Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 3:30 PM
Default New games to try during Coronavirus home quarantine
Hello everyone,

Probably like many of you, I've started to stay at home to wait out the Coronavirus outbreak, since both our government and health professionals around the world have encouraged social distancing measures. I'm trying to keep myself calm by playing video games, it has been difficult to concentrate and "have fun" but I'm trying to distract myself as much as I can. I was wondering if you guys have any games that you can recommend to keep our mind off the unsettling atmosphere currently around us?

Thank you for any suggestions, stay safe!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 4:01 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 18th Mar 2020 at 4:19 PM.
Honestly, I'm not that bothered about the social distancing part. Social distancing gives me a perfectly good excuse to do what I prefer to do anyway, which is to have very little contact with people except for when I have to, such as for work, grocery shopping, and other necessary social contact. I already get more than enough social contact from sharing a house with another person, and if it was up to me I'd prefer a bit less... I'm happy to just be able to enjoy some silence, read a book, play some Sims, and maybe finally have some energy resources left over to get something done with a simming project I've had on hold for quite some time.

Other things to do than video games could be reading, a creative hobby, playing board games, sorting files on your computer, doing some cleaning in a corner of the house that needs it, rearranging the fridge or wardrobe, watch a good movie, learn a new recipe... If you're bored of video games, there's always something else to do. If you really want to do video games, maybe now's the time to do something you haven't done before - a challenge (plenty of tips on Youtube for other games than Sims), a story, learning to make CC - basically do something you haven't done before, or something you've put off. Now is absolutely the time to do something new.
Theorist
#3 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 4:16 PM
You could go on Steam and see what they have. I used to like the Emily Delicious games, Coffee Rush, Diner Rush type games.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Honestly, I'm not that bothered about the social distancing part. Social distancing gives me a perfectly good excuse to do what I prefer to do anyway, which is to have very little contact with people except for when I have to, such as for work, grocery shopping, and other necessary social contact. I already get more than enough social contact from sharing a house with another person, and if it was up to me I'd prefer a bit less... I'm happy to just be able to enjoy some silence, read a book, play some Sims, and maybe finally have some energy resources left over to get something done with a simming project I've had on hold for quite some time.

Other things to do than video games could be reading, a creative hobby, playing board games, sorting files on your computer, doing some cleaning in a corner of the house that needs it, rearranging the fridge or wardrobe, watch a good movie, learn a new recipe... If you're bored of video games, there's always something else to do. If you really want to do video games, maybe now's the time to do something you haven't done before - a challenge (plenty of tips on Youtube for other games than Sims), a story, learning to make CC - basically do something you haven't done before, or something you've put off. Now is absolutely the time to do something new.

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually did dig up my old painting equipment from school and plan to do some painting starting this week. I normally really enjoy reading too but like I said, I find it difficult to focus on my usual hobbies due to the sudden change of what was "normal" in the real life, hence my quest to try out new things. And sooner or later I will get into some creative cooking since all the restaurants are currently closed as well... Oh well, let's just try to keep safe and try not to go stir crazy in the process...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Mar 2020 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HCAC
You could go on Steam and see what they have. I used to like the Emily Delicious games, Coffee Rush, Diner Rush type games.

My brother has been asking to play Overcooked together, maybe I can try that? I also saw I have Saints Row (3 & 4) on Steam, might also try some mindless action. Thanks for the suggestions!
#6 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 3:44 AM
As an introvert, social distancing isn't a huge issue for me, either. As stated before, there are quite a few games or some hobbies that you could try during the quarantine period to keep you busy. Personally, I like to stick with video games, but you can also try knitting/crocheting, reading, writing, and others. There's quite a bit to try that I haven't really gotten to yet because the school chose to make my classes remote.

That, and I'm waiting for the FF7 remake to arrive. I understand the physical copy may be delayed due to this damn Coronavirus, but patience is a virtue, and I've heard some good things about the demo release recently, so I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

So yeah, as of right now, classes have been keeping me busy, but I've been doing my best to cope. Just do your best and it'll all be fine in the end.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 10:54 AM
One word of advice: don't do self quarantines longer than you can handle. I can go for up to a 35-day quarantine because I used to do a detox to process out medicine built up in my system, but I am fearing I may be stuck inside for 56 days.

However, there is a likelihood I may have to venture out to work on psychiatric medicine with my med doctor Dr. KW.

With that said, if you have an Xbox 360 controller or higher, there are some choice Sonic the Hedgehog games on Steam that supports the controller. Some come from varying eras since the Sonic Adventure series. If you haven't played these games, I highly recommend it.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 4:16 PM
In case someone needs some socialization (or are going stir-crazy from not seeing other people), or suffer from cabin sickness in general, there are ways around it.

If you are allowed to (without breaking quarantine rules or being too close to other people), it can be a good idea to take a quick walk to get some fresh air. Skyping (or some other form of video-chat) with some friends/relatives, or calling someone just to talk is also a good idea if you need to be a bit social but can't be physically together with them. If you play online games with someone, that's another option, as you can play and chat at the same time. If you have people living in the same house as you, try board games or some kind of indoor activity together. If you have pets, they may need some extra care, too.

