Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Sep 2010 at 11:18 PM
Ati radeon hd 5770 problems
Well to start off i'm really happy i got my new videocard and i get nice framerates in the game (189+ fps) but when i try to follow a sim who is driving a car,the game lags as hell D: .It went down to 5 fps and keeps changing framerates randomly .I updated it with the latest drivers but it dosent change...Can anyone help
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 12:36 AM
Did you check to make sure you didn't have to upgrade the power supply too? Also you should have fully uninstalled the previous card (not just pull it out) before installing the 5770..

Please post full system specs (Everest): http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...lp:System_Specs Include your power supply manufacturer and model too please.
Inventor
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 7:22 AM Last edited by gabrielorie : 5th Sep 2010 at 7:58 AM.
No,the computer store said that its good enough (It requires 450 watts,I have 500 watts).And my previous card was a built in one,the drivers are still present on my pc.

==System==

•Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit
•System Manufacturer Custom built
•System Model To be filled be O.E.M. (Not sure what that means)
•Processor: Amd athlon x2 245
•Memory: 1gb
•Page File: 893 mb used (1153 avaliable)
•DirectX Version:
==Display==

•Name: ATI Radeon hd 5770 series
•Manufacturer: Ati technologies
•Chip Type: ATI display adapter
•Approx. Total Memory: 1273 mb
•Main Driver: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,ticfx32.dll,a
•Version: 8.762.0.0
•Driver Date: 7/9/2009

==Sound==

•Description: Logitech 2.1 speakers
•Driver Name: viahduaa
Version: 6.0
•Date: 17/9/2009

==Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives==

•Drive: SATA HD
•Free Space: 20 gb
•Total Space: 320gb
•File System: LG
•Model: LG

Just for the fun of it here is a gameplay Video (Sorry for the quality,Imageshack seriously messed it up
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 2:09 PM Last edited by callistra : 5th Sep 2010 at 2:27 PM.
Lag could be your RAM. 1GB is about 1/3 as much as you need for that OS. Actually it's even under EA minimum requirements. EA says 1.5GB minimum. About 3.5GB is where we stop seeing lag and crashing so we say install 2x2GB for 4GB total.

I see that most of the parts you were talking about getting on the buy thread you didn't get.. Aside from the gpu, that's a totally different build than suggested and decided upon.. Did you end up getting the OCZ or the Diablotek? If you got the Diablotek then I still wouldn't rule it out. Those are really crappy PSUs and they tend to have lots of problems and short lives..sorry.

Do you have the N68-S UCC or N68-S motherboard?

Also not sure where you got those drivers but they're more than a year out of date. This is what I want you to do..

1) Go to add/remove programs and uninstall all instances of Nvidia and ATI software, drivers etc.

2) Go to local hard drive C and delete C:\Nvidia AND C:\ATI - the whole folders

3) Shut down your computer, physically unplug it, then open it up and pull out your 5770. Then reseat it securely. Make sure you also hook up the extra 6 pin connector http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=9983

4) Turn back on your computer and install these: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downlo...on-win7-32.aspx

5) Restart your computer
Inventor
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 3:41 PM
Well,i'll ask my dad and see what he says...And I didn't bother to get the additional parts because my parents are still paying out for our house which they recently bought,so they said no extra expences for now .I'm still glad they got me the video card .My mobo is the N68-S.The drivers are the same one in your link,the catalyst 10.8,which i am assuming came out recently .Also can i do it without pulling out my videocard?I really don't like going in my PC,one already died when i removed the dvd .
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 5:43 PM Last edited by callistra : 5th Sep 2010 at 6:15 PM.
So this is the same computer (only with a new graphics card) you've made multiple posts about OS corrupting, crashing, driver problems, and having to reformat?

The drivers are marked as much older so something is wrong.. you say the old drivers are still there and that's guaranteed to cause problems. You -have- to uninstall your old graphics before installing new ones, especially if you're crossing manufacturers (Nvidia to ATI). Reinstalling via the above method step-by-step method will rule out driver problems. If you don't want to mess inside the case you can skip it in step three and just restart instead, but if the problem has anything to do with how it's physically plugged in then we can't rule it out without you trying.. it's up to you.

