Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 1:13 AM Last edited by Numenor : 26th Feb 2007 at 3:19 PM. Reason: Templates NOW WORKING WITH PETS! Also, added No-Chimney templates!
Default CLONE Templates (UPD 26feb2007) - Fireplaces with / without chimneys, custom catalog description and working light
CLONE TEMPLATES - FIREPLACES with WORKING CHIMNEYS (or WITHOUT chimney), CUSTOM DESCRIPTION and WORKING LIGHT

25 FEB 2007 - Templates FIXED to work with PETS!
26 FEB 2007 - ADDED Templates WITHOUT chimneys
26 FEB 2007 - IMPROVED all templates: now with working ambient light!

------------------------------------------------------------
26 FEB 2007 - ADDED: Templates without chimneys. Build your own campfires, round fireplaces or open fireplaces using the new 1- and 2-tile templates! The chimney-less fireplaces are in catalog under BUY -> Appliance -> Misc, NOT in Build/Fireplaces!

26 FEB 2007 - IMPROVED: All templates. Now all the fireplaces have an ambient light that turns on and off along with the fire.

25 FEB 2007 - FIXED: all templates - There was a bug that prevented the custom catalog description to appear in Pets games, and also caused random "jump bugs".
Now these bugs should be gone, and the fireplaces created using these templates should work perfectly in any game, including PETS.
If you have already created some fireplaces using these templates, you can easily fix them following the instructions provided in POST #14

07 OCT 2006 - IMPROVED: all templates. Now your fireplaces can have a CUSTOM DESCRIPTION![/B]

04 OCT 2006 - ADDED: 1-tile fireplace with Maxis chimney

Why use a template? SimPE is a great program, but the fireplaces are just too complex to be cloned correctly. The resulting packages, if not manually corrected, and if not released with a proper TXT file to go with them, are known to cause several problems when installed into the game; in any case they cause a waste of resources.
The most common problems in custom fireplaces are:
  • The package contains one or more MMAT pointing to the original Maxis GUIDs and to the original Maxis CRES for the chimneys; as a consequence, when applying a recolour to the chimney, it may be not recolourable, the recolours are unstable, and some "flashing blue" recolours appear in the catalog.
  • The package contains a full "custom" mesh for all the chimney sections, but the creator has not edited those meshes; as a consequence, no visible damage are done, but nevertheless all those "custom" chimney, that look exactly like the Maxis ones, are a great waste of resources.
  • The package contains all the 12 Object Data for the chimney (each with its own registered GUID), while the chimney was not edited; again, this means waste of GUIDs and bigger packages.
  • The OBJD in the package were not renamed; as a consequence, the custom fireplace overrides a Maxis one.

With my ready-to-clone fireplaces templates, and the following instructions, you will be able to create your own fireplace (with or without working chimney) with the smallest effort and the most efficient usage of resources, because in the templates are included only the elements strictly needed for your custom fireplace.
Moreover, using these Templates, your fireplace will have its own custom catalog name and description, which is something that no other custom fireplace has
These templates will also give to your fireplaces a working ambient light.

What template(s) to choose?
The templates available from this thread are:
  • 2-tiles fireplace with Maxis red-brick chimney
  • 2-tiles fireplace with custom chimney (coming soon)
  • 2-tiles fireplace without chimney
  • 1-tile fireplace with Maxis white metal chimney
  • 1-tile fireplace with custom chimney (coming soon)
  • 1-tile fireplace without chimney
If you WANT a chimney, but you are NOT going to create a custom mesh for it (and so far I've not seen a single fireplace with a real custom chimney), then choose the ones with the "Maxis chimneys".
If you want your "fireplace" to have NO chimeny at all, so that you can put it in the middle of the room, or even outside, then choose the "NoChimney" templates.

HOW TO USE THE TEMPLATES WITH MAXIS CHIMNEYS
  1. Start SimPE (always use the latest version), start Object Workshop and click the "OPEN" button (*not* the "Start" one!).

2. Browse to the folder where you have unpacked the chosen template, and load .package file.

3. Select "Clone" and set the cloning option as shown below; then click "Start".

4. In the first window that pops up, fill in a custom descriptive name for your fireplace, a custom description and set the price.

5. When the Scenegraph Rename Wizard pops up, just click OK and save your package with any name you like, but don't include brackets in the filename!. This is very important, if you want your custom catalog description to work fine.

6. Open in turn all the OBJD and Register a new GUID for each of them, by clicking the link "Get GUID"; then click "Update" and then "Commit". Save your package.