For "outdoor" activities done indoors or just outside - maybe take a "walk" with Google Maps, search for outdoor pictures and pretend to be there, read a story about someone being outdoors, watch nature videos, or set up a tent in the garden (or veranda, or living room floor) and pretend to be on a tent trip (can be fun if you have kids or younger siblings and need to activize them a bit - if you don't have a tent, some chairs and blankets do the same trick indoors).
Instructor
#9 Old 19th Mar 2020 at 6:36 PM
Further recommendations for some "safe" socialization from home, if you like videogames:

- There is a creative sandbox MMO I haven't played for ages, but still exists: Second Life. You can register for free, create an avatar and... go where you want, do what you're interested in. There's not as much activity there as 10 years ago - that was the heyday - but last time I logged in, there were several online DJ parties going on, or live shows with online singers and musicians. Second Life is the best option, imho, if you want to stay at home in PJs in front of your screen, but at the same time want to go and have some LOUD party, with your avatar wearing perfect outfit and make-up, with dozens of other people's avatars around you, who you can socialize with.

- If you like medieval RPGs and haven't tried Elder Scrolls Online yet because you consider yourself 100% single-player, try it now. ESO is an MMO, but most of its content can be played solo. Many of its players come from single-player games, so you will arrive to a like-minded, friendly community. If you're in need of feeling people move and chat around you, ESO will give you that, and the players who will be running around you in those fantasy medieval cities, are generally mature and polite folks.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 6:54 PM
There are two free games available for a short time on Steam.
-Tomb Raider GOTY Edition
-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
Ends Monday 3/23 11:59 PM PDT

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
In case someone needs some socialization (or are going stir-crazy from not seeing other people), or suffer from cabin sickness in general, there are ways around it.

For "outdoor" activities done indoors or just outside - maybe take a "walk" with Google Maps, search for outdoor pictures and pretend to be there, read a story about someone being outdoors, watch nature videos, or set up a tent in the garden (or veranda, or living room floor) and pretend to be on a tent trip (can be fun if you have kids or younger siblings and need to activize them a bit - if you don't have a tent, some chairs and blankets do the same trick indoors).

There are plenty of youtube videos that can allow you to pretend you're outdoors. Virtual running track, for example, where you can jog on the spot and follow the track through wherever.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 6:39 AM
Try downloading the original Windows 95 version of Gazillionaire Deluxe. It's a very fun game, and there are places where you can get it bundled with DOSBox. Or if you don't have the klepto trait, you can get it on Steam.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 7:48 AM
It looks like they found a cure for Covid-19 using existing drugs. Both wonderful and sad, if the cure is so simple yet so many people died. I hope it pans out, but I was getting used to staying home all day playing games and trolling the forums.
Screenshots

Sims are better than us.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 8:26 AM
Mad Poster
#15 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 8:54 AM
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 22nd Mar 2020 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
I just can't wait for things to get back to somewhat normal.

Me too.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 2:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
It looks like they found a cure for Covid-19 using existing drugs. Both wonderful and sad, if the cure is so simple yet so many people died. I hope it pans out, but I was getting used to staying home all day playing games and trolling the forums.

This has not been proven to be the case. At best, it's speculation-and at worst, it's pure conjecture. Don't give false hope where there is none. Dr. Fauci has said that they will try to see if it is possible. Not that it is.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of scientists and researchers racing against time to put a vaccine out for this-but it takes time for trials and results. The best estimate of when we can even look forward to a possible vaccine is at least 6 months from now, and a true vaccine could take at least a year.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Instructor
#18 Old 23rd Mar 2020 at 3:45 PM
you can use things you never did while you have it at home, me for examble, i had a colour pages but with puzzle versions, i rarely started it, i got a few other puzzles aswell to keep myself busy
i have mandala colour pages i can do since i rarely use it, i haven't done diamond painting while i had it right before christmas,

and if i'm not doing any of this, i play sims, watch youtube videos, in contact with my parents by video calling or just whatsapp, using discord to talk to people, watch episodes i've missed (dutch language such as Spangas and Brugklas (Brugklas means junior) these both series have to do with school) and also get up late since i'm not that active :3

at first the ministers/secretary said i could go to work in 6th of april but they moved it to 30th of April, i don't know how to survive any of that but i do hope i can slowly get start on the things i said, not TOO fast though so the times flies by fast
Mad Poster
#19 Old 24th Mar 2020 at 2:22 AM
Not exactly new, but if you've never tried Stardew Valley, I'd highly recommend it. It's very engaging, along the lines of Harvest Moon, with lots of backstories and layers. It was created by a single guy who only brought on others when he opened it up to a multi-player mode. It can be played either way. The cost is incredibly affordable.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Scholar
#20 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 12:07 PM
I forget the name of the game but its the one where a person has a word and has to draw it and people need to guess it? A friend has been sending me a link to join her and her friends everytime they play. Its fun.

There's an online cards against humanity thing. Xyz or something like that. Haven't played it during this quarantine period, but its something.

I found a mobile game the other day called cafe racer. You pretty much drive a motor bike around. I'm using toddler mode cos I suck
Mad Poster
#21 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 4:02 PM
^ Pictionary, I think it's called (there's also Charades, which is the miming version).

Cards against Humanity is fun - but you need to find the right kinds of people to play with (everyone needs a solid dose of humor, and can't be easily offended).
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 25th Mar 2020 at 5:07 PM
I purchased Age of Empires on Steam. I used to play it when it first came out. It's kinda violent but there's lots of strategy.
I also bought Uno and thought I'd try Garry's mod.
Uno I had before and I remember it being bad, but I'm not sure this is the same "Uno" that I got a refund on. I haven't played it yet. I read that Gary's Mod is now unplayable after I bought it. So, I don't recommend either of those

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 1:06 AM
I love Age of Empires! Conquerors edition, right? Fans keep updating that game, it's crazy!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 26th Mar 2020 at 11:48 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 3rd Apr 2020 at 3:35 PM.
Space Pony
#25 Old 11th Apr 2020 at 7:22 AM
I started playing Tekken again. I would get hooked on treasure chest mode.

Dag-Dag
Page 1 of 2