Something is also off about the audio drivers. Try these: http://angelicvoices.net/Audio_Win7-64_Win7_RV.zip

What is the manufacturer and model of the power supply you have right now?
Inventor
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 9:09 PM
I've never really had any problems with this PC,except the 'C' drive turning into a 'D' drive.Well i'm uninstalled them all,but i have a question,what is Nvidia Phyx?I know that physics are the animations in games but i don't know if to uninstall it .My sound is crystal clear but i'll try them,thanks .Its an Omega power supply,it came free with the computer case .
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 5th Sep 2010 at 10:18 PM
That really doesn't answer the question about the PSU. What model is it? What's the wattage? There should be a sticker on the side of the PSU itself - you'll probably have to take the side of your computer off to see the sticker, but you don't have to touch anything; just take the side off, write down the info on the sticker, and put the side back on. Alternatively, if the PSU details are listed along with the case, you could link us to wherever you bought the case; or you may be able to find the PSU model details on the packaging or the invoice if you still have either.

Uninstall PhysX. If you have any games which require it, you can always reinstall it later, once your drivers are sorted out properly.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Inventor
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 12:48 AM
Here is the technically details i saw

Model LPE2
Wattage 500w
Voltage 115v-230v
Current(dunno what that means) 4-10a,2-5a
Frequency 60gmz,50 ghz

Then there is a chart with a LOT of writeing
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 2:34 AM
Uninstall *everything* that says Nvidia or ATI back in that step #1 and follow through the rest of the steps. You can't use Physx without a Nvidia card.

That +12v rail is only 20A from what I'm reading.. Can you confirm? If this is the case then it is not sufficient for the card you have installed. That's a worse quality than the Diablotek, unfortunately. Wattage is only one factor. You also have to look at rail strength and in some cases lower quality power supplies won't really output the full posted wattage. If the +12v rail is really that low then it's prob one of them. Even most 350w power supplies have stronger rails.
Inventor
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 9:03 AM
Ok,there's a chart with the following details

Ac input ORANGE RED YELLOW BLUE PURPLE BLACK GREEN GREY

500w 30a 42a 20a 0.8a 2a

Mine has red writeing on it so i'm assuming its 42a?I'm gonna check to see if they have a website
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 9:20 AM
5770's requirements are 450W minimum, so you're really cutting it close there.
I like to go over by at least 100-150W, just because I have lots of external HDDs and printer/scanner/tablet/phone/pda USB peripherals I plug in and out all the time, not counting USB keyboard and mouse as they are permanent.

Do you know or are able to find out the model of the casing, too?
I'd like to see what sort of thermal management the casing is capable of, and how many fans come preinstalled.
Inventor
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 9:31 AM
The only usb things i plug on are my mouse,keyboard and a gamepad so will i need additional watts?And it dosen't have a brand name .My dad just bought the empty case,it has blue led lights and its a shiny black colour but that dosen't explain much...It has one fan that came with it,the one in the power supply and then there's the CPU fan and the video card fan

Also do i have to unstall Nvidia photoshop tools and dds plugins? And does ati have those to?
shiny!
retired moderator
#14 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 3:00 PM Last edited by callistra : 6th Sep 2010 at 3:54 PM.
Assuming it is actually capable of pulling the full 500w without problems the wattage is not an issue. The fact that it's a low end power supply is more of a concern. Rail strength is much more important.

+12v rail is usually listed as the third one over, so yep looks like 20A and your rail is way under. Yellow is also the +12v which again suggests 20A. You won't pull enough power just doing basic tasks to hurt anything but you need to not do anything video intensive until you upgrade the graphics card or you will end up damaging something.. you could fry your entire computer.

Generic power supply/case bundles are meant to keep costs low when building basic machines. They're not meant to hold or run high end parts. You also need to be keeping a close eye on temps in such a case. They usually have very limited cooling, again not meant to run gaming parts, and things can overheat more easily. Sorry.

