Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#51 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 8:54 AM Last edited by patul : 29th Nov 2006 at 8:59 AM. Reason: adds
Corvi,
for the infobox, have a look to the first stairs tutos, if you want, just add 'basegame.gif' as logo1st and 'base game' as caption, it is sufficient other are more optional.

Delphy,
some questions
- is it interesting to add an image in the overview section ? I think the page is "arid"
- if yes, wich is the best format ? (size-compression...)
- and what about the images copyrights for the mts2, the eagames, the mikeinside tutorials ?
Niol, an others
could you have a look to the stairs page (I divided it in sub-categories) and let a comment ?

all

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 7:42 PM
patul,

maybe, we can just use a representative pic to show a particular build feature out to let readers know what tutorials are available for that particular build feature. ...and/or, we can make new pix for categorised build features.

All,

As for tutorials or graphical helps I've made, all graphicals and even words can be re-used in any way as long as no one else claims credits for them.
Mad Poster
#53 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 9:24 PM
Yes niol it is just to show what the tuto show without open each one (in this case those from here are more easy to use), 1 generic pic in the overview section is sufficient.
Now we know for your pics, what about the others ?
I think as there is a pic showed on mts2 there is no problem but I think ...
I have one of my girls at my job who have some experience in wiki, for cups and teapots paintings..., and she said that the wiki rules are stricts with the copyright. It is why I want an answer for the other sites than MTS2.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#54 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 3:19 PM
I guess it may be even faster and easier to make some pix our own except those that takes a lot of effort to make.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#55 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 11:06 AM
Hi All

Sorry for the lack of response - real life stuff kept me busy the past week or so.

I'm wondering if we need the "Related Links" at all? The header bit (with all the sections) will allow users to easily move between section so Related would then only apply to specific tutorials that are linked together.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Mad Poster
#56 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 11:26 AM
I agree with you, if a link is needed it can be in an other section (what you will need or tutorial).

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#57 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 8:13 PM
I'm sorry to say that, but I'm really getting confused again,.

I'm trying to reorganise the the tutorials listings for the stair into a more categorised way (the way shown in the discussion platform). And, I've already prepared some of the pix for each categorised type/group.
But, I just can't figure out how to edit the links and the listings.

Have I to edit all the sections and the main page at the same time for them to show up the way mentioned in the discussion platform?
Or I just edit the page in a html editor and just paste the new codes there? or even just save the page and edit it in a html editor and then upload the page?

Throught the page source codes, I can see the listings and links but not in the edit window...
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#58 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 9:14 PM
niol,

The listings on the main category pages are automatically generated based on the pages in that category. If you edit the page you'll see "<ncl>" stuff. Anything in that category will automatically get added to the main overall page. You should not add individual pages to the Stairs main page - always use the category

Mad Poster
#59 Old 6th Dec 2006 at 9:14 PM
Niol I did it for the stairs ...

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#60 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 2:41 AM Last edited by niol : 7th Dec 2006 at 2:48 AM.
It's how the categories are and how the tutorials are linked to I wanna change mostly coz I see different types of stair tutorials are mixed together in different categories while the similar ones are separate.
or is it just me seeing that way?

TYs

Presently, these're what I guess...
So, I can use "move" to move a page to another new category?
To make a new category, I use "ncl"?
So, the main page is the global of the page, the categories are the locals of the pages, and the listings are objects of the locals?
Mad Poster
#61 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 5:36 AM
To move (and create) a category add/change it at the bottom of the tutorial page where you see : [[Category:Build .......
finally edit and save your new category to be shown.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#62 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 6:51 AM Last edited by niol : 10th Dec 2006 at 12:46 AM.
patul,

merci beaucoup!

Lol, I guess I've made a new category on the stair section, yet I couldn't find that category in the category listing, so I can't open it to add a tutroial in there.
Still confused... but trying...
Mad Poster
#63 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 6:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by niol
Lol, I guess I've made a new category on the stair section, yet I couldn't find that category in the category listing, so I can't open it to add a tutroial in there.
Still confused... but trying...

