Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 12:50 PM
Default WAterfall - strange problem
I built my house and decided to create a small waterfall.
I was trying to fit it when suddenly...
Just look at the picture :/

And link for people who see only sth like this - "?"

http://img194.imageshack.us/i/screenshot29bqy.jpg/

What should I do to fix it?:/
Advertisement
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 2:48 PM
Leveling tool will sometimes cause this glitch to happen, only way I know of to fix it is to undo it and try again.

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Instructor
#3 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 7:18 PM
It's not just the leveling tool, it's also sometimes placing the columns in the wrong places

Find me on YouTube!
Flabaliki - General gaming
TheSimSupply - Videos all about The Sims!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 7:55 PM
I can't delete the water :/
Hmm. My waterfall wasn't so nice so i pressed undo and then it happend :/
I just want to know how to solve this problem, because it may happen in future.

I had to build my house again. You'll probably see it tommorow
Captain Louie
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 8:13 PM
I will look for it, and sorry that your house had to get nixed :p

Now streaming on at Twitch.tv/SeveralNerds or UglyHoesConnect.com - whichever is easier for you to type in your browser.
Instructor
#6 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 9:40 PM
Hmm, I tried recreating what happened your waterfall and I couldn't, could you give me some more details on what happen. If the waterfall was on ground level, lowered or raised, it was 1 level or 2, ect.

Try watching this too:
http://thesimsupply.com/videotutorials/episode14.php

Find me on YouTube!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 10:05 PM
I created waterfall as was showed in tutorial. (onn ground level - not on the "hill")
I place water next to it, than try to create waterfall. I finished and than tried to do it more realistic. Something got wrong and i undo (I should do it 1 times but my mouse is a little bit crazy) and than (look on image).

I'll try to do it again tommorow
Instructor
#8 Old 21st Jul 2009 at 10:08 PM
Hmm, maybe the upper part was too small, because I had to film that tutorial several times before it worked properly, it's trial and error sometimes. Maybe just practice on an empty lot?

Find me on YouTube!
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 9:12 PM
Well, I build a lot with waterfalls, and usually I avoid problems like that with adding the fall to the water as the very last thing in my terrain-elevation-work process. Means, all I do afterwards is placing stones and trees and stuff like that. As someone else already mentioned it, that frequently happens if you modify anything height relevant AFTER you made your waterfall.
Never had it since I'm careful (Once I drowned a whole palace on top of a huge mountain in water... it ran through the windows and looked as if god had sent the flood... even undoing the last steps didn't help. Once you have the water on your lot, you have it on your lot)
Inventor
#10 Old 29th Jul 2009 at 10:50 PM
One question - I tried this and it looked like it worked, but once I went into live mode it was as if Salvador Dali had done my landscaping, in that the water looked like a pond on its side. I assumed it was doing what it does, but realized I should make sure I didn't screw up.

Reyn Silversong-Sim Architect

Terms of Use-All of my stuff is available for use anywhere that is free. All I ask is credit and a link back to the objects in question, or the house they are featured with. DO NOT POST ON THE EXCHANGE!
Test Subject
#11 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 2:29 AM
I have no idea how to help you, but this pic made me laugh. It's like you were digging and hit a water pipe! ; )
Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 6:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Reyn
One question - I tried this and it looked like it worked, but once I went into live mode it was as if Salvador Dali had done my landscaping, in that the water looked like a pond on its side. I assumed it was doing what it does, but realized I should make sure I didn't screw up.

Well as far as I know the "waterfalling" is actually something like a glitch... so yes, if you do large areas of it, it looks like a twisted lake at the side of a hill. But with a bit of creativity you can use it to make things like:
or

All a matter of using the right size and the right decoration

EDIT: the first screenshot shows the end part of a little "river" I did over the height of three floors. Since it has a little curve in it, I wasn't able to screenshot the whole thing or I would have had to remove some trees, but they make a big part of the thing so... just the end...
Test Subject
#13 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 6:51 PM
That happened to me too except when I did it the water filled the whole lot and the entire pool of water was floating (I wish I would've taken a pic)

The only thing I could do was bulldoze the lot and start over.
Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Jul 2009 at 6:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by XenoMiang
That happened to me too except when I did it the water filled the whole lot and the entire pool of water was floating (I wish I would've taken a pic)

The only thing I could do was bulldoze the lot and start over.