I understand that your family's money is tight but you are going to have to put some real money into a power supply to run a graphics card of that strength. If you really can't afford it then pull it out and wait until you can. Something like these would be what you're looking for:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817139004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817371020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817371035
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817151094
You're not going to find a good quality power supply that meets the needs of that graphics card for under $50-$60. $50 only if you find a really good deal in the moment.
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:31 PM
I don't want to cook my pc D: .I'll ask my dad if he can order the corshair one .Btw is tomb raider underworld and the sims 3 (basegame only) video intensive?Those brand name parts are not down here,people here prefer to just buy a 360 or ps3 .
shiny!
retired moderator
#16 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 8:59 PM
Good luck!

Yes. Anything that relies on your graphics card specifically should be avoided.. games, video, movies, photo work, etc should all be avoided to be safe. You can do things like surf the web, listen to music, any ms office docs, etc.
Inventor
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 9:09 PM
That sucks so bad .If i order it,i'll have to wait like 3-4 months until it arrives .If i buy a local one(an unknown or crappy brand) with the same specs as the cosair one,would it be the same?
shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 10:32 PM
Where are you located? Those are just some of the better power supplies but there are other good ones out there. You should be able to find something decent in your area..

You won't find a generic power supply that's the same kind of quality. The risk of buying generic or off brand power supplies is the likelihood of failure and problems is a lot higher and it will not last as long. It's a big risk and not a good idea if you don't want to gamble with your computer but some people get lucky.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Sep 2010 at 11:43 PM
I live in Trinidad and Tobago (the Trinidad part ).The brands here are from america but i didn't see any mention of them so far...And i don't mind spending money on a not so popular part,it beats wasting $1,500 .Here is one of the Computer Stores here.As you can see it is very overpriced,I bought an athlon x2 245 for the price of a phenom II 995 black edition

Btw whislt you're on the site,take a look at the video card section
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 12:08 AM
Well, Thermaltake are a reasonable brand - but from what I can see, the PurePower one there is an older model, though having up-to-date hardware isn't so criticial when it comes to PSUs as long as your unit is robust and reliable.

I should probably point out, because this tripped me right up - $600 Trinidad & Tobago dollars (for the ThermalTake PurePower) is about $96 USD. That's still very high for a PSU,though - you could get the 600w in the same line for $83 US from Amazon.com, plus $10 shipping for expedited or priority shipping (about $584 TT). I'm afraid I don't know what the shipping times would be as I don't know which group of islands Trinidad and Tobago falls under, but the details are here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...596196&#country
I'm not recommending the PurePower model, just using it as an example because the shop you linked to sells it - it does look like shipping from the US may be the best option, as even with shipping charges you'll get much better value for money, and you'd have a lot more choice doing it that way - if you can manage a couple of weeks without gaming.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
shiny!
retired moderator
#21 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 12:51 AM
Thermaltake Toughpower line are pretty good. The others are hit or miss but certainly better than some off brander you might find. That particular one is lower efficiency and sorta middle of the road quality but it's the only one on that page I'd begin to touch.
Inventor
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 1:09 AM
What about the link world one :O ?Right now i don't really care about the brand name,i just want the cheapest thing that can prevent my pc from dieing
shiny!
retired moderator
#23 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 2:42 AM
Extremely poor quality and +12v rail is too weak again. See it's 600w but it still only has 20A on the rail.. Linkworld makes some of the worst power supplies out there. One of the worst places to skimp on is a power supply. A bad quality or dying power supply can cause cause individual program as well as full system crashing, freezing, slowness, data loss, overheating, other instabilities, and even fry your entire computer. So, especially when you're running more demanding components like the 5770, it's really important that you get something solid. It's not about brand name. It's about buying something of decent enough quality and there are just certain manufacturers that do and certain ones that don't.
Inventor
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Sep 2010 at 10:04 AM
Ok,i'll see if my dad can buy it
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 10th Sep 2010 at 8:19 PM
Well my dad said he can buy THIS one but it will take a bit long to reach by me .This the same one you showed me,right?

Also this is off topic but the white water is back in my game,is this hardware failure D: ?

Page 1 of 3