I'm feeling kinnda frustrated... argh...
still haven't figured out how to do that.. :P
I'm just slow... Any more help.. or I just list out which tutorials may go to which category according to the discussion ones. Presently, I see the stair section as a messy department of a department store... :P
Top Secret Researcher
#64 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 6:50 PM
Welcome to the club lol I'm starting to think i'm dumb. :-P

You will find my older and newest creations here
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#65 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 7:33 PM
niol,

If a category doesn't exist, it'll get created automatically when you add the [[Category:Whatever]] stuff at the bottom of the tutorials.

Then, to add it to the "Master" page, you use: <ncl>Category:Whatever</ncl> and voila, everything in that category appears in a list.

This way the "Master" page doesn't contain links to individual tutorials but instead functions like a template and just inserts the relevant ones based on the category.

So, you'd have:
Category:Build Mode Tutorials Modular Stairs
Category:Build Mode Tutorials Stealth Stairs
Category:Build Mode Tutorials Stairs that go up and down

The tutorials in each of those sections get added to that category then the category itself gets added to the master page.

I think some of the other pages are setup like this - for example the Garages/Driveways one.

Mad Poster
#66 Old 14th Dec 2006 at 8:23 PM
Niol, if you create a new category
first add it in the bottom of the page, verify it comes in the new one THEN delete the old categoryline ... just to avoid to search it in the complete list !
I did it and it is.......marvelous to spend an hour to search :D

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#67 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 5:02 AM
To the club of dumbs including me...,:D

we'll hold on and eventually understand what the heck it's about, right? maybe, we start with little by little..., so we can deal with it slowly...It's just yet another game!

Quote:
The tutorials in each of those sections get added to that category then the category itself gets added to the master page.

Thanks this's just what I need know for now... The whole description just further make it clearer to see how the categorisation can be generally done... Thaks again...

I think Delphy, patul and/or else will carry on to help the club of dumbs hopefully... !
Scholar
#68 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 8:10 AM
I don't get it :S

I was trying to add all my tutorials from the reflexsims forum but I didn't get very far...too complicated for my brain to handle early hours of the morning with no sleep!

But if anyone wants to add them for community purposes then feel free! I give up! :D
Mad Poster
#69 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 8:43 AM Last edited by patul : 15th Dec 2006 at 9:06 AM.
Thank you jonesi, I'll try to include them,
Edit :
It works : http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials...clean_installer

Just a question are we allowed to use your images to illustrate the menu page (it is a wiki legal request) ?

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#70 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 9:31 AM
Patul, as the links on bottim of pages (Privacy Policy, Disclaimer, About Sims2Wiki) don't exist yet (which means so far there was no need to use them): no general solution isn't worked out yet.
I just asked myself if asking every tutorial creator for the right to use a picture to illustrate the content of the linked tutorial might be a bit complicated as in this case on every site using a picture a notice telling the reader "picture is allowed to be used" would have to be added to clarify for readers that these pictures are nevertheless copyright protected - though they are used on the Sims2 Wiki where no licence agreement exists yet.
Know what I mean? Asking is fair and required - but showing the result easily on the wiki might be useful to protect the rights of creators and tell the users "how to use". A general result everybody can read on one page would make sense, I think.

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#71 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 10:24 AM
Pictures of the results would come under "fair use" - after all, there are pictures within the "Community Tutorials" listing here on MTS2, therefore they should be allowed on the wiki

Scholar
#72 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 5:34 PM
Uhuh, I agree with Delphy...Do what you like with my images, thanks for asking though :D
Instructor
#73 Old 15th Dec 2006 at 11:13 PM
Well, ok, I'm "hypercareful"
After my work (no Sims stuff) was misused by others and I only got to know about by accident I might just became sensitive about such things - if the "fair use" and it's understanding (also by wiki searching users) works for pictures also from other sources I'm fine with

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Mad Poster
#74 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 4:49 PM
How about making this thread a sticky coz this's an important thread that can lead readers or helpers to the wiki section?
Mad Poster
#75 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 5:33 PM
As all the community tutos are in the wiki why dont just replace the link for those, (not the mts because we need a place to put them).
And keep this thread to dicuss
What do you think ?

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 3 of 6