?
Field Researcher
#11 Old 1st Nov 2004 at 6:44 AM
Sorry don’t have the game here. But can provide screenshots of this.
I used the terrain tool and lifted the tile number two to the pool around 4 meters up, the tile next to the pool is not movable and became the sloped wall. Like http://snootysims.com/sitepics/high8.jpg
The problem is that because of the wall / ground tile the board is one tile to far away from the pool, this make the animation strange. If I place the diving board on the slope it will come halfway down the slope.
Does anybody know any way around this?

I will now try to build a high dive board in the basement with a hole up to the main floor, believe if I lift the basement floor I can have this indoor.
I have a house who is to large.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 1st Nov 2004 at 3:46 PM
Tried with indoor highjump, it works. You can not have it all the way up to the celling, but you can have a hole in the floor and see the diver and have a short stair down to the diving board. In a room without basement you can give it access from 2'th floor.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 15th Nov 2004 at 7:50 PM
I can only get the pool to 'extend' one time--so only an &quot;L&quot; shape possible. Has anyone gotten more than one extend (a zig zag effect?)
Forum Resident
#14 Old 15th Nov 2004 at 8:11 PM
Um....I've used decking, stacked on itself, to make a highdive. Sims with a high body point level will use it, while sims with a low body level will not. My low body level sims usually put up a thought bubble that indicates I'm crazy for thinking that they will jump, hehehehe

Like Pitch Black and CoR?
Visit GM_Andy's. My Home on the Web! My Sims2 stuff and files I'm caretaker of can be found here

Need a way to open that .rar file? Use the Sims2 File Maid.
Test Subject
#15 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 7:53 AM
I have made a pool shaped like a medics cross so it is possible. Try to do it by starting the extension away from the pool and drag in, instead of starting next to the pool and dragging out. That seems to work for me. I have also made lap pools that are only one tile wide using this method.
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 12:11 PM
Here's my work-in-progress waterpark with some REALLy high dives.

I've run into two problems with mine. (well, three, counting that annoying blue glass layer in the upper left corner). On the really high dives, my Sims tend to fal through the end of the board, land next to the pool at ground level and then dive in. I wonder if it's a program limitation, or whether I've done something wrong?

Finally, as you can see the Ctrl + Left mouse button method has worked pretty well for me. Unfortunately after awhile it simply refuses to let me lay down anymore pool area. That section sticking out into the pool in the lower right for example was going to be an island, but the program simply refused to let me build that last segment of pool.

I wonder if there's a limit to how many pool tiles you can have in one lot?
[ Edited 26-11-2004 12:12PM ]
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 5:42 PM
here is my water park created about 2 weeks ago but
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot_detail.php?asset_id=52868&search=1&asset_type=lot&key=jimboownage&order=CREATION_DATE+desc&nrows=5&zoneType=&familyFund=&familyWorth=&familySize=&locality=&country=&view=
uploaded it yesterday on ts2 exchange
I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEY CAN ONLY BE CONNECTED TO LAND NOT PARTS OF UR HOUSE

go to http://www.sim-mart.com
I make the lots for them
Deviant Savant
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Nov 2004 at 5:51 PM
Panda,

I had a problem with the blue glass layer as well. I don't know how well this would work in your layout. This might not make sense either.. If you add another pool section, even one sqaure, somewhere that touches or shares an edge with that blue layer it will disappear, even if it's not on the same level. I had the same problem in my park (which looks like crap compared to yours ) Somewhere like that small slide off the big pool.. if you add a section to that or make it wider, then the blue layer should disappear. Feel free to PM me if you need a clearer explanation.

"I guess I should warn you: If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 28th Nov 2004 at 7:56 AM
Wow, so many pools...Ive wondered how you can get it that why Ive tired, but ive found Snootys Site and Im gonna try it out..Wish me luck.

My Sims 2 Site
www.mbs2d.com
Test Subject
#20 Old 28th Nov 2004 at 11:54 AM
CynicalChick - Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately the game simply refuses to allow me to lay down or delete anymore pool tile. I'm thinking perhaps the game either has a preset limit, or else my video card can't handle anymore pool tiles.
So, I'm gonna try rebuilding from scratch.

Quote: Originally posted by martinisthebest
Wow, so many pools...Ive wondered how you can get it that why Ive tired, but ive found Snootys Site and Im gonna try it out..Wish me luck.

Good luck! It's a little tricky at first, but easy once you get the hang of it.

[ Edited 28-11-2004 11:57AM ]
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 28th Nov 2004 at 6:01 PM
Have you all seen this pool yet? !amazed It's from a German site I think.
Here is the url for it. http://www.messal.org/Schwimmparadies/index.html

~Linda~
Forum Resident
#22 Old 28th Nov 2004 at 10:29 PM Last edited by Mutantbunny : 7th Dec 2004 at 11:34 PM.
I can only 'add' one section on my pools (which forms an L shape.) Schimmparadise obviously has added many sections! How did s/he do that??

Sometimes it does allow more than one extension--but is totally unpredictable
Test Subject
#23 Old 7th Aug 2005 at 12:11 AM
Is it actualy possible to put a diving board, next to a lake with the moveobjects cheat, and your sims will actually jump in. I tried it, but they complain that something is in the way? Could someone please help me?!
Test Subject
#24 Old 5th Sep 2005 at 3:22 AM
I would like to know how to get diagonal pool lines. I know Maxis people can do it; i've seen a pic someplace, but i sure can't seem to do it. Heck, i am barely savvy enough for adjoining pool parts. Also, does anybody know how to delete the pool parts added by ctrl + click + shift - ctrl + click? I added parts and now cannot delete them, not even by leveling out the ground or any other simple way. Thanks
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 5th Sep 2005 at 4:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bomb_soda
I would like to know how to get diagonal pool lines. I know Maxis people can do it; i've seen a pic someplace, but i sure can't seem to do it. Heck, i am barely savvy enough for adjoining pool parts. Also, does anybody know how to delete the pool parts added by ctrl + click + shift - ctrl + click? I added parts and now cannot delete them, not even by leveling out the ground or any other simple way. Thanks

Diagonal pools are made possible in the Nightlife expansion.
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 1 of 2