Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:09 AM
I know what you mean I got 1.5 GB of CC, and I've never had any problems with those
Omega drivers.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#52 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 1:18 AM
Hmm thanks Buzz. I've heard those reccomended too but never bothered since TS2 is the most demanding game I play. Nice to know they improve Ts2 as well in some cases.
Forum Resident
#53 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 3:22 AM
the actual lag i have now is its randomly fast and slow... classic dual core incompatibilities..... so i'm not fussed.... im just hoping TS3 will be fine on it.
shiny!
retired moderator
#54 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 4:26 AM
There are people with your exact cpu that don't have that issue, so I'm not buying it's an incompatibility. If a processor was truly incompatible it would be a universal problem. Computers are built on science, and science doesn't make room for randomness. I thought we determined it was your cc since removing it fixed the problem? Please correct me if I misread something..
Forum Resident
#55 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
There are people with your exact cpu that don't have that issue, so I'm not buying it's an incompatibility. If a processor was truly incompatible it would be a universal problem. Computers are built on science, and science doesn't make room for randomness. I thought we determined it was your cc since removing it fixed the problem? Please correct me if I misread something..

Yes but its perfectly fine with dual core optimized games (eg. crysis, COD4 ect.)

But not with sims.....i have downlaoded alot of CC recently....errmmm....they are very ornate and have alot of polygons....i should clear my downloads and test it in sections.....But meh.....im a little fed up with sims...lol... how much longer do we have to wait for TS3...tsk

EDIT- It is ALOT faster than my brothers 7600GT....with that i had it on all low settings and even then it was kinda slow...but now its alot better....

All this started with freetime.
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TingTong
Actually it won't. I have a 8600GT 512mb card with a 2.6ghz dual core and 2GB of memory aswell as a sata 500GB hard drive....this runs Call of duty 4 and medal of honor airbourne great but sims?? No way! It still lags on large lots and this is with settings on medium...

I only have 990mb of downloads and iv'e defragged my hard drive regulary....i agree with purplepaws choice...ATI have less BSOD's and its good to have a card like that as she said..

"you dont know what game i might pick up in the future"

That's a kick a$$ system actually and I'm sure it plays COD4 and MOH just fine but those are 2 very different styled games, there what they call scripted,now TS2 is a very different style of game and if EA, and all game mgf's would actually write a multi threading program, then maybe we as consumers would have a reason to buy dual and quad core CPU's,just to take advantage of them, but untill then we'll just have to configure our vid cards to get the most FPS's that we can (sigh).
Forum Resident
#57 Old 28th Mar 2008 at 9:41 PM
Yeah....i didnt think it was kick ass...but thanks! My brother has started to install his games on MY pc becuase of the video card..... Yes...really the sims 3 should be dual core optimized..because if its not then thats old technology!
Lab Assistant
#58 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 4:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by TingTong
Yeah....i didnt think it was kick ass...but thanks! My brother has started to install his games on MY pc becuase of the video card..... Yes...really the sims 3 should be dual core optimized..because if its not then thats old technology!

I don't think there's one game that's made to take advantage of multi core processors,(sigh).
Forum Resident
#59 Old 29th Mar 2008 at 4:35 PM
Well i think crysis does...ermmm and on the back of call of duty 4 it says dual core processor X2....so im guessing that does aswell...but yeah hardly any do!
Scholar
Original Poster
#60 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 5:29 AM
Well, I hate to eat crow, but after all my ATI preaching, you guys finally got me. ...Well, you and several other forums, review sites, etc. The thing is I was not as confident as I'd have like to have been regarding the 3970 decision. The main thing that worried me was that no one could say for sure how TS2 would run on it. After doing a lot more research on the 9600 GT, I think it is actually more suited to my needs. (Not to mention it's fifty bucks cheaper, which is a nice bonus.) ...So, I've ordered that one as well and will send the Radeon back as soon as it arrives.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not usually this fickle. Really, lol.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 5:55 AM
PurplePaws, when you do get your new video card...can you upload some pics of your game ? I would love to see how that graphics card kicks butt...

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
Well, I hate to eat crow, but after all my ATI preaching, you guys finally got me. ...Well, you and several other forums, review sites, etc. The thing is I was not as confident as I'd have like to have been regarding the 3970 decision. The main thing that worried me was that no one could say for sure how TS2 would run on it. After doing a lot more research on the 9600 GT, I think it is actually more suited to my needs. (Not to mention it's fifty bucks cheaper, which is a nice bonus.) ...So, I've ordered that one as well and will send the Radeon back as soon as it arrives.

Oh, and just for the record, I'm not usually this fickle. Really, lol.

It's your hard earned money, be as fickle as you want, and good choice on the new vid card you should have a good card for at least a year.
Oh and crow tastes good with mustard, I know this from experience. LOL
shiny!
retired moderator
#63 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 9:26 AM
I think you will be very happy with the 9600gt. I have heard great things about that card.
Forum Resident
#64 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 10:05 PM
well my friend had a 9600 and installed it and her PSU went way past the requirements and when she ran the sims 2 it said directx can not emulate...she went back to her 8600GT and it was fine....

