Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 6:42 AM
Default Plates
I have a default plate replacement for my modern hood, but I'm struggling to find one for my period hood, because the plates the nobility would eat off are very dissimilar to the ones the peasantry would use.

How do people with period hoods handle that?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 6:59 AM
I just use brown default plates for all. They blend in better than anything else. Some foods come with their own plates.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#3 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 8:51 AM
I used to use pewter plates - possibly too fancy for the peasants and not flash enough for the nobles, but it seems a reasonable compromise!

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Dec 2020 at 4:20 PM
I would search here and at medievel sims for default replacements to work with my TOT challenge or Pleasantview Epic Challenge both of which are in the 16th and 17th centuries in the colonial era of the new world as North America was called back then.
Alchemist
#5 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 12:46 AM Last edited by Phantomknight : 24th Dec 2020 at 7:46 AM.
I was thinking about this because even though I play a modern hood, I don't think my defaults really work for everyone. I have a default that puts plates CuriousB colors, but I thought it might be too loud for some families. I was toying around with the idea of making a default folder by lot/family, and switching them out when I play. It wouldn't be perfect, since the plates at restaurants would be whatever the current family's plates are, but I think that's the only way to do it. Besides picking one default for everyone, I mean.

It might be tedious to switch out before I play, but honestly, I'm in the habit of checking my folder before I play anyway, and it's rare nowadays that I load up the game and don't actually know who I'm going to play.

ETA: For you, Charity, if you have just two defaults, or maybe three--for royals, nobles, and then everyone else, etc--it might be easier to switch around when you play. Oh, and the restaurant thing would make more sense, too. Of course you'd serve royals on the very best silverware. You could make sure that your upper class sims only dine on certain lots, but I suppose you also could headcanon that someone who works for the royal family carries around silverware so that when his/her majesty travels, they never have to dine like a peasant.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Theorist
#6 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 7:46 AM
Strictly speaking, for medieval times there wouldn't be any restaurants anyway. The modern type of restaurants where you go just for eating and order from a full menue only date back to the late 18th century.
In Medieval times there'd be inns and taverns, but those would only be frequented by the lower classes. Nobles would only set foo tinto inns/taverns if they are travelling (or if they disguise themselves as commoners to mingle with them) and if a noble spent a night at an Inn on their travels they would indeed get the best room/plates/etc the Inn had and sepcifically saved for noble guests.

So the community lots having different plates for the noble households and 0easants would even make sense.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Dec 2020 at 4:05 PM
I remember someone working on a table with prelaid plates that hid the default plates, but I can't remember who or even if they finished it.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 8:26 PM
Look at Almighty Hat's default replacements. https://hat-plays-sims.dreamwidth.org/3191.html

Plates are in that set, but if you're doing any non-plastic period, look at all her work. I use her work very broadly even in modern hoods because I don't like plastic.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Alchemist
#9 Old 25th Dec 2020 at 9:55 PM
It should be possible to make a mod that allows the player to choose the plate's texture, so you could have a few different types at once. Or, maybe set it so that the plate checks household income and updates the texture accordingly.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 6:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
It should be possible to make a mod that allows the player to choose the plate's texture, so you could have a few different types at once. Or, maybe set it so that the plate checks household income and updates the texture accordingly.

Really? That would be amazing, but I wouldn't even know where to start.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 26th Dec 2020 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity

It could probably be done as part of the Traits project. http://www.medievalsims.com/forums/...p?f=101&t=10608

Use something like Hat's defaults as the standard texture, then customise the Init function of the plates to check if anyone in the household has noble or royal traits, and use Change Material to a gold or silver default if so.
Alchemist
#12 Old 29th Dec 2020 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Give me a couple days, and I'll have a mod to post in creator feedback.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 29th Dec 2020 at 11:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by @omglo
Give me a couple days, and I'll have a mod to post in creator feedback.

Make sure to toss the link to the post here, more visible.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#14 Old 1st Jan 2021 at 12:01 PM
My historical/fantasy hood has districts for different classes of sims, and I play my rotation by working my way from one street to another. I play my peasants in the farming district with a terracotta plate default in, then switch to something more colourful for the merchants and artisans, then something with an elegant pattern for the nobles when I get to the top of the hill. I try not to be too fussy about switching if I play families of different classes in one session, when I'd rather just play than close down and reload the game; maybe that farmer is eating a chunk of rough bread off a pretty floral plate that got chipped and was thrown out by the nobles.
Alchemist
#15 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by @joandsarah77
Make sure to toss the link to the post here, more visible.

Alright plate choice is up. @Charity.

https://modthesims.info/showthread....5&cb=1609711202