Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Nov 2007 at 11:37 PM
Default Is this good?
Hey guys,
I'm about to get a new computer,but it has an Amd Sempron 3400+ processor,it has 80gb of space,and 512mb of DDR2 memory.I have no idea what some of this means,but i need to know if i'll run the game well?.
Help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Nov 2007 at 2:58 AM
Could you give us some idea of the graphics processing unit?

It's kind of low on RAM, but that's not a deal-breaker.

Assuming you're running Windows XP, go to 'Run', and type in 'dxdiag'. Click on display, and tell us the information listed in the box labeled 'device'.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 1:30 AM
I don't really have all the specs yet,i just needed to know about the DDR2 part and i it would be enough,also would the graphics be good?
#4 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 1:38 AM
Just out of curiosity is it going to be more a gaming computer? If so I personally would get no less than a gig of ram and would get a bigger Hard Drive like 250gig. But yeah graphics card is a need to know thing too.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 3:40 AM
No,i'm just going to use it to run the sims 2,so it'a not really hardcore gaming,an i'll get the graphics specs soon.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 5:30 AM
The Sims 2 is hard-core enough to wanna make sure that the graphics card that is installed onto that machine will work for this game. If you don't think it's hard core, why do so many people (including myself) have to upgrade their machines or purchase newer ones to play it?

But hey, that's just my observation

PS: This doesn't even include the CC you "Might" want to install in your game....just think about it. You might as well get a pc that has a good enough graphics card because you are going to be quite un-satisfied if you don't. Oh, is this going to be a desktop or laptop? If a laptop, you might want to purchase the one that has the best graphics card because you cannot upgrade those....another piece of advice .

Happy Computer Shopping,

LaTasha

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Alchemist
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkgirl4real
Hey guys,
I'm about to get a new computer,but it has an Amd Sempron 3400+ processor,it has 80gb of space,and 512mb of DDR2 memory.I have no idea what some of this means,but i need to know if i'll run the game well?.
Help is greatly appreciated!

You need more RAM. My son has that exact setup , but 2 gigs of RAM and he has no problems running the game. You'll probably need a better graphics adapter though. I'm sure that one has an integrated chip
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2007 at 2:38 PM
A better graphics card could easily go with 1gb ram as opposed to 2gb and an integrated chip.

Whats your budget?

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 11:33 PM
Thanks guys for your help i got the computer,it ran the sims 2 fine and has pretty good graphics,but it came with vista,now within just days of using it i have decided that vista sucks.I'm downgrading back because vista just takes up too much space,and i want to get seasons but there's not much space left so would this be a good decision?
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:27 AM
You have Vista but you want to install XP on it? That's what I would do in your case LOL.

You have only 512mb and Vista? I'm surprised your game runs well :\ I had a laptop with 512mb with Vista that lasted only a few days and nothing at all worked well LMAO 512mb is not enough with Vista. Even if you install XP I would reccomend increasing your ram to 1 GB. Especially since with the low specs you listed I would be very surprised if you weren't running integrated graphics.

Can you tell us now that you have the laptop what graphics it has?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:31 AM
You really need to know the full specs before you can know if you can do that - certain graphics cards and the like (especially ones in laptops) don't even have XP drivers so sometimes you -can't- put XP on.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:31 AM
i was pretty surprised too,but it runs well,and it's a desktop though,so should i downgrade?,oh and i was wondering i want to find out my system specs but it's not like xp with the run function so what do i do?
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:33 AM
Again, you need to know your specs and make sure that you can get drivers for everything first. You -should- still be able to run dxdiag in Vista... I think. Otherwise it'll probably be roughly the same... device manager in Control Panel should be able to tell you.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
shiny!
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pinkgirl4real
i was pretty surprised too,but it runs well,and it's a desktop though,so should i downgrade?,oh and i was wondering i want to find out my system specs but it's not like xp with the run function so what do i do?

Do you know how to get to your device manager? Also, typically new computers come with documentation..
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:35 AM
ohh,okay i'll go check and get back to you then,and no i don't really know how,i feel so dumb now among you computer gurus
shiny!
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:39 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Manager

Quote:
Windows Vista:

Open the Start menu, right-click on Computer, select Manage
Click on "Device Manager" in the left-hand tree
Alternative solution 1: run devmgmt.msc
Alternative solution 2: Device Manager is part of the Computer Management, which also includes Event Viewer, Services Manager, Disk Management, as well as many other things. Right-Click My Computer then select Manage to start Computer Management, or invoke compmgmt.msc

Your computer really didn't come with any documenation telling you what hardware is in it? You can use device manager.. but normally new computers will come with documentation..
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:41 AM
I don't really know,my dad set it up when i wasn't there,so it probably did and i didn't know
shiny!
retired moderator
#18 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 12:49 AM
Okay so.. use device manager to determine what hardware you have, or if that really confuses you, then you can use this program: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 10th Jan 2008 at 1:04 AM
thanks for your help will do and i hope i can,so i can at least get seasons.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 4:24 AM
Sorry for the double posting but recently while playing i noticed that my sims had kind of webbed fingers?!,i so don't want this and i was wondering if it was my video card or maybe something i downloaded?
retired moderator
#21 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 4:44 AM
Game Options - Graphics Options - Sim/Object Detail - Set to High.

shiny!
retired moderator
#22 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 4:56 AM
Their low specs suggest they most likely have integrated and not dedicated graphics.. I thought you said not to run integrated chips on high.. ?
retired moderator
#23 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 5:00 AM
I don't believe she's actually ever -given- her specs (though we've certainly asked). You can run integrated graphics on those settings temporarily. Wasn't so much suggesting she actually -do- that so much as... that it's a game setting, not really a problem with the graphics card (as one would find in, say, not viewing bump maps or the snow x-ray) or something downloaded.

shiny!
retired moderator
#24 Old 13th Jan 2008 at 5:12 AM
You're right she hasn't given her graphics specs, but in her first post she said the computer has a sempron 3400+ processor with a 80gb hdd and 512mb of ram. She may have a dedicated graphics card, but those specs so low and budget oriented that, personally, I'd be shocked to find they included a decent graphics processor. Anyway, I understand now!
Instructor
#25 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 9:17 PM
Although sometimes, the game thinks that it can handle only very low graphics settings, but can actually handle more. I know this from experience with my old PC.

But those specs are quite low for Sims 2 with all expansions. Base game will probably work fine, with maybe 1 or 2 EPs. Hopefully, she can post all her specs.

But for integrated cards, If you can't get a decent graphics card (and PSU if needed), all settings must be low except maybe Sim and Object Detail to see those fingers.

Page 1 of 6