7. IMPORTANT - You must assign to all the OBJD a custom, unique name, too: replace all the occurrences of [CustomName] with any name of your choice. Remember the custom name you have chosen: you'll need it later on.

8. Select the Text List 0xFF ("Fireplace info"); leave empty the first line; in the second line (i.e. line 0x0001) write the same descriptive name that you have used when cloning the template (if you have forgotten it, you can read it from the "Catalog Description" file); in the last line (line 0x0002), put a custom description of your choice. Please don't delete the last line, where the Enhanced Templates are mentioned: let the other creators know about the Templates and benefit from them, as you did.

9. Close SimPE (save the package! ) and go back to the folder where you have unpacked the template; you will find the file "NN_[CustomName].txt".
    First of all, rename the file itself: replace [CustomName] with the name you have chosen for your fireplace.

10. As for the "NN" value, this must be a unique number. The problem is that, unlike the GUID that have an official repository, the fireplaces numbers are not officially stored anywhere; therefore, you have just to pick a number that as far as you know it's not already taken.
    I know for sure that the numbers from 0 to 4 are already taken by the Maxis fireplaces; and numbers 9, 75 and 99 are taken by custom creators.
    There aren't many custom fireplaces around, but obviously I couldn't check all the sites...
    Anyway, the problem is not serious, considering that you can use any number up to 65535; in any case, you should advice the downloaders to check in their game if there is another fireplace with the same number and, in case, change the number by themselves.

11. Now open the .txt file; again, replace the "NN" with your unique number, in the first line ( do NOT change the last line: leave it set to "0").
    On the second line, replace the word PackageFilename with the exact name you have given to your package (esclude the extension .package): don't mistype it, or your custom description will not work (I suggest to copy & paste the filename into the TXT file).
    On the third line, replace [CustomName] with the unique name of your fireplace, the same that you have used for the Object Data.
    Save the text file.

The cloning process is over; you can now edit at will the mesh for the fireplace, and the texture(s). Please note that in the package there is a main texture for the fireplace mantle (that by the way is recolourable), and two more little textures related to the wooden logs and the metals supports (not recolourable). Usually, you don't need to edit or replace these two little textures, but anyway, if your fireplace requires it, you can freely modify them, too.

In order to use the custom fireplace in the game, it's strongly suggested to install the SCRIPTORIUM.
Install it, and tell to your downloaders to install it.
With the Scriptorium installed, it's easy to add the custom fireplace to the game, by copying the .package to the Downloads, and the TXT file to the "Scriptorium_Fireplaces" folder (also accessible from the Downloads).

HOW TO USE THE TEMPLATES WITH CUSTOM CHIMNEYS

(Coming soon)

HOW TO USE THE TEMPLATES WITHOUT CHIMNEYS
  1. Start SimPE (always use the latest version), start Object Workshop and click the "OPEN" button (*not* the "Start" one!).

2. Browse to the folder where you have unpacked the chosen template, and load .package file.

3. Select "Clone" and set the cloning option as shown below; then click "Start".

4. In the first window that pops up, fill in a custom descriptive name for your fireplace, a custom description and set the price.

5. When the Scenegraph Rename Wizard pops up, just click OK and save your package with any name you like, but don't include brackets in the filename!. This is very important, if you want your custom catalog description to work fine.

6. Open in turn all the OBJD and Register a new GUID for each of them, by clicking the link "Get GUID"; then click "Update" and then "Commit". Save your package.

7. There is NO NEED for an additional TXT file, with the "NoChimeny" templates. The fireplaces can be found in the Buy Mode catalog (not in the Build catalog!): BUY -> Appliances -> Misc.
    For this reason, the "NoChimney" fireplaces do NOT need the Scriptorium in order to be installed.

The cloning process is over; you can now edit at will the mesh for the fireplace, and the texture(s). Please note that in the package there is a main texture for the fireplace mantle (that by the way is recolourable), and two more little textures related to the wooden logs and the metals supports (not recolourable). Usually, you don't need to edit or replace these two little textures, but anyway, if your fireplace requires it, you can freely modify them, too.

