Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#51 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 11:38 AM
"Click here to view this page on Sims2Wiki" - we have a surplus of 2s. Anyone want some discount 2s?

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Advertisement
Typical
#52 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 5:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Anyone want some discount 2s?

How much, then?
Field Researcher
#53 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:06 PM Last edited by Sims3Addicted : 15th Sep 2009 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Grammar
What I would like to see changed that is related to the site, is the moderators (well some of them), having a little more patience with us.

I don't mean any disrespect, nor mean to start a bitching session ... let's get that straight, but I *do* think it's important the moderators give us a bit of a break at times.

This thread is a perfect example.

I'm not attacking you Callistra, but because *you* didn't understand the purpose of my question, you closed my thread, which disables my ability to comment and explain further. As for Pming a mod to reopen the thread, that's a waste of time.

I have sent a PM to two staff members, informing them of a mistake in the creator guidelines, just for reference so you guys can fix it, and both times I was ignored.

I understand you are all busy, and the world doesn't revolve around me, but I read everywhere on this forum how being polite can go a long way, how much you want members to contribute, how to read the FAQ's before asking questions and so on, and when I DID offer information on an error it was ignored, so PM a mod? Uhuh.

As for the closing of that thread. You were SO quick to close it, and get the issue out of the way, that I either have to slink back into my hole feeling like an idiot because I can't explain, or resort to posting a message like this with the chance of being flamed, banned, or made to look like a complaining bitch.

So yes, I'd like to see the moderators give us a break. We start threads for a reason. At least give us a chance to respond/explain before you close them on us and/or give us short, arrogant replies. We're trying our best to do things right.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#54 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:09 PM
Sims3Addicted, since you didn't actually WANT help (and you said as much), why post in the Help forum? It really doesn't make sense to me.

Staff as a whole obviously have to lock threads, and especially where it's obvious that the thread is either being derailed, is spam, or is posted in a help section without wanting help, then it's in the best interests of the site overall and the time and effort spent helping people who actually need help for threads like yours to be locked. You might have considered it too quick, but really, you said in your second post you didn't want help, so I really don't see that the thread could have gone anywhere.

I didn't see anything "arrogant" about any of Callistras posts in that thread and I think that it was perfectly acceptable to lock it after your post saying you said you didn't want help. A help forum with lots of people who dont want help just wastes the time of the staff and helpers who actually do spend time in answering questions.

As for Creator Guidelines - the staff have ultimate say. You might see something that you believe needs "fixing" but if the staff don't agree then it doesn't get changed. Also, some mods are inactive, and PMing them might not get you anywhere. If you don't understand something in the guidelines, then post in Creator Issues - thats what the forum is there for, as indicated in all of the rejection/changes required messages.

Also, this thread is NOT about how the site is run in terms of moderators - it's about technical improvements to the site, as mentioned in the first post. Please keep any posts on that subject, and not on how you think the site should be run and how the staff should act. That is what PM is for.

Thank you.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#55 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:21 PM
*sighs*. I didn't want TECHNICAL help with my PC. I did want help to determine where the problem may lay. Anyway, it clearly doesn't matter.

As for the creator guidelines. I really don't care if they get changed. I was trying to help, as I keep reading you guys want. An acknowledgment I bothered really isn't hard, as appose to deliberate ignoring.

And finally, I didn't mean Callistra was arrogant. I meant that in general.

And ok on the other. I'm done now, but I needed to explain that.
Typical
#56 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 7:42 PM Last edited by lewjen : 15th Sep 2009 at 7:57 PM.
This might not happen, but would it be possible to delete posts in your own download threads? Personally, I've never had to do this, but when this might get out of hand (which I've seen on other download threads) it may be useful than waiting for a mod, and letting it continue, and progressinvley get worse...
I can almost garauntee this won't happen... but, it's worth a try asking
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#57 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:03 PM
If things start to get out of hand in any thread, anywhere - report one of the posts, and explain the situation in the report reason. The majority of reports are dealt with within a few hours of them being sent, and a mod telling people to cut it the hell out has more weight than a creator doing so.

In addition, we do keep tabs on troublemakers - and if someone is kicking up shit in threads, the staff need to be aware of it; so that we can decide if it gets to the point where someone needs a warning or a clip upside the head.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:27 PM
Sims 3 Searching
I would like to see a Sims 3 Search box under the downloads tab, and properly label the searchbox now as for sims 2. I didn't notice the Sims 3 searchbox on the main page of the Sims 3 downloads until yesterday.

A watched pot never boils. But a watched pan still fries, and a grease fire burns down your house whether you watch it or not.
Demon Sheep
retired moderator
#59 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 8:42 PM
lewjen: You're right, that can't happen. Too many people would abuse that power. Some would delete valid reports of technical issues, others would delete kindly worded suggestions, and some would delete replies they just don't like for whatever random reason. It's best to leave post deleting to the moderators to keep things running smoothly. Problematic posts should be reported as whiterider says.

FreakOfKulture: The download search actually defaults to whatever game is set as the default in your user options. You can go to User Tools/Edit Options to change your default. It's in the "Download Browsing" box, and the text you're looking for reads "If you want to default the Download Browser to show either TS3 or TS2 downloads, select which here:" Just choose Sims 3 and wait a few minutes for the change to take effect. Alternately, you can click the little "Switch to Sims 3" icon in the top right corner of the screen if you wind up with Sims 2 search results.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#60 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:03 PM Last edited by daluved1 : 15th Sep 2009 at 9:17 PM.
I don't know if this is still an issue because I haven't been paying attention, but can you make it so that you can select multiple age categories in uploads? Because I believe right now if you want to upload a set of oh...let's say eyebrows, that are enabled for teens, adults and elder you can only pick one age group to classify the entire upload. So maybe make the catergorization stage a check list?

