Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#26 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 10:50 PM
Currently we have ten pet rats, a group of 4 girls and another of 6 boys. The girls are much more lively and less likely to want a cuddle (although you do get the odd dopey one) and the boys are very much like large squishy pillows. Keeping the smell down is fairly easy, litter train them.. they pick it up quite easily and spot clean the cage every day, wiping down shelves and cleaning litter trays, then a full clean out once a week. Remember to use a paper based litter NOT any kind of sawdust/woodshavings as these contain phenols that are damaging to the delicate respiratory system of a little fuzzbutt.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 11:26 PM
Oooo! I used to have pet rats! They were my most favorite pets in my entire house for quite sometime! I even did a Spanish project about them. XD We were breeding rats to feed to our snakes, so we kept a few as pets/breeders. They were just so easy to hold and have fun with, and made barely any mess... well, except for in their cages.

We had Voldemort, Tom, Traz, Ben, Bambi, and Barbadosa. Voldie was my litte baby. She was the sweetest thing. Ben, he was awesome, although a bit of a perv. He enjoyed crawling down my bra to gain warmth. XD

I was bawling like a baby when Voldie died and when the last of our good rats died, we decided not to keep any more rats as pets. But, since seeing a Ratatoullie, my friend has decided that we should get some new ones. XD

Piccies!
Voldemort
Tom (Perhaps Traz.)

-Holy Hell!-
The cement is just - it's there for the weight dear!

Nice 'n' easy does it everytime...
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 4:35 AM
If you don't want to read the following, read this instead:
Rats are very cute and make lovely pets. I recommend them for anyone, as they do not smell bad or spread bubonic plague. They are also smart, friendly, and playful, yet do not require as much attention as a dog, cat, or bird.

My sister insisted on getting pet rats. At first I did not want more pets, especially not rats, because we already have two dogs, a cat, and too many fish to count. But we got two rats anyway, one died for unknown reasons after a week, then we got another one, then it died a little later too. But we still have one and even I now admit that she is very, very cute. Rats do have a reputation of being disease-ridden vermin, but they actually aren't, they don't smell bad or bite or anything. You have to clean their cage about once a week, but the good news for me is that since the rat is technically my sister's, she gets to pay for their food and clean the cage.

Rats are very fun to bring out at parties. My dad recently had a party with all the people he works with--it was sorta creepy, every single woman there had blonde hair, except for me and my sister, but anyways, it's (I think) really funny to see how people react. You shouldn't go around randomly putting the rat on people's heads, of course, or near the food, and if anyone freaks out, you can just assure them that it's your pet, and has no health issues, and is not rabid, etc.

The real John McCain

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
-Albert Schweitzer
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 12:22 PM
Me! I had a hamster.
But that was ageees ago. And she died because I didn't spend enough time with her, and therefore not noticing her illness ): (till now, I'm still not sure why she died)
It was depressing for me. I didn't even dare to touch its carcass.
I miss her.

Shoo, stop staring at this and go fly a kite.
Test Subject
#30 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 11:21 PM
I've had two hamsters in the last two years.. the first one died because it choked on a really hard thing i brought at the pet store.. I found her when i got home and was crying so much. (i get attached to animals the first moment i get them) My aunt and her friend came with me to bury her on the highway.. probably not the best place... but it had to be somewhere.. and i did not want to just throw her out lol.. the second one was so tiny.. i only had her for at least 6 months.. Im not sure what she died of i just remember her looking very sick..and the third is the one im with right now.. im taking especially good care of this hamster.. she is all black except her tummy.. she is playful .. but she sleeps mostly through the day and is up when im ready to go to bed but i wake her up sometimes im hoping to get another one soon so she can have someone with her lol
Page 2 of 2