Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 9:44 AM
Default Notice of upcoming downtime for MTS
Hi all,

The current server that MTS runs on (an E5-1620 v3) is a little over 5 years old now, and has served the site very well with very few hiccups and issues.   However, the time has come to sunset that server and replace it with a new one (an E-2288G) as this provides an upgrade to faster NVMe disks, a better CPU, and unmetered traffic.  

To that end, I will be taking the site offline Monday 8th June 2020 at approximately:

- 9:00am CEST (Central European Summer Time)
- 7:00am UTC

For those of you in the US timezones:
- 3:00am EDT 
- 1:00am MDT
- 12:00AM PDT

This means that the site, including all downloads will be unavailable from that time.  I will attempt to get the contents of the site transferred over the weekend, to minimize downtime, however, I cannot yet estimate the downtime in hours as there will be tweaking and optimisations, as well as DNS changes that are outside my control.

Thanks for reading. 
T.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
31 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 3:01 PM
The downloads, when the site is back up again, they will still be here, right?
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#3 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 4:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candyboot
The downloads, when the site is back up again, they will still be here, right?
Oh yes! Nothing should disappear . So once it's live again, everything should be the same as it is right now.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 10:30 PM
How cool!
Hope the transition goes smoothly, for the sake of all you admins.
Thanks for your work, and the heads up!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 11:55 PM
Suggestion: remove the 30 second cooldown on the search function. I get why it's there but 30 seconds is kind of a lot. Either way good news.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 2:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Suggestion: remove the 30 second cooldown on the search function. I get why it's there but 30 seconds is kind of a lot. Either way good news.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but why is it there in the first place?

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 3:07 AM
To prevent the server from being flooded by search requests, which I'm sure could potentially be a burden on site resources if thousands of people were actively sending them out every couple of seconds. But a 30 second cooldown is just completely excessive. Feels like a leftover of this site's early Web 2.0 origins, in some ways it hasn't quite left the mid-2000s yet.

Okay, that's unfair. I'll say late 2000s. The team's done a lot of good work over the past few years, and I don't want to overestimate the sheer state of the internet in 2007-2010 or so. I went on the Wayback Machine a few days ago and was horrified to see what we considered acceptable back then.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
#8 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 11:34 AM
Thanks for announcing this - Just in case I try to log on Monday and go 'wut!?' - It will give me good time to continue polishing my WIPs.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 1:44 PM
Thanks for the warning!

And also, thanks so much for this amaaaaaaazing website <3<3<3
Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 2:28 PM
Thanks for the warning so I don't try to visit expecting it to be up at that time.I'll spend that time working on rules for homestteader's challenge and the TOT challenge when I'm not playing my game in my BACC.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 2:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up, hope it goes smoothly!

~*~ Star light, star bright, I am Starry Might! ~*~
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jun 2020 at 10:23 PM
Thanks for the notice, this site is great and I love posting my creations on here! Hope it all goes well
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 9:51 PM
Everything looks great - and back to normal Thanks!

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Test Subject
#14 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 9:55 PM
Welcome back.

The site seems to load much faster anyway.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 10:13 PM
As the banner says, I'm still waiting for the last of the thumbnail and image attachments to finish copying.  (Copying 400gb of small files takes wayyy longer than a corresponding archives).

As of this moment the automated scripts for trending and some cleanups are disabled and will be re-enabled tomorrow.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 10:35 PM
Is it just me, or did this happen 12 hours later than it was advertised it was going to happen?
Mad Poster
#17 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 10:45 PM
Took a lot longer than laid out, yeah. But the site's definitely somewhat quicker now, pages take about a second and a half to load up but then they're all there immediately. Still, that search function countdown is damn annoying and only stands out even more now. The whole View Profile > Posts & Groups > Find all posts < Posts & Groups > Find all threads routine I go through almost every morning still takes way too long because of it.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 11:01 PM
Something still isn't right. I can't get it to only show me downloads for Sims 4 even when specifically selecting it in the search filter. It wants to show me everything no matter what I select.
Mad Poster
#19 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 11:03 PM
Yes, I am seeing Sims 3 and 4 downloads if I go to Sims 2 downloads from the dropdown, too.
Test Subject
#20 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 11:06 PM
So I see things are back up, but it is not letting me go with just sims 3 or sims 4, it is lumping sims 2, 3, and 4 all together, i do not want to have to check each and ever thing to make sure it is for the game i am wanting. Also some of the uploads seem to be missing the images to them, alot of the ones I looked at were missing most if not all the images.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 8th Jun 2020 at 11:09 PM
Sorry to add, Just same as everyone else, downloads aren't Filtering.

Still love ya all, good luck

ClicknPsycho
Instructor
#22 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 1:32 AM
I also came here because filters aren't working. I'm glad it isn't just me.
Test Subject
#23 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 3:16 AM
+1 unable to filter
Test Subject
#24 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 6:35 AM
Another unable to filter.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 7:10 AM
I've been getting all downloads mixed together when I go to select Sims 2 or TS3 downloads and get the TS4 one lumped in with the other ones.I don't have TS4 and would have wished those ones could've at least been filtered out as I play the other two games equally.
Page 1 of 2