Although i think you still made a good choice...it does kick ass....
shiny!
retired moderator
#65 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 10:10 PM
There's nothing wrong with that card for TS2. I know many people who have it, including one of the admin of these forums.
Scholar
Original Poster
#66 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lmfjaxxon
PurplePaws, when you do get your new video card...can you upload some pics of your game ? I would love to see how that graphics card kicks butt...

Sure! I'll probably be a few days though, as I ordered this one online as well.

Sensitivity is strength.
Forum Resident
#67 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
There's nothing wrong with that card for TS2. I know many people who have it, including one of the admin of these forums.

I was only telling an experience i heard.....i dunno it could have become helpful...was it HP that has that card?..i think i saw it somewhere.

*hides* :hide:
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 31st Mar 2008 at 11:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Purplepaws
Sure! I'll probably be a few days though, as I ordered this one online as well.

Goodie! I just want to see what that puppy is like:jaw: .....I bet it is going to be awesome with awesome-ess ....

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Scholar
Original Poster
#69 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 11:35 AM
Okay, so the 9600 GT finally arrived and I've had a couple days to test it. The graphics are pretty impressive, I must say, and the speed has definitely increased (even with all settings maxed at a 1440 x 900 resolution). It's not completely lag-free but probably as good as I'm going to get on a Core 2 Quad processor. The fan is extremely quiet (a major plus for me) and works well as the computer doesn't seem to put out that much heat. All in all, it's a great card.

However... *sigh* and I was so hoping to avoid this, the game has crashed twice on me tonight, each after about thirty minutes of play. With the first crash, I thought it was just a Free Time issue, but the second one was followed by a BSOD. I updated the drivers before testing, but I didn't actually uninstall/reinstall them. Do you think that's the problem? Ugh, I am so tired of all this video card trouble. I just want to play my game. *headdesk*

Oh, and Lmfjaxxon, I haven't really gotten much of a chance to take pictures yet, but when I do I'll definitely post. Just so you didn't think I forgot.

Sensitivity is strength.
Forum Resident
#70 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 12:39 PM
As i said before with my friend.....she had that.....

try uninstalling it in the add/remove programs option in the control panel...it sould be called nvidia drivers. Then usee a driver cleaner like this one-

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

And select all nvidia programs. This will remove all traces of drivers. Then restart and re-install the official drivers off the nvidia site-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvis...74.74_whql.html

Restart and try it out. Or if that doesnt work try the omega drivers.

If that still causes crashing...well i'd reccomend returning it and swapping it for a GF 8800

Also-

Patching Your Game-

has your game been patched with the latest freetime patch off the official site?

You can always try the shaders fix that fixed games when the BSOD and seasons crashes happened.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ue_Screen_Issue
Scholar
Original Poster
#71 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 1:00 PM
Well, you said your friend had a Direct X problem. I didn't think it was the same thing as the blue screen.

Anyway, looks like I've got a lot of work ahead of me. I'll try your suggestions regarding the drivers- first with the newest, then with the older one, and if neither of those work, I'll try the Omega drivers. I'm dead-set on getting this damn thing to work. I reeeeeeally don't want to return it.

If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll try disabling the pixel shaders, but I'd hate to lose the fish effects.

And my game is patched, by the way.

Sensitivity is strength.
Forum Resident
#72 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 1:02 PM
Oh she did get BSOD's aswell....i should have said that! She swapped it for her old 8600GT and her hubby got the card for his bioshock and crysis games.
Scholar
Original Poster
#73 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 1:06 PM
I recall a post by HystericalParoxysm somewhere around here that said her 9600 GT required a major driver update to stop the BSOD's. I wonder what all she did to rectify the problem. If your suggestions don't work, perhaps I'll ask her.

Sensitivity is strength.
Forum Resident
#74 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 1:11 PM
you could but if it still causes the BSOD's try putting boolprop useshaders false in the userstartup file.
shiny!
retired moderator
#75 Old 7th Apr 2008 at 1:12 PM
Never use the drivers that come on the CD for anything you purchase. They're always out of date. I reccomend uninstalling the card, restarting your computer, and then reinstalling the newest drivers from either nvidia or one of the omega drivers that tingtong suggested.

Yes, also make sure your game is patched.

Might also check that it's not overheating: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php Keep it running while you play the game and check in every now and again. It will record max temps.

You might also try reseating it, to make sure it's really put in there right. You did also connect the extra wire from the power supply to it right? It's not enough just to snap it into the pcie slot.. And actually while you have the case open check to see what power supply is in there? It might be too weak for the card.. You'd think they'd put a decent one in for running the 8500gt but who knows.

Page 3 of 4