Like I said, this might have been changed already, so if it has then sorry for the life waster

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 9:57 PM
I have not read all the pages of posts, but I have one suggestion, only one. And I am kind of embarrassed about it because I am not stupid.

Can we please make one section in the discussion forums clearly labeled "HELP HOW THE LLJLJLKJOIU DO I DO THIS?" I spent over an hour last night searching forums for the answer to my dumb question when I finally posted out of frustration, and in a matter of minutes someone had the very thing I was looking for.

I simply cannot get the hang of where threads for questions are located. It's really difficult to sift through.

Okay--that was your "dumb post" for the day. Go ahead and laugh at me. I can't be the only one because I see a lot of moved threads
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 10:40 PM
One problem I have noticed is with corrupted files. The problem is that some times when downloading a file an unseen error will happen making the file useless.

The best way that I know to fix it is just to redownload the file. It seems that a lot of people don't know about this and end up PMing the creator about it.

So pretty much what I am asking if you could add information about this to the Download FAQs and Install Instructions.

Note: This problem is not just an MTS issue I have seen it on many other websites and it can happen to any file type.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#63 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 10:45 PM
GothicGyrl, Discussion forums should be for discussion, not help - and indeed if you post a help question in the discussion forums it will get moved to the help forum. If you want help with stuff, we have the help dropdown.

daluved1, It's not possible with the current system to select multiple categories unless it's a filter (like with the pattern in-game category). While it's technically possible to remove the actual categories and re-assign everything to a filter, this would be a massive amount of work for a problem that only affects percentage wise very few uploads.

Darkwolf Jr I'm fairly sure we have something about re-downloading in the download FAQs anyway.

Lab Assistant
#64 Old 15th Sep 2009 at 11:48 PM
Delphy--this is what I meant.. the help section is not very helpful. I searched this entire site looking for what was found in a matter of seconds, by someone else. The place I was linked to (on this site) was not found within any section I searched. So how were they able to locate it?

That's my problem, the help section just isn't very clear. That's all.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#65 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 12:01 AM
Actually, I looked at your post. It was a create question. If you had clicked on the create link on the nav bar, you would have seen the creator guidelines. That is where you find all the information about uploading. Also, there is a search box. You can search the site and the wiki quite easily from the search drop down.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
Actually, I looked at your post. It was a create question. If you had clicked on the create link on the nav bar, you would have seen the creator guidelines. That is where you find all the information about uploading. Also, there is a search box. You can search the site and the wiki quite easily from the search drop down.

Previous posts, yes. This latest one was were to find certain files on my computer for making them into package files for uploading. However, if that is what qualifies as a "create" question, then so be it. I know from here on out.

I did and do use the search the site part and the wiki. In fact, checked those areas 3 times before I posted. I knew all about the Creator Guidelines (am working on a house now) but did not think that my question asking how to make a lot a package file was creating. BUT... but... I see this now.

(and I just now clued in to the "auto link" feature. I did not realize it would auto link me to the section based on key words. )
Scholar
#67 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 7:18 AM
I'm not sure if my question is what you were looking for in this thread, but are we ever going to get our gold stars back from winning contests, etc? So far, only creators get "accomplishments".

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Top Secret Researcher
#68 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 11:21 AM
I have a "little" request: how about an update on the SimsWiki? I mean, it's happened to me several times that, when I look for a particular item there, I apparently find it and follow the link, only to discover the item itself or the site that was hosting it has vanished. Or, if it was an item from MTS, the thread has been deleted or something.
Can you do something about my request?

I don't give a f*ck, God sent me to piss the world off!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#69 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 11:19 AM
Vlad - That's being done, but it's a long and slow process. If you like, you're welcome to help - the Content Lists are user-editable.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 11:28 AM
Oh... Okay, HP. Didn't knew you guys (and girls!) were already working on that. I'll see if I can help around the Wiki.

So I'm just supposed to remove the items that no longer exist? Or can I add other items, if I happen to come across them?

I don't give a f*ck, God sent me to piss the world off!
Mother Function
retired moderator
#71 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VladCrau
Oh... Okay, HP. Didn't knew you guys (and girls!) were already working on that. I'll see if I can help around the Wiki.

So I'm just supposed to remove the items that no longer exist? Or can I add other items, if I happen to come across them?

If I come across a broken link I first try to see if I can fix it (i.e. the site might have moved), if I can't then I mark it with "@Broken Link/Purged/Site Down/etc.@"

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Banned
#72 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 1:58 PM
I apologize if this has been asked before, but how about this:

A new section in the downloads to show both sims 2 and sims 3 when browsing, as well as the choice of either sims 2 or sims 3. A lot of people have both games and would like to easily browse content for them both at the same time on the same page.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#73 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 3:50 PM
jonin: Err, the "choice of either Sims 2 or Sims 3" is already on the site.

Typical
#74 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 6:45 PM
Maybe at the top of the site issues page, you could have that 'Frequently Asked Site Issues (Read before posting!)' link In bright red and add announcement in red too. That way, people might actually read it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#75 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 8:09 PM
It also shows up, in full, on the new thread page. Seriously, when you've been doing this as long as we have, you give up on the idea of people reading.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Page 3 of 15