TERMS OF USAGE OF THE TEMPLATES
Anyone can freely clone my Enhanced Templates to create his own objects, and can post his objects on any site.
It's only required to state that "the object is based on an Enhanced Template by Numenor", and post a link to this thread.
DO NOT REPOST OR REDISTRIBUITE THE TEMPLATES THEMSELVES!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Fireplace-2tiles_(MaxisChimney)_Template.zip (201.3 KB, 1688 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Fireplace-1tile_(MaxisChimney)_Template.zip (62.0 KB, 1311 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Fireplace-1tile_(NoChimney)_Template.zip (78.6 KB, 1464 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Fireplace-2tiles_(NoChimney)_Template.zip (201.4 KB, 1506 downloads) - View custom content

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
86 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 3:40 AM Last edited by Corsetcrush : 3rd Oct 2006 at 3:47 AM.
Oh Thank you Numenor!! I had been working on a fireplace mesh today in order to convert it from Sims 1 and I was simply not finding any helpful info. Finally I can have my favorite fireplace again! Many, many thanks!

~Corsetcrush

P.S. As for the "NN" is it restricted to a two digit number?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2006 at 8:47 AM Last edited by Numenor : 8th Oct 2006 at 2:12 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Corsetcrush
As for the "NN" is it restricted to a two digit number?

I don't think so, but I've never tried myself. I guess that those codes - though they are written in the TXT as decimal numbers - are stored in hex, anyway; a 2-digit hex number is max 255, a 4-digit hex is 65535...

No, I don't think that decimal 99 is the maximum allowed.

EDIT - Yes, any number up to 65535 is fine.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Oct 2006 at 12:56 AM
Added 1-tile fireplace with Maxis chimney

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Oct 2006 at 2:11 AM
Default Thread Update!
07 OCT 06 - Templates IMPROVED!
Now your fireplaces can have a CUSTOM DESCRIPTION!

Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 3:42 AM
Forgive me, I'm going to sound really stupid here, but I am *very* new to this and #6 confused me greatly.

6: Open in turn all the OBJD and Register a new GUID for each of them, by clicking the link "Get GUID"; then click "Update" and then "Commit". Save your package.

Where would I find "Turn all the OBJD?" I have an "open in" area under "file" but that says I can open it in the game and the expansion packs I have.

I'm clearly missing something... I just don't know what.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Oct 2006 at 8:07 AM
Perhaps my English just isn't clear or correct enough
I meant to "open" (by clicking on them, so to display the content in the Plugin View) "in turn" (one by one) all the OBJD.
There is no menu to select; just click on "Object Data (OBJD)" in the Resource Tree panel, so that all the OBJDs will appear in the Resource List. And then select the first OBJD, get a new GUID, then the second OBJD, get a new GUID, and so on.

Scholar
#8 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 10:57 PM
What can I do to delete my chiminey so there isn't one? I'm making a campfire and would like to delete the chimeny.

Call me Paco!
Rhymes with Taco

I'm currently taking requests until August 12th.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 11:11 AM
Hello.
I made Irori.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=220446

It is thanks to a splendid template.
Really thank you very much.

『しむら後ろ後ろ!』 Reica15
I thank the people who made Simpe and CEP.
I thank the people who wrote a tutorial of MTS.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 9:16 PM
Pacotacoplayer - I haven't tested, but this should work: in the TXT file included in the template, delete all the lines that contain the word "chimney", then edit the file as suggested in the tutorial. This should prevent the chimney to show up.
Nevertheless, the game will believe that the chimney is there, and won't allow you to place the fireplace if the upper floor has not a corresponding empty tile.
But if you plan to use this firecamp outdoors only, you should have no placing problems.

Reica15 - Wow! What a beautiful... Irori!

#11 Old 24th Feb 2007 at 10:14 PM
So i'm guessing i'm going to have to uninstall Pets for my template to work because my fireplace just shows up as no picture and you can't seem to place it into the world and it has NO custom descriptiona dn i followed the tutorial 100%, any ideas on what i should do.

AbstractSIMmer187 Has Retired From Sims 2 Creating
All Of My Creations Are Found Here
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 1:06 AM
Mmmh, yes, this template seems not to be compatible with Pets.

#13 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 9:15 AM
So is there anyway you can make it compatible with Pets?
I really don't want to uninstall my game and i'm so proud of my fireplace
If i have to remake my fireplace the old fashion way without the template its a working nightmare!

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 3:09 PM Last edited by Numenor : 25th Feb 2007 at 6:59 PM.
Default Thread Update
25 FEB 2007 - Templates FIXED to work with PETS!
There was a bug that prevented the custom catalog description to appear in Pets games, and also caused random "jump bugs".
Now these bugs should be gone, and the fireplaces created using these templates should work perfectly in any game, including PETS.
If you have already created some fireplaces using these templates, you can easily fix them following