Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#26 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 9:21 PM
When ever i install a new expansion pack it sets it all to low...apart from textures...

But i turn them all on high and its ok...on small lots....
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 2:45 AM
ok so i opened device manager,sorry it took so long,i was busy,now what do i do?
shiny!
retired moderator
#28 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 2:56 AM
That will tell you what hardware you have installed..

~Display Adapter (tells you what graphics card or chipset you have)
~Modems
~Network Adapters
~ Sound, Video and Game controller (looking for your audio type.. like Realtek or Creative.. )

Those are all the things you will have to find and install XP drivers for. Be really surprised if you can’t downgrade.. It would be a rarity, but yeah guess it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 3:03 AM
Display Adapter: ATI Radeon Xpress 1250
Modems: Can't seem to find that,any idea if i'm just missing something??
Network Adapters:Marvell Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Sound,Video and Game controller:Realtek High Definition Audio

I think my card is an integreted chip,and i got a problem with my game whereby,whenever i create a new sim and move them in as usual i get this:

(Forgive crappy graphics,hadn't turned on my graphics when i took it.)
shiny!
retired moderator
#30 Old 11th Feb 2008 at 1:20 PM
Nah you might just not have a modem that's fine.

Good news, I've found XP drivers really easily for all of that minus the Ethernet card..I can keep trying but it might be easier to track down if I had the make and model of your computer.. the company that makes it and model number?

Yeah the ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 is an integrated chip and really not good to play TS2.. Since you have a desktop you could prob get yourself a real card, but you're going to have to upgrade your power supply too..There would be some limitations as well, like a lot of times really minimally speced machines like your don’t even have an upgrade slot, or if you have a slim case. Plus your CPU and RAM are also both exceptionally weak to be running this game in Vista. Just be happy you have it loaded at all, and any problems you have are undoubtedly due to the low specs. 1gb and 2.0ghz processor are what you should ideally have minimally in Vista and unless something has changed since your first post you only have a 1.8ghz (AMD makes one Sempron 3400+ with a 2.0ghz though..) with 512mb of ram. Sorry to be blunt, but your brand new computer is already really outdated and anyone else having an older computer in your situation I would tell them don’t bother putting any money in such an antiquated machine :$ You need a graphics card, CPU, PSU, and RAM update to realistically expect to get good performance out of the game.. Since you just bought it new however we have to deal with what we have I suppose..

If you can let me know that make and model I can at least tell you what components are upgradable to what and you can decide what is worth it. I would at least recommend upgrading your RAM and graphics card (if possible). You can save the CPU upgrade for later if you decide you want to start adding a bunch of expansion packs.
Instructor
Original Poster
#31 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 1:17 AM
The thing is i got it free with my internet service,so it's not really my choice. i 'm just holding out till i can save up enough to get my own better one and not have to share with my entire family.
Ok,so where do i find the model number?,it's made by lenovo.
Oh i have another problem now,i loaded the game in window mode,so it was loading as usual until it just closed to the desktop,i have no idea what is causing it.
shiny!
retired moderator
#32 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 4:13 AM
Um.. well do you have any documentation that came with it? The box it came in maybe.. manual/documentation.. something should tell you what it is.. You could also try right clicking on ‘my computer’ and hitting properties. Sometimes that will say what model the computer is. Mine used to when it was originally Dell configured. Since I put my own hard drive in and reinstalled XP it no longer does..so yours just may not. Also you should prob have a bar code on your computer that says Lenovo and some sort of model. Maybe on the back.. side.. bottom.. somewhere. Once of those options should tell you what you have.

Your game won’t even load now? What exactly did you change, if anything?
Instructor
Original Poster
#33 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 7:05 PM
Ok,i'll try it when i get home.
Yeah it doesn't,it'll get to the loading screen then after getting to re-re-reticulating spines,then it just exits to the desktop,it doesn't even show the crash box or anything,and i didn't change anything,at least i don't think so,could downloads cause it?
shiny!
retired moderator
#34 Old 12th Feb 2008 at 10:08 PM
You could try removing your downloads and see if it changes anything..However, like I said your specs are under the recommended minimums to run in Vista, so it really doesn’t surprise me that this is happening. Just the other day I was trying to help someone whose game did the exact same thing when trying to play under Vista with 1.8ghz processor and 512mb of ram and an Intel x3100. I think once we track down your ethernet card drivers you should just put XP on it and see how it does then. It should at least load under XP, though gameplay will never be ideal.
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 12:40 AM
Actually i was checking for the product number when i saw that this is actually an AMDsepron 3600+ 2.0ghz
the product number is coming soon,just going to look at the box
EDIT:Ok,how many numbers are you looking for i think i found something,but i'm not sure
EDIT:I took out my downloads,turns out it startes up as normal once i did,so it's something i downloaded then.I'm going to fix it now.
shiny!
retired moderator
#36 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:17 AM
2.0ghz is better, it meets minimums after all. Glad you found a fix so easily!