It was floating?? *laugh*
Well I guess that's something all people who are experimenting with waterfalls have to go through...

btw: found the picture of what happened to mine...hehe

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/wma1.jpg/
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Aug 2009 at 6:26 PM
oh thank god! your not the only one! I have this problem ALL the time! it's insane i've found you can make better waterfalls with pools too, i think it works better (:
(Not like elevated pools, put like pond waterfalls over a pool!) I wish someone would just make some awesome fountains!
Test Subject
#16 Old 19th Aug 2009 at 10:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chr1z733n
oh thank god! your not the only one! I have this problem ALL the time! it's insane i've found you can make better waterfalls with pools too, i think it works better (:
(Not like elevated pools, put like pond waterfalls over a pool!) I wish someone would just make some awesome fountains!

Oh as you may have read in that thread it's rather easily to avoid... that problem... all you need is a halfway decent building your lot management... (I mean doing the things in the right order)
I have done at least a dozen waterfalls now and it happened only once as I didn't have any clue (And actually I wasn't even planning to do a waterfall... it's been a mistake)
Test Subject
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2009 at 10:37 PM
Oh no! Now this happened to me and I was almost done with the whole lot, I don't want to redo it... But the more I try to fix it the worse it gets...

Edit: Woohoo! I managed to get rid of it. It involved deleting everything that was near the original pond of water, raising the terrain above the "spilled out" water and then lowering the terrain again. At least I didn't have to redo the whole house.
Test Subject
#18 Old 23rd Aug 2009 at 10:19 AM
Oh dear I did it again The problem seems to appear when you have built your waterfall and you use the water tool on the upper part of the waterfall. And the solution is to flatten it all out then raise the ground where there is still water and then flatten it again.

Now I'm going back to trying to build my stupid waterfall
Test Subject
#19 Old 16th Sep 2009 at 8:55 PM
That happens if you try to add water to a lot after the waterfall is built. Yo u have to make sure all the ponds you want on there are done before doing the waterfall
Test Subject
#20 Old 3rd Oct 2009 at 4:26 AM
asante81 have you uploaded those lots where you have the waterfalls because they look beautiful.

ElJamo

Hope you have a good day ;) I'm in Australia so I am probably sleeping :D
Add Bacon???
Scholar
#21 Old 18th Oct 2009 at 10:17 AM
I know this is an old thread but just in case someone comes back with this problem. A waterfall has to be the last thing you do on your lot. I've had this problem and it's caused when you use any terrain tool after doing the waterfall. I always finish the entire lot before adding a waterfall and never touch terrain tools after. This also included building bridges, they have to be done first and the water run under them before doing the waterfall.
Test Subject
#22 Old 9th Nov 2009 at 6:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Flabaliki
Hmm, I tried recreating what happened your waterfall and I couldn't, could you give me some more details on what happen. If the waterfall was on ground level, lowered or raised, it was 1 level or 2, ect.

Try watching this too:
http://thesimsupply.com/videotutorials/episode14.php

you are so awesome!!! i watched the vid and I may try this. I have to admit i was a bit disappointed buying sims3 because it is so hard to download custom content, heck it's hard to download anything period...I refuse to get anything off of EA website because of how they mess over on creators/modders. However, question, does anyone or has anyone attempted to use the water tool to make a swimmable lake like in Sims2? if so point me to the right tutorial and i will get started . I just love how the water reflect in the moonlight and this would be so cool for my sims wedding! again, many, many thanks flabaliki *gives him a virtual kiss on jaw & a hug* p.s. you do have a nice sounding voice...u should do voice overs for anime or something.
Scholar
#23 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 12:41 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=368973

I've done a couple of swimable lakes, if you mean a lake with a pool in it, have a look at that one and see if that's what you mean. In that I just made the pool odd shaped and used the water tool all around it.

Maybe this isn't what you mean though

Oh I learned waterfalls from flabaliki and he does have a lovely voice, lmao
Scholar
#24 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 12:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Chr1z733n

Put the big fountain in a pond, that looks pretty good, I did it with one of my lots, can't remember the name of it now.
Instructor
#25 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 7:46 AM
Haha, glad you two like my voice lol :P

Find me on YouTube!
Page 1 of 2