Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
In the Arena
retired moderator
#26 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 6:42 AM
The Processor you linked to is out of stock.

Didn't the many, many links I provided not answer the question of "how to choose a processor"?
There's more to processors than just benchmarks. I only use benchmarks once I have a handful I've shortlisted as "potential candidates". They are useful when comparing those of the same technology Tier, with similar technical criteria as the only thing the benchmarks tell me at that point is Performance and Pricing Hierarchy within that Tier.

Quote: Originally posted by callistra
You have an Acer Power FH with an ECS 946GZT-AM made specifically for Acer. It is mini itx, the tower is small, and upgrades are limited.

And as Callistra mentioned, this upgrade may be moot if you're not switching Casings/Chassis as the CPU (and/or new GPU) may not even fit in the casing, provided there is even a CPU model that is still supported by that motherboard, that is still in stock. When the upgrade is not even guaranteed to provide improved performance, if you're not changing the trifecta components ie CPU (+ Motherboard), RAM & GPU, do you still want to upgrade ?

I mean, as of now, looks like there's no longer any Processor available for that motherboard. So, if you switch motherboards, you'd need to switch casings as the current casing may not fit the basix ATX motherboard - you can go mini-motherboard of course, but you'll end up with this very same issue the next upgrade cycle. And when the motherboard is changed, the RAM may not be compatible anymore...

And if you're switching casings, would not the extra few hundred or so for new motherboard+CPU, (new) RAM & new GPU give you a better peace of mind that you won't need to upgrade for another 2 years at least? Because I can guarantee you that not doing a full upgrade now, and just looking for a "needle-in-a-haystack" in-stock CPU that may fit that ITX motherboard may mean you need another upgrade soon, as that component is considered "aged" and its lifetime at this point is numbered.

Search results to explain motherboard sizes - http://bit.ly/rKkt3P. That first Wikipedia article has pictures to explain all the gobbledygook of the confusing text.

This is why buying OEM Desktops with "mini" or "slim" in its marketing spin of a Description is generally bad, as their upgrade choices are limited if not totally nil.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st Dec 2011 at 3:49 PM
Aw! It looks like I'll be waiting a few more years for an upgrade of some type then. We'll just have to see. Thankyou for your patience and answers everyone, you've all been great! Happy Simming, Simmie

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 12:20 PM
Hey, wait a minute... Last night, I experienced my first BSOD. And then about an hour later, I got another one. And then another. And then this morning another one. And then another one... I'm worried! I searched blue screens on the internet and got all of this "Buy a new computer!" And stuff like that. So there's no way to fix this? What? Huh? Why? What? AH!

*Dies*

CHOCKLAT.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#29 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 12:31 PM
It depends entirely on what the BSOD says. Sometimes it's as simple as a driver issue. Other times, it can be indicative of a hardware failure. Or maybe something else. No way of knowing without the BSOD error text.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 2:32 PM
Right, I'll turn on my computer, and leave it on for about 20 minutes, that's roughly how long it lasts before having a blue screen fit and turning off. It's going to be hard to read the bluescreen though, it only stays on for half a second. I'll have to take a picture or something.

CHOCKLAT.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#31 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 3:20 PM
If you have a camera that can take video and then view it frame by frame (either on the camera, or transfer it to another computer to view) that works really well for those super fast BSODs. I had to do that with my old PC as it just would not stay on long enough to read the error.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#32 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 3:40 PM
If the machine will stay on long enough for you to log in (which it sounds like it will), then you can turn off the auto-reboot, so you have time to read the error before it disappears. Instructions for Windows 7: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windo...t-windows-7.htm - if you're on another version of Windows, we can find some instructions if you let us know.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#33 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 10:13 PM
Well it as extra hard to take a picture! (Not knowing when it's just going to flash blue) And I missed it. So I'm going to do it the hard way. There were some Windows updates available, so I installed them. They were all important. And it hasn't bluescreened again yet, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

CHOCKLAT.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#34 Old 4th Jan 2012 at 10:17 PM
Oh, turning off the restart isn't the hard way - it takes all of a minute and a half .

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#35 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 9:34 PM
Okay, sorry to post four times, but if you edit, the thread doesn't bump back to the top of the list. And this is quite urgent. My computer seems to be rechecking automatic restart. Erm. Why?

CHOCKLAT.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#36 Old 7th Jan 2012 at 9:59 PM
Are you logged in as an administrator? If not, you probably need to be. It may also make sense to reboot normally directly after unchecking the box, in case the setting isn't saved until the computer shuts down, in which case a BSOD would wipe it out.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#37 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 1:06 AM
My account is a Administrator account, and the computer had already been shut down and booted up again before the next BSOD. I'll try again.

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 1:19 AM
... It's being a bitch. What is wrong with it?
Everything I uncheck under the System Failure column rechecks itself. Who does it think it is?!

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#39 Old 8th Jan 2012 at 5:36 PM Last edited by Simmie : 8th Jan 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Could I restore my computer back to factory settings? I've tried, but I can't find out how because I don't have a disk. My manufacturer is Acer. Anyone know?

EDIT:
I've been researching on Google, and apparently there is a tool called Erecovery for Acer products, which is something I don't have, and really need, and can't download. Grr.

CHOCKLAT.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#40 Old 10th Jan 2012 at 9:46 AM
Turn off the AutoRestart from Safe Mode? I dunno if it is possible to do this, but it is another thing to try.

You don't know what changed to kick off all this "BSOD-ing"?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#41 Old 11th Jan 2012 at 8:42 PM
NO idea. I will try in Safemode, and I'll report back to you.
(Finally, a reply!)

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 11th Jan 2012 at 8:57 PM
Erm... I would boot in Safe Mode, except my computer is completely retarded and doesn't like F8 or ALT & F10 Or DEL Or F12. Nothing. For goodness sake. Why is mine so different from everyone else's?

EDIT:

I've just started noticing that Windows has also failed to start. Most of the time I turn on my PC it says that.
Somebody save me!

CHOCKLAT.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#43 Old 11th Jan 2012 at 10:57 PM
Perhaps set up Safe Mode in msconfig instead?

And from the sounds of it, time to backup! :s

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 9:54 PM
Okay, I know this hasn't had a reply for over a month, but I need you guy's help AGAIN. I haven't been active because of my Minecraft adventure map. Check it out here! Anyway, my computer is now unusable due to a unsupported resolution. I was trying to alter it because of connecting it to a new TV. And now, I'm stuck messing about with things in Safemode. BUT, because of my PC's retardedness, changing the resolution in Control Panel in Safemode and then restarting DOESN'T do anything.
The progress of the blue screen is good, it seems to be slowly happening less and less. Maybe an outdated driver? Who knows. But it's going away, so good. I'm trying to stay interested in Sims, but it's hard. Sheesh.

CHOCKLAT.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#45 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 10:12 AM
Resolution could be being controlled by your graphics driver. Not something that'd normally be suggested... but have you tried uninstalling the driver along with Catalyst/nVidia CPanel, installing the stock Microsoft driver, then changing the resolution? That may allow you to boot properly into non-safe mode, at which point you could reinstall the proper drivers etc.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 13th Feb 2012 at 4:11 PM
I think I tried reinstalling the driver last night, but I have no idea what a Microsoft Stock driver is or how to find one...

CHOCKLAT.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#47 Old 14th Feb 2012 at 11:01 PM
FIXED! It turns out I only had to enable VGA mode to set it back to normal. Thanks anyway!

CHOCKLAT.

Page 2 of 2