CAn you just take a photo of the box? Maybe I can tell from that.. You're not looking for a serial number.. just a model number.. like mine is a Dell Dimension 8400. Lenovo makes a '3000 Family' series J and K models.. but none of those have AMD processors according to their website.. They also make ThinkCentre models A and M.. any of those on there? Seems the the ThinkCentre A61e is the only one on their website anyway that even uses AMD chipsets.. that's not written anywhere is it?
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:18 AM
uhh,hold on and i'll go check,it should be on the box it came in right?
shiny!
retired moderator
#38 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:25 AM
I don't know.. maybe.. not necessarily.. Some manufacturers print that info on the outside, but I've never seen a Lenovo desktop box before. Your best bet is on the sticker on your actual tower or in the documentation that came with it. If you think it's easier for you to look on the box it wouldn't hurt to take a once over.
Instructor
Original Poster
#39 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:28 AM
Checked it,it's a 3000 J series
shiny!
retired moderator
#40 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:31 AM
Okay now still need to know the exact model number, but on Lenovo.com there doesn't exist a 3000 J series with an AMD chipset.. So it would be J### or something. Some set of numbers after it..

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...-49QTT6.html#hp

Can you find it from that? It would be helpful to me to be able to view the downloads on Lenovo.com

eta: oh oh, I think you have a J205.. confirm?
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:38 AM
MT-M:9686-A12
S/N:LKZPLF3
Is that good enough?
shiny!
retired moderator
#42 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:40 AM
Yep and you do have a J205 They have all the drivers you need on Lenovo. Go ahead and install XP whenever you feel like it.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...ocid=MIGR-68357 - ethernet card
ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/WDM_R186.exe - audio
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_c...p/integrated-xp - video
Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:42 AM
ohmygod,thank you!.
So all i do is install xp?,also is there a limit for expansions?.I was hoping to get seasons and maybe freetime,but i already have nightlife,so would that affect me?
shiny!
retired moderator
#44 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:46 AM
The more expansion packs you add the more ram you should have.. I would for sure upgrade to 1gb of ram if you plan on installing that many expansions. I dunno how that integrated chipset will handle it though. I'd be concerned.. maybe someone else like HP knows for sure..

Gimme a minute I'm going to run over your system and tell you what kinds of upgrades will be possible.
Instructor
Original Poster
#45 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:48 AM
ok,i'll just make sure to get a new computer before i install anymore expansions and stuff
shiny!
retired moderator
#46 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 1:59 AM
Oh this is nice.. no need to buy a computer when you have more money.. that chipset supports all of the new X2 dual core processors even those 6400+ .. So when you're ready you can easily upgrade the CPU, if you reach a point you wish to do this.

PC2-5300 RAM is what your machine supports. According to Lenovo though that system comes with 1gb or 2gb. You sure you only have 512mb? http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php If you can run that program for me. On left you will see a bunch of icons. Click the second one on the top row (middle icon). Then click 'Physical memory" in the box next to it and copy paste what pops up in the lower box in this convo. I will tell you exactly how your ram is configured and the best way to expand.

You have a PCI-E express port so you should be able to upgrade your graphics card. My personal recommendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130062

It will require a PSU upgrade. ATX standard! Yay this is great news.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...6&sku=P227-1005

That computer is a nice machine, lots of room for upgrades and expansions.

eta: Eek come back here.. I hope you don't end up buying another computer before you see this thread again..
Instructor
Original Poster
#47 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 4:22 AM
Ohmygod!,that's awesome,i'm not on there right now,i'm on my non sims one,but when i get on there i'll make sure to run the pc wizard thing,i'm so happy i don't have to start all over again!
Thanks for all of your help!
shiny!
retired moderator
#48 Old 13th Feb 2008 at 12:24 PM
You may choose to flash your bios before installing XP.. the newest bios describes a fix for a possible problem when installing XP..

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/s...ocid=MIGR-68457

If you have the ability to make a Floppy disk or burn a cd, choose one of these two options:

Quote:
2ujg46a.exe 999,727 Flash BIOS update (diskette version)
2ujg46a.txt 7,219 Installation instructions for flash BIOS update (diskette version)

OR

Quote:
2ug946a.iso 2,574,336 Flash BIOS update (CD ISO image version)
2ug946a.txt 7,301 Installation instructions for flash BIOS update (CD ISO image version)

If you can't burn a cd or make a floppy disc you can flash the bios from windows just like you would run any normal program, though I do reccomend you find a way to do one of the other two:

Quote:
2ujg46usa.exe 1,244,704 Flash BIOS update (Flash from operating system version)
2ujg46usa.txt 6,533 Installation instructions for Flash BIOS update (Flash from operating system version)

Download both the exe file and the txt file for the method of your choice (floppy, cd, just straight from windows). The txt file should tell you how to do the flash.

Once you have successfully completed flashing your bios, you can use your XP operating system CD to reformat your hard drive (getting rid of Vista) and installing XP. Once XP is fully installed you can use the links I gave back in post #42 to install your necessary ethernet, video, and audio drivers. They will prob each require you to restart your computer to complete the installation. Then you should be good to go!
Instructor
Original Poster
#49 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 11:04 PM
Ok,i'll do that soon hopefully when i have some free time,so i told you that the game kept going to the desktop and i knew it was my downloads,anyway i have been trying to find the problem file,right now i'm just frustrated nothing is working,i have removed the most suspicious ones but it keeps crashing,do you know if there's anything i could try?
shiny!
retired moderator
#50 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 11:39 PM

Page 2 of 6