Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:14 PM
Default Is this a good graphics card for The Sims 2?
ATI Radeon HD 2400 256 DDR2 RAM. Although, I don't have an HD monitor, I wonder if that would be ok...?

Or Nvidia Geforce OC 6200 256 DDR2 RAM.

Lately, I haven't been able to play the sims 2 with nightlife, university, OFB, and seasons without freezing every few minutes, and one of the times my PC was making some kind of beeping noise. Someone said it was my graphics card overheating. My PC is currently 1.2 GHZ, 512 mb of RAM, Nvidia Geforce TI 4200 with 128 RAM. It's an AMD Athlon with windows XP. I'm probably going to upgrade the RAM to 1 gig in a few weeks, and the processor to 2.8 GHZ. But first I'm upgrading the graphics card

I want to be able to play with off the above mentioned expansion packs on medium to high graphics settings, with neighbors turned on, as well as reflections. And eventually I'm getting BV and freetime.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:21 PM
well....neither are a great card....the 6200 would play....but iv'e heard of crashes.... ermm...you will need a new psu most likely....

I am assuming you are in the us..so

Its the same as the one you listed but it has 512mb

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814150269

youd need a new psu so...

I have this one-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16817139003

Its great..and sufficient enough!
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:26 PM
Neither are good cards.. I would not reccomend getting either card if that's your goal.

You should also realize that unless you have already done this yourself, you will need to buy a new power supply to run the new card as well. There is also no guarantee of new card fit.. that's a very old computer. What model is?

Before you go out and start buying a new graphics card, new processor, new ram, new psu.. I would be getting a new computer. There's no sense in putting all that money into such an old outdated computer when all it's going to do is make it look just a little less old and outdated.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:32 PM
You could try building your own pc..it can work out cheaper...although it would be easier to have a company make it
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:33 PM
If they're able to install all that new stuff they should be able to build a new one, this is true LOL
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:37 PM
I can't afford a new PC, that's why I'm upgrading alittle at a time. The model is an AMD Athlon, that's all I know. It's old, that's for sure. I bought it refurbished in early 2005.

I replaced the power supply a few months back, it burned out, but I don't know what watts it is.
shiny!
retired moderator
#7 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:42 PM
No, that's not your model that's the type of processor you have in your computer. Run this program for me please: http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Look to the left and you will see many icons. Click the middle icon on the top row. On the information box to the right of the icons which displays, click manufacturer. There will be new information displayed in the box to the bottom. Let me know what
Quote:
General Information :
Product :
Version :

Are you quite sure you can upgrade to that processor you want to upgrade? You do not seem to have enough information about your computer to know what you can upgrade and what you cannot.. Not all processors are compatible with all motherboards. You will also need to know what kind and speed of ram is compatible, and also if your computer uses an agp, pci-e, or neither video slot to know even what kind of video card to get. There is still a matter of fit at that point.

You're going to have to find out how many watts before you know if you can upgrade. You can find out by opening the case, and there will be a sticker on the psu which says.

I understand you don't have a lot of money, it's just that the computer isn't even worth as much as all those upgrades, even taking into account what worth the upgrading will do to it. You can build yourself a nice new computer for under $500.. prob like closer to $300 even. I'll have to try to spec something up on newegg if you're interested.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Mar 2008 at 9:59 PM
Case w/ power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16811129024 $129.95
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16813128059 $89.99
Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16819115029 $189.99
ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16820145098 $39.99
Arctic silver 5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16835100007 5.99
Graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16814130085 59.99
Hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16822136062 $59.99

You can use whatever cdrom/dvdrom you have in your current computer.

I can go cheaper too.. that was just a first shot at it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 5:53 AM
All of that is still too expensive, Callistra. The only way I could possibly get a new PC is through a monthly payment plan, like rent-a-center or bestbuy, but that generally requires one to have some form of credit of which I have none.

Would those video cards atleast enable me to go back to playing the sims 2 without crashing every few minutes, maybe without crashing at all? And which would be the better choice?

My xbox 360 just got the red rings of death and along with that the sims started freezing up on me. So now I can't play anything. And I was already alittle bitter towards video games anyways. Now it's appearing as though my only, and best, option is to back away from video games for awhile, maybe for good. Because, see, there's games coming for xbox 360 later this year that I want, and if I want to play them, I'll have to buy another 360(I'm not dealing with microsoft). I can't buy a 360 and a new PC. I can't buy either right now.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 6:10 AM
Probably the 6200...although you should check your psu to see the wattages....

Microsoft repair 360's for free now!
shiny!
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 6:40 AM
Newegg offers a credit plan with so many months zero interest and payments. It's really easy to qualify. Might be something to keep in mind.

