Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 4:30 PM
Default Buying a new Gaming Desktop
So I was thinking what should I get for my graduate gift? I could get a laptop, a gaming system or a new Desktop. The laptop is cheaper in the NA and there aren’t any games that I like on any of the gaming systems so the Desktop won! : D

Anyway, I remember that I used a site to choose parts for my present Desktop, but I forgot the site. So does anyone know of any sites that let you build your Desktop online?
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 5:15 PM
We have a new sticky about buying a new computer which can play TS2 or even TS3. I recommend you read through it, even if you don't just want to play Sims games. Also, if you're looking for a computer to play many newer games, not just TS2, it's okay you made your own thread. But if your main intent is to get a new computer to play TS2, then you need to post in that sticky with any specific questions, after reading through the sticky and the forum to see if your question has already been answered.

So.. just to clarify..You are looking for a desktop capable of playing many games, possibly even newer more demanding games? I think you should check out page 2 of this thread, especially post #40 on. If you don't find that appealing, there's already A LOT of information on these forums about recommendations for new computers. Also make sure to read the system requirements for whatever programs/games you want to run to make sure the components you are selecting for the desktop would be good choices. If you have questions regarding a specific component that you don't feel the system requirements for the game/program answers, I would first do a google search about the game/component to see what has already been discussed. If you do this research on your own and still have some specific questions, feel free to post back in this thread. Also, when you find a place you want to build the computer and have all the components picked out, you can post them here for feedback, if you wish.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 6:19 PM
Actually I’m looking for is a site that list hardware and shows me what is compatible with it.

Ex: I might want to buy the new Nvidia GeForce 8800, then the site would list all the other hardware that are compatible and/or ones that work really well with the GeForce card that I’ve chosen.

Does that help?
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 6:32 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding, but if I am then there doesn't exist a site like that.. If you want to know what would work with your 8800 then go the manufacturer's site and see the system requirements to run it. It will tell you things like what kind of power supply is needed to run it and the type of slot that is required.

Any place like AVADirect will allow you to build your desktop online.. You can choose every hardware component in your entire system exactly as you want it, and anything you choose will be compatible and work together.. but as far as selecting one component and having a site tell you everything there is that you could couple with it, not happening.
Forum Resident
#5 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 7:11 PM
A

dual core 3.0ghz processor
8800 nvidia graphics card
2gb RAM
500w psu

computer system is quite good nowadays.
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 7:27 PM
First off, not all 500w psus are created equal. You still need to make sure the psu you choose has enough amps on the +12v rail but then.. we're just going right back to what I said initially about checking system requirements for the graphics card you might pick out.. that really goes with any piece of hardware. You can’t just go out and get 2gb ram and assume that it will work with the motherboard you select , you'll need to make sure the chipset will support the core 2 duo 3ghz processor, etc.

My point, TingTong's suggestion might make a strong gaming computer, but it's not going to tell you anything about what's compatible. Likewise, there is no magic formula of things that work the best together. You'll have to do more research than that.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 5:26 PM
So just recently, an hour ago, my computer went down on me. Not the way that I wanted to. Anyway that was the last straw that broke the camel's back! So I went onto Nivdia's site to check out their products and I've decided to get two things from them:

GeForce 9800 GX2-Graphic Card
NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI MCP-Mother Board

Know I'm kindly asking you to fill in the rest for me because I'm not sure what to get with it. I'm creating this computer from scratch.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
So just recently, an hour ago, my computer went down on me. Not the way that I wanted to. Anyway that was the last straw that broke the camel's back! So I went onto Nivdia's site to check out their products and I've decided to get two things from them:

I can relate to that, Barook. On Monday, both computers in my apartment were destroyed by a power surge through the proper, substandard electrical wiring (isn't that what we have circuit breakers for? bastards).

Thankfully, I'd ordered a new HP Blackbird a few weeks ago. It came Wednesday, and I've finally played 'The Sims 2' on it.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
shiny!
retired moderator
#9 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 6:23 PM
Synthesis Too bad you severely over-payed for that machine.. glad you're happy though.

Black_Barook!Sure.. I'll make some recommendations if you like.

