Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 2:30 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 21st Nov 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Right now I'm trying to remove this virus and I am not downloading anything more. I've uninstalled this snapdo that download link gave me and after a huge amount of trouble got my tool bars back and my home page back. I'm not risking anything more, thanks. <_<

I have no idea about 'fishiness' Is there something wrong with 2 slots? Or do you think the box I'm looking at isn't the current Motherboard? I know the tech guy gave me a new motherboard when he upgraded it a year ago, I asume this box is that motherboard, but I guess it could be from the first motherboard if the report I posted disagrees with what the box says. I asked dh and he thought it was the box from the current motherboard and he says it's only had two.

Now that i have this back and running-although I'm not to sure it's fully clean of this virus as a folder I put in my recycle bin keeps trying to be accesed and can't.

Quote:
CPU (CPU Info) & memory is?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 11:56 AM Last edited by Belzader : 21st Nov 2012 at 12:20 PM.
I'm truely sorry that it gave you a browser highjacker i had no idea about that i've had SIW for a very long time and the version i have didn't have that, the link is changed.

I found this on howto remove it:
http://www.sevenforums.com/system-s...ind-remove.html

I was right about there was fishiness, now two programs have listed your motherboard as M4A78LT-M LE not M2N68, so if it's really that one, it makes things diffrent as that have only two RAM slots and use DDR-3, so upgrading the memory is diffrent as you need to get 2x4GB to get 8GB, that isn't a bad thing as DRR-3 RAM is cheaper.

Also that board don't really need BIOS to be updated, they have made some stability improvemenst though, so it wouldn't hurt to do it.

About if the tech guy should now about if BIOS needs to be updated, that's not sure, i have worked in a computer repairshop and we seldom did that unless there was some problems we suspected was related to BIOS, as i wrote earlier it's a big thing to do, and things can go wrong.

I agree with d_dgjdhh that to get complete confirmation on which it actually is, the computer needs to be opened to check which it actually is.
This would the techguy see though when he open it to upgrade, so you proberly just have to tell him to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, things is ofc diffrent if you have to buy the RAM your self first, in that case we need confirmation which motherboard it actually is.

Edit:
The pics you posted where it show the RAM imo confirms it actually is the M4A78LT-M LE and not M2N68. as it show that your RAM is DDR-3.
About the virus, it's proberly still running in the background, which is why you get that it can't be accessed.
This part is technical but hopefully you and dh can manage to do it.
Goto start menu and in run type "msconfig" this will open a window called system configuration, choose the tab startup, this will list all programs that is configured to start with windows, look for any suspicius ones, if you don't know what something is search on program name, to disable a program from starting untck the check box for it.

I want my Space Pony title back.. why was it there such a short time..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 12:20 PM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 21st Nov 2012 at 12:32 PM.
I know you didn't mean to give me a browser highjacker I was just cranky, so sorry if I was snappy. Unlike the guy in that link, snapdo was under uninstal programs on my computer so I did that and searched for all the files Google turned up and then I found this folder called 'Open Candy' I figure I will leave that folder of files in my recycle bin and dh tech friend who has stuff to do with data recovery and virus protection can check it out. Just in case not all the files in there belong to that thing I didn't want to fully remove it. A folder called 'Open Candy' with that green snapdo symbol inside it couldn't be much else I thought. Getting my home page back was harder and I think I googled that too. luvs me some Google.

The box still has a M2N68 motherboard user guide and disk. I don't pay a huge amount of attention to these things, but the booklet and the disk are green and a green screen shows up on start up. Could that program somehow show the motherboard I had before this one? It was upgraded sometime is 2011. Dh says there are two RAM slots and I remember the guy said he would add another stick of RAM back when he upgraded it. When dh took the side off to blow it out he pointed out the two RAM slots. He isn't very techy either, but he's not a total noob like I am.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#29 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 1:16 PM
The green screen you see on startup is from BIOS, 99% of all motherboards show a screen like that and it's purpose is to hide what's going on when computer does it's initial boot up, which is "searching & testing" things like the CPU, RAM & harddrives.
If you out of curosity wanto see what it show, you can press tab key or esc key and that picture will be removed and you will see it, this is called POST (Power On Self Test) Screen.

The brand and model of motherboard is printed somewhere on the board it self so it's easy the check which it actually is when the side of case is removed, the text should be white.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 9:03 PM
I watched it starting this morning and when the green screen popped up it looked like a longer number not M2N68 so it might have been that other one. I'm really confused. Or don't you think that was the motherboards number at all? Same green pattern as the box, but it could just mean it's the same brand. The box and things inside it all seem far to clean and new (some small cords are still in plastic) for it not to be the motherboard that he used. Maybe this board has two numbers. Once we open it again or he does I'll jot down those white numbers because it's really getting very curious.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#31 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 10:58 PM
Maybe the tech guy made a mistake by installing the wrong motherboard during the upgrade in 2011?

Does your box look like this?
...or something else?

Maybe the tech guy repackaged the parts in a separate box, perhaps losing the original box for your motherboard?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 11:16 PM
The box is very close to that except it doesn't have -AM and a couple of the smaller pictures are slightly different, so maybe it's the model before or after that. He was a fairly causal kind of guy so it's possible he just used a handy box but it does come with the instruction booklet and a disk for the M2N68.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#33 Old 21st Nov 2012 at 11:37 PM
So then something like this?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 12:35 AM
Bingo on the box, except no web address. Inside I don't know as he would have used some stuff. In plastic I have some short type cords labeld RoHS. Those are red, green, and blue with a larger black central plug thing. Also some black cord in plastic with a yellow end. They may have come off something else and he just put them all in the box. User guide and disk look the same. Are we closer to solving the mystery or this Mother board? I don’t get how the programs can give anything but what is in there.

Also something keeps trying to access those hijack files that I put in the recycle bin as it does that little sound and puts up a window with a red X saying it can't be found. Not sure if I should be amused or annoyed. I don't want to toss them until dh friend can look them over though. I guess seeing I uninstalled it, reset my home page, moved those files and my virus adware program found and quarantined something from it, it's all safe.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#35 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:37 AM Last edited by Belzader : 22nd Nov 2012 at 9:50 AM.
We are getting closer on solving the motherboard mystery.
If you press pausebreak key when it show the green image as computer is starting up, it should stay, so you can see what's on it, it will most likely show the model number of motherboard.

It can be quite hard to get it to stay as it's for just there for a few seconds, so when you have pushed the power on button start pressing pausebreak key.
To get computer to continue the start up press enter key.

That you get the error message that files can't be found, could be related to the Open Candy folder you deleted.
It could also be related to the files your anti adware program quarantined/deleted as sometimes they're "stupid" and don't remove the references files might have, they just remove the files.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 22nd Nov 2012 at 10:00 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 27th Nov 2012 at 4:02 AM.
Never heard of pause break key, but I found it on my keyboard, so I'll try it when I start up in the morning-so long as I am awake enough to remember It’s one of the first things I do each day.

Edit: I've tried twice now and the green screen does not stay up and I'm hitting that key as fast as I can. I jotted down M4 before it went off.

Finally it stayed on for me to copy down. M4A78LT-MLE which makes no sense given the box as dh thought everything was in plastic when he opened the box.

~Call me Jo~

Page 2 of 2