You will likely have freezing/lagging on both. Actually, the ATI is faster/better, but again you may have to buy a new psu. If your psu isn't up to running the card you could fry your entire computer and every component in it. I would be careful because you need to make sure the cards are compatible with your computer. I can tell from how little you can tell us about it that you couldn't possibly have verified it. You need to first find out if your computer has a pci-e, agp, or just pci slot available, and you need to make sure the card you are getting fits the slot your computer has. I think you have an AGP slot, but you need to make sure. You also need to make sure that it will physically fit. Some slim cases and the like will have issues with this. How much money were you planning on spending on a graphics card?

I recommend you not install BV or FT until you upgrade your cpu as well, since it is below minimum requirements. Also recommend you not install them until you get yourself more ram. Actually.. your cpu is under minimums for some of the expansion packs you already have installed, so that may also be why you're crashing. Your computer just needs a lot of help and money into it before you can play the game okay, and it's money that you are pretty well just burning up with no return.

Is your xbox is under warranty. Don't go buying a new one when you could get it repaired for free :\ I just read some article about those crapping out at way higher rates than other gaming systems..

Quote:
Red Ring of Death: What to do
Is it a "real" red ring of death? Somewhat confusingly, the true red ring error only has three of the four quarters of the ring illuminated. If all four are lit up, you have a much simpler problem: your A/V cable is loose!

Enterprising 360 owners have discovered a homebrewed way to fix the problem, although it only works for a short period of time. It involves turning on your console, wrapping it tightly in a towel, and leaving it on for 20-25 minutes. This might void your warranty from Microsoft, so consider yourself warned.

If all else fails, hit up the Xbox web site to request a warranty repair. They'll send you a cardboard "coffin" for you to return your console and send back a fixed machine in a few weeks. The official warranty was extended to three years for this specific problem, so even launch-day 360s are technically still covered.
Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 9:16 AM
uhm, well. looking at the specs of your current machine, i don´t think that upgrades are the way to go - ram, cpu, gpu and psu - maybe a new motherboard as well to fit a new cpu in... most likely a new windows-license, as too many parts got changed -almost a classic case, where one should rather consider buying a new cheap pc-system with a free pci-e slot and upgrade the videocard later. my advice would be - save your money now and buy a new pc later - even if it´s much later. just my two cents.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 9th Mar 2008 at 4:22 PM
Yeah...thats the bottom line...upgrading that old machine is burning money....

Staying off the sims until you do have a chance to build/buy your own pc would be a good bet....
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 5:48 AM
The local PC technician verified that I have an AGP slot.

I walked around bestbuy for an hour the other day, before I made this thread, trying to decide if I should purchase a graphics card. One of the salesman informed that the ATI Radeon would run the sims 2 at top settings, of course, he could have just said that so I'd buy it. But I decided I'd just buy it and come and research alittle before opening it. The bestbuy nearest to me is about 40 miles, and they only had one, and if I decided I wanted they may not have it when I returned. I thought why not. It was $112.

But basically what most of you are telling me is....I wasted my money and time, lol. And I'll probably have to drive all the way back over there to return it.

Callistra, the reason I don't want to send my 360 is for repairs is because I have alot of downloaded content, and when I got it back I'd have to be on xbox live everytime I wanted to use the content. That isn't an option for me since I don't have a router, and every time I switch between 360 and PC I have difficulty connecting to the internet. See what I'm saying? And there's a high probability that I may get a defective one back. That's happened to several people.

And my PC meets all the requirements for the sims 2, and it's expansion packs, except for the processor, and I miss that only by alittle. I have 1.2, the recommendation for seasons is 1.3. And aside from the freezing and the ocassional lagging, the game ran well. I had the graphics all the way down, though.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 1:20 PM
I have a 6200 and trying bioshock demo it looks horrible get neither
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 1:41 PM
The EA-listed system requirements for Sims 2 are -minimum- system requirements to get the game to run - not to get it to run even playably well. Their specs are -dramatically- underpowered and if you don't even meet their minimums, it's really not going to run well at all. It's frankly irresponsible of them to post such low requirements, simply to sell more copies - to people who will be very disappointed when the game doesn't run well or keeps crashing.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...em_Requirements

Note the recommended system requirements.

I don't think that Radeon will do very well for you, nor will the nVidia. Neither are great cards. The salesman was either misinformed, lying, just trying to make a sale, or a combination of those.

You also still need to know for sure what your new power supply is - you say you replaced one but you need to know exactly with what. If you look on the power supply it should say what it is. If you just replaced it with a cheap, low-powered one, you may end up spending as much to upgrade it as the card itself...

I wonder, have you actually popped open the case to see if maybe your heating issues are due to dust clogging things up or some fans not working? If this problem has come up recently after playing with those EPs decently well up to this point, you might be able to resolve it without spending much or any money.

