Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:11 PM
Default BOOKWORM ALERT!!! What ya readin?
I know there are some people who love to read in this group so I thought we could have a thread for discussin' what we're reading, having little book rants etc.

I'm reading Small Gods by Terry Pratchett. It's interesting, not as funny as his other ones, kind of philosophical and a little disturbing.

Go for it bookwurms!!

Call me Meg

lately i want everything
every star tied to a string

av credit
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:12 PM
I'm reading 'The Host' by Stephenie Meyer. It's quite abstract, and rather hard to get into, but I quite like it.

Happiness is anyone and anything that's loved by you.

My name is Jessica, but I answer to Jessie, Jess, Candiiee, Candy and Cand. :P
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:13 PM
I haven't read that....got put off by the drivel that is Twilight...is it better?

Call me Meg

lately i want everything

av credit
Forum Resident
#4 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by candiiee
I'm reading 'The Host' by Stephenie Meyer. It's quite abstract, and rather hard to get into, but I quite like it.

I loved The Host. I'm glad you're sticking with it. It took me a while to get into it as well but everything eventually begins to make sense and it gets more enjoyable.

I just finished "Godmother" by Carolyn Turgeon. Its based on the Cinderella Fairy tale but from the Godmother's point of view. The last chapter surprised me. It was a good read.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Albert Einstein "What Life Means to Einstein"
Mad Poster
#5 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 2:45 PM
I'm reading "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," by James Joyce and "You Shall Know Our Velocity," by Dave Eggers. I love Dave Eggers so much; I'm excited to see the new Where the Wild Things Are movie, because apparently he teamed up with Spike Jonze to make it.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#6 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 3:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by meggie272
I haven't read that....got put off by the drivel that is Twilight...is it better?

Yes, definitely. I think so, anyway. I have read all the twilight books, since I liked some of the characters other than Edward and Bella, but I like The Host a lot more already.

Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:37 PM
Nothing right now I guess I gotta visit the library.

Don't you wanna fly so high above the clouds and trees,
Learn a thing from birds and bees ,
See the morning rise over the ocean up ahead?

tumblr|lastfm
Alchemist
#8 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 4:48 PM
As I have watched the film 100ds of times, I thought I will read the book which I have been reading ALL weekend with no stops except yesterday for a few hours, I have finished now, which is Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. 2morro I'm gonna start 2 read New Moon. Judging by the covers of the four books, I think Bella will become a vamp in Eclipse.

Like, whatever.
My nickname is Eve
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 5:07 PM
I'm reading three books ATM.

-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
-The Outsiders (At home AND at school.)
-Night World #1 (At School for SSR)

Reading one book at a time gets too boring.

Oh, hi, how are you holding up?
Because I'm a Cass.
»LiveJ«◄▀►»Forums«
Alchemist
#10 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 5:53 PM

Like, whatever.
My nickname is Eve
Mad Poster
#11 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 7:15 PM
*agrees silently with cass*
*will re-read 'Stop in the name of Pants' by Louise Rennison when she's finished the Host because otherwise I might get a bit confused and forget about the Host *

Mad Poster
#12 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 10:53 PM
At the moment I'm reading nothing concrete, but I'm just picking up books at random so they're scattered all over the house. Those would be:

- "The Time Traveler's Wife," by Audrey Niffeneger (re-reading it for the 4th time)
- "Anna Karenin," by Tolstoy
- "The Old Man and the Sea," by Ernest Hemmingway
Rubric Wrangler
#13 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:15 PM
"A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, I'm re-re-re-re-re-re-reading it (yeah, I really like this book.) I picked up my brother's copy of "Great Expectations" and read a few pages, but I'm not really looking for something heavy at the moment (which is slightly ironic, given that "Short History" is actually a much larger book.)

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Mad Poster
#14 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PixCii
At the moment I'm reading nothing concrete, but I'm just picking up books at random so they're scattered all over the house. Those would be:

- "The Time Traveler's Wife," by Audrey Niffeneger (re-reading it for the 4th time)
- "Anna Karenin," by Tolstoy
- "The Old Man and the Sea," by Ernest Hemmingway

I love Anna Karenina! If you're looking for the best of Hemingway, I would recommend A Farewell to Arms; it is by no means his most notable novel, but I think that it's far better than recognizeable titles such as The Old Man and the Sea and For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Pharaoh, Great Expectations isn't a book to expect a fast pace from (my favorite Dickens has always been David Copperfield), but it's quite enjoyable.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Scholar
Original Poster
#15 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:42 PM
Yay *does little happy popular thread dance*

I am working my way through Discworld books and am on to Lords & Ladies. I've read this before, the elves are ver ver creepy.

Call me Meg

lately i want everything

av credit
Rubric Wrangler
#16 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Rabid.

I've been meaning to read Macbeth again sometime, my second-favourite Shakespeare (first being King Lear).

The meadows are in bloom:
who has ever seen such insolence?

simblr
Scholar
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 11:56 PM
The only Dickens I have ever read is A Christmas Carol, and that was pretty good...

Call me Meg

lately i want everything

av credit
Scholar
#18 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 1:56 AM
I'm currently engaging in some light reading, with The Hogfather by Terry Pratchett.
Scholar
#19 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 2:58 PM
I'm just finishing up the last book (so far) in the Anita Blake series, Skin Trade. Also finishing up the fifth book in the Argeneau series, A Bite to Remember. I unknowingly started with the fifth one, now I have to go back and get the previous ones XD.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Alchemist
#20 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 8:04 PM
I have started New Moon 2day. I couldn't wait for the film

Like, whatever.
My nickname is Eve
Mad Poster
#21 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 8:11 PM
Well, the first movie sucked. I'm sure that New Moon will be worse or as bad.

Oh, hi, how are you holding up?
Because I'm a Cass.
»LiveJ«◄▀►»Forums«
Alchemist
#22 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 8:16 PM
I do not agree. Whenever I think of Twilight, fireworks go off inside me. Seriously.

Like, whatever.
My nickname is Eve
Field Researcher
#23 Old 7th Sep 2009 at 8:21 PM
I'm reading The Shining by Stephen King at the moment. It's really good but kind of scary...

"Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain
Scholar
#24 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 4:33 AM
Instructor
#25 Old 8th Sep 2009 at 7:50 AM
The Prose Edda: Norse Mythology

All and all, no good.

Page 1 of 18