Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#26 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 5:00 PM
Hm, well the bumpmap also has to have a completely grey alpha. Why don't you try exporting a blank bumpmap from a maxis item and then importing it, so that way you'll find out if it's caused by your editing, or something else.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
#27 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 7th Jan 2010 at 11:01 PM.
Make sure you also edit the alpha files of the base/overlay and normalmap.
I gave it a try myself and the buttons do dissapear.
But i had to load a blanc normalmap in the package because i have no clue how to save a edited normalmap with the Nvidia DDS exporter in photoshop.
Watever i try it keeps crashing my creations....

You can use my package and use Postal to load your own normalmap in it to see if its your normalmap causing the issue
Instructor
#28 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 7:30 PM
I would recommend using GIMP for that, it does the alpha for you.
Test Subject
#29 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 9:19 PM
Thank you so much. No matter what I do, I cannot get mine to work right, I even tried using your normalmap and it did not like that one either. The one thing that did work was using your file to make my top and that did work, but the top was kind of odd looking in the thumbnail.

Instructor
#30 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 9:53 PM
Delete your CAS thumbnails package, and load the game again to see if it's fixed? Otherwise, it might be a mesh problem.
Test Subject
#31 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 10:07 PM
That didn't work. I just don't seem to get get anything to work, I may have to wait till someone does a tutorial for dummies...d'oh!
Instructor
#32 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 10:39 PM
Okay, have you tested in-game? If when you zoom out, part of it disappears, then you loaded the lods incorrectly and need to do them again. (Or Base did)
Sockpuppet
#33 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 11:27 PM
I checked it ingame, works fine...even the thumbnail.
Probably a corrupt texture file you imported.
Basetexture= DXT5 with alpha
Specular= DXT1 without alpha
Overlay= DXT5 with alpha
Normalmap = ? with alpha
Instructor
#34 Old 7th Jan 2010 at 11:58 PM
Hmm, my converter program doesn't have options for different types of DXT textures, just DXTC. And I've never had that problem.
Sockpuppet
#35 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 12:44 AM
I am using WTV to find out wat format the files are
I prefer DXT1 when possible, saves alot space.
Instructor
#36 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 12:48 AM
I wonder if it contributes to the quality of the texture, using a higher compression?
Sockpuppet
#37 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 1:45 AM
I have no clue, but i rather stick to the games formats to avoid problems.
Instructor
#38 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 2:02 AM
I need to get me a better DDS converter. ;/
Sockpuppet
#39 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 3:50 AM
HP advised me DXTBMP and i use it to fix a error photoshop/nvidia converter sometimes has.
Its a bit primitive but easy to check things.
Instructor
#40 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 5:02 AM
Is it for Mac?
Sockpuppet
#41 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 5:05 AM
no idea
Instructor
#42 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 5:07 AM
Dang. ;/ I've only found the one program for Mac... Aorta.
Test Subject
#43 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 7:20 AM Last edited by poppyberry : 8th Jan 2010 at 7:58 AM.
Do you think it could be anything to do with the version I am using? 1.9.3569.25056

BTW Base1980's file was perfect, exactly right, it was my version that went weird. Thanks for that :-)

You mention DXT...do I need that plugin? I save all my files as DDS usually.
Sockpuppet
#44 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 4:21 PM
You can download DXTBMP and simply import and export your file, then you know its not the texture file itself as errors get fixed that way.
I am using photoshop and the Nvidia plugin and sofar i had a few corrupted textures.
Test Subject
#45 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 4:43 PM
I don't think they are corrupted because I've not had any issues before and I've tried replacing the bump on other files I've not modded in any way. It seems to be the problem about the key not being right, but I can't think what that could mean!
Sockpuppet
#46 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 6:18 PM
Then use my package to finish your project i already deleted it
Test Subject
#47 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 8:06 PM
I would love to, but without your mesh ingame I don't even get the top, it is invisible on the sim. There is something that goes wrong when I try to convert. I am sorry to be a pain.
Sockpuppet
#48 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 10:00 PM
Convert? no need to
You can just load your own textures in it(base/specular/overlay and mask)
And load your bumpmaptexture with Postal.
But do not use save as, just save.
Test Subject
#49 Old 8th Jan 2010 at 10:35 PM
Do I need to give the bump map the original numbers?

I tried just saving in CTU and it almost worked apart from the thumbnail was wrong.
Sockpuppet
#50 Old 9th Jan 2010 at 3:32 AM
Once you have made a complete package(with adding the meshes and thumbnails) and choose ''save as'' you can no longer add new bumpmaps of thumbnails as you will lose the meshes and make the package corrupt.
You need to do this with Postal(or S3pe, i donno)
you can open my package with Postal and go to the Hex tab, there you can import your edited DDS normal map texture.
I already added a blanc normal map, its just a matter off replacing it with your own.
No need to edit instance numbers or such.

all other textures you can replace using CTU but when done choose save, not save as...
Page 2 of 3