The 'NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI' is just a chipset. Know exactly what motherboard you're going for? I like EVGA myself. It's one of the cheaper ones of that type though you will pay an insane penny for any one. Same with the graphics card. Your dollar but my opinion is it's absolutely not worth that amount of cash. If you're going for a $350 SLI board and not doing SLI then what's the point? A P35 chipset like this one is more stable, it just doesn’t have all the extra bells and whistles. Or if you still wanted SLI this or even this should do nicely. Likewise an 8800GTX has enough power to play even the most demanding current games at a significantly lower price to the 9800 series card. That said it’s your build and your money so if you really want to go ALL out I’d say the mobo and gpu you chose certainly fit that bill.

This would be a recommendation based on the motherboard and graphics card you chose:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819115037
Cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...S9700&x=26&y=31
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811129021 (I know this will fit the gpu you have, and it also happens to be a very nice and popular case)
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817703013 (that gpu has an 8 pin power connector which is uncommon. Narrows the list greatly)
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820231150 x2 for a total of 4gb
Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822136073 (you could try for a raptor or even the new velociraptor, but you will pay a ton)
DVDRW: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16827129020 is one possibility. Plextor, Pioneer, and NEC are all good.
Thermal grease: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16835100007

If you want a recommendation based on one of the cheaper alternatives I proposed, let me know.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 7:09 PM
Oh wow! Thanks a lot for all the information Callistra, very helpful! Is there anything else that I should get? Like a sound card or certian times of DVD/CD drive thingys?

I just liked to add that it isn't just a gaming PC but also for hardcore animation that I hope to do later on when I'm in college (a few months from now).

The total costs about 450KD which I find is a good price...of coruce I was born with a sliver spoon so I really can't say much now can I?
shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 8:23 PM
You can get dual optical drives if you think you'll use them. Could get a blu ray burner since you say you're loaded Could get a media card reader.. floppy drive.. whatever you think you'd use. You'd know more about your own usage than I would.

For the sound card.. if you're really picky about sound the Auzentech Prelude X-Fi gamer's acceleration card is the one I personally own and could not be happier with it. It's based on the Creative X-Fi chip but it's manufactured with some better parts and personally I've own both and had a lot of problems with my Creative card that I have not had for the Auzentech. Now as far as amazing sound quality without the acceleration chip the HT Omega Claro is what I would recommend. I would say it has better sound and is more of an audiophiles card than a gamer's.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 8:41 PM
So sound cards and drives don't matter? Any type can work?

What about software? I heard that Vista has problems with certain hardwares...or am I wrong?

Also is there multiple things that I should take? Like two drives?
Alchemist
#13 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 8:44 PM
Personally, I would avoid SoundMAX HD Audio. That's what I have and it is quite finicky. I wish I had a different card. :P
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 19th Jun 2008 at 9:05 PM
Well I guess I should go with the best one, and it should suit my games...because most programs aren't as finicky as SCS or B&W2...
Field Researcher
#15 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Synthesis Too bad you severely over-payed for that machine.. glad you're happy though.

Hold on! Where is the Respect for the People who like Pre-Builts that are cheaper than a custom built :\
My laptop is cheaper than a Custom built one >_>
And I run Flight Simulator X Deluxed on Ultra High with 60average FPS

ılı.------Volume------.ılı.
▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ ▄ █ ▄ █ ▄ █
Min- - - - - - - - - - -●Max
► Play ▌▌ Pause ■ Stop
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 12:33 AM
Dimension_E310 - Sometimes prebuilts are cheaper, but if you want to upgrade later, you're often stuck. My current PC started out prebuilt - I'm going with a custom build for my new one. Exactly what is cheaper depends on your needs - laptops are not the same as desktops, and you can't custom build your own. Just because you're a fanboy for the big prebuilt companies doesn't mean they're always the best way to go - you can get -amazing- custom builds for cheaper than prebuilts lately, and you're not stuck with a lack of upgrade options.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
shiny!
retired moderator
#17 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 1:01 AM
I don't find my comment lacking in respect, and I apologize if it came off as such. I was just letting the poster know they could have gotten the same machine significantly cheaper. It's good information if they care enough to act on it because Hewlett Packard has a great no questions asked return policy. If they don't care that they paid way more than they had to then that's their choice and no harm done. To that effect, this had nothing to do with someone buying a prebuilt that was cheaper. To the contrary, depending on what options that were chosen, it could have been well over three thousand less to build it himself, or even to have a different company build it. I took even the cheapest base configuration, added only an E8400 upgrade, and came off with an over $1200 difference between Hewlett Packard's price and the price of building himself. Like I said, no disrespect intended. Just sharing possibly helpful information.
Test Subject
#18 Old 20th Jun 2008 at 8:21 PM
Good job! a tech after my heart.
Scholar
#19 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 12:34 AM