I'd agree with Callistra - that PC probably isn't worth pumping that much cash into when you can likely get a new one for not that much more money - that will continue to be upgradeable in future, and will serve you better. I know getting a new PC can be difficult if you're on a tight budget and can't put it on a credit card or something, but it would be worth it to save up for a while to get a new system. That setup Callistra linked to would get you a whole new PC for under $600 and is a very nice system, especially for the price. Hell, I wouldn't mind having that system myself.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 4:59 PM
Yes, I totally agree with HP...that salesman was totally misinformed and he got a sale...

If i was you i'd save up and wait....what callistra listed is a good machine...please dont waste money upgrading that old machine.

I have the same specs callistra listed.. (but i have 512mb on the graphics card and a 500GB hard drive) and the sims runs hell of alot faster than my old pc with the "upgrade" specs you listed.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 6:27 PM
I like to echo other people's opinion that upgrading so many components in your PC is a not good idea. I feel once you find yourself needing to upgrade more than three components then it maybe worth replacing the machine.

Personally, I would just upgrade the RAM to 1Gig. I am not sure how much extra performance you will get by replacing your existing GeForce 4 with the other cards. There will be an improvement but the question is whether that improvement is economical. I would guess money is a major factor for you so that makes it even more important any upgrades you make is worth the money you spend.

Upgrading the CPU is not a simple case of removing the old and inserting a new. CPU sockets changes frequently and you will be limited by the socket in the motherboard.
Test Subject
#19 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 6:32 PM
Whatever you do Do NOT go to Rent a Center. While you can infact get one there It will Not likely play that game all that well.

Also whatever you do Don't go to places like Blue hippo or any of those places who say for people with No credit but if you have a bank account they will sell you a system no matter what and they offer to toss in all sorts of fre crap
Do Not Do It!!! If you do not believe me Look these places up on RipOff report.com
or Better Business Burea. Anytime you see a place offering a system at little to no money or to anyone who has no credit or bad credit Google that company name
You will find some scary stuff i assure you

For the money these type places charge which is like 120 to 150 a WEEK
You can put that much in a savings account or a drawer for goodness sake and but one from a local custom computer place.

So if you have to play with a little less for 6 to 8 weeks do that save every week and have one built

By the way I have the Radeon HD 2600 XT card with 1 Gb and it is working out great for me.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 8:59 PM
Well, I'm sure this PC probably needs cleaning. I've never cleaned it. It has alot of dust clog on the outer fans, it's probably worse on the inside. And, yeah, seasons ran perfectly for an entire week, then it just started freezing on me. My entire PC would freeze, and one time it made this beeping noise. I would post this on the tech help board, but it would probably get locked.

I've never heard of newegg. I'll look into it, thanks callistra.

I think I'll go to my local PC store and ask them about building me a new PC or see what they have. I'll post whatever they have when I return.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Mar 2008 at 9:10 PM
Thats a very good idea.... and ive heard neweggs really good.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:23 AM
I managed to find a PC at the PC store. It's a AMD Athlong 64x2 Dual-Core Processor 5000x, 2GB memory, 500GB hard drive and a DVD Supermulti Drive with Lightscribe. It's $499.

The technician said it had an on bourd graphics card, and I've heard alot of bad things about that. I heard The Sims 2 runs like crap on dual core processors, and I don't like Vista, but she said she'd downgrade to XP for me, and I can upgrade to Vista later. She didn't mention a fee for this either. Vista requires more resources for games, especially with The Sims 2.

What do you all think?

Along with The Sims 2, and all expansions packs, I'd like to play Never Winter Nights 2, Dungeon Siege 2, Lord of the Rings online, and a few other games. Think that PC could handle them?
Forum Resident
#23 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:36 AM
It would yes..but your right...onboard graphics are not meant for gaming..im really suprised a system like that wouldnt have a dedicated graphics card....

I have a dual core processor and yes it is sometimes laggy and jutty and sometimes Speedy fast... but that can be easilt sorted by changing the processor affinity-

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...ual_Core_Issues

This article will help explain the disadvantages of onboard graphics and how (temporarily) you can play it without blurryness ect.

http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...nboard_Graphics

If you do decide to buy that system would a seperate graphics card be possible maybe? Also definatly downgrade to XP...good move
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 5:43 AM
lol, the saleswoman said it wouldn't matter because of how fast the processor is. That may make some difference, but I doubt it would matter to much. And precisely how fast is a 5000x processor?
Scholar
#25 Old 11th Mar 2008 at 10:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cassandra_M
lol, the saleswoman said it wouldn't matter because of how fast the processor is. That may make some difference, but I doubt it would matter to much. And precisely how fast is a 5000x processor?
Was she talking about the graphics? If she was she doesn't know what she's talking about, the difference between on-board graphics and a decent dedicated card is huge!

I think that is the same processor I have, AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+, it's 2.60 GHz.

Page 1 of 2