You mean in your opinion I severely overpaid for that machine. In my opinion I paid exactly what the machine was worth (especially since I took advantage of both a gift certificate from HP from my sister's laptop purchase, and got a special on liquid cooling--basically, it was a free addition).

Nice try, Callistra. Some people build machines from scratch. Most people buy them already assembled. I've done both, but I can't stand people who somehow believe a machine made by hand is automatically 'superior'. There are advantages and disadvantages to doing either. An advantage of building it yourself is saving money--often, a LOT of money. An advantage of buying it is vastly superior technical support and warranty (something desirable, considering lightning killed by custom-built machine, despite surge protection). If my new machine, god forbid, falls out of a window, I can ship it back to Voodoo in Canada and get a replacement, as part o the warranty. That's just coverage you won't get with a custom-built machine.

To each his own, I say. There are people who build cars from scratch, and scoff at people who go to car dealerships. I'm just happy I can run FSX with DX10 shading at 60 FPS.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Synthesis
Nice try, Callistra. Some people build machines from scratch. Most people buy them already assembled. I've done both, but I can't stand people who somehow believe a machine made by hand is automatically 'superior'.

I don't believe that Callistra was implying any superiority of one product over another- merely that an equivalent had been seen for a cheaper price elsewhere. As long as you are content with your aquisition, that is all that matters- nobody is trying to devalue your enjoyment of the product.
Scholar
#21 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I don't believe that Callistra was implying any superiority of one product over another- merely that an equivalent had been seen for a cheaper price elsewhere. As long as you are content with your aquisition, that is all that matters- nobody is trying to devalue your enjoyment of the product.

Fair enough. I may have rushed too quickly to judgment as well. Still, I'm pretty damn pleased with my purchase.

shiny!
retired moderator
#22 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 3:39 AM
I never said one was better than the other, or that you shouldn't be happy with the performance of your computer. All I said you can buy a pc with equivalent components for thousand+ less. My only intent with posting was merely an attempt to save you some money. If you think your warranty is worth the $1200+ price difference then all you need to do is ignore my head's up. *shrugs* No big deal.
Scholar
#23 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 5:06 PM
I never said one was better than the other, or that you shouldn't be happy with the performance of your computer. All I said you can buy a pc with equivalent components for thousand+ less. My only intent with posting was merely an attempt to save you some money. If you think your warranty is worth the $1200+ price difference then all you need to do is ignore my head's up. *shrugs* No big deal.

Actually, thanks to the certificate, it was less than a $1000 (though more than $500) different from buying the components off NewEgg (though that was dependent on deals--I think NE is starting to get greedy). My BB cost me less than $2000 after I handed in the rebate. And considering that it was made after the purchase, I think the intent might have been somewhat different.

Personally, my decision was influenced by the fact that the case and architecture would not be available from NewEgg or TigerDirect (having wiring built into the case is very convenient, I believe). While it's certainly not the case for all pre-built machines, my BB is completely upgradeable (including the CPU with it's Voodoo-made cooling unit). Some particularly vain people have bought the cheapest model BB just for the case, thrown out all the internal components, and replaced them with their own. I think that's going a bit too far--but I've long since decided to retire from building game. Constantly figuring out what I did wrong at what point was sucking up too much time from my graduate studies.

Simply put: I'm just not very good at building custom PCs. I can do one, it means the following years will mean fooling and tooling to keep the thing wokring.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 7:47 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal there then- so we're all contented with that!
Scholar
#25 Old 21st Jun 2008 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Sounds like you got a good deal there then- so we're all contented with that!

Well....I'll be the first to admit, I got the lower end BB.

(I'm not made of money).

Pair of 8800GTs, 3.0 Intel Core-Duo, 4 GB DDR RAM (I believe), and a hard drive and a pair of Lightscribe DVD Drives.

Not the top end of what they had to offer by any means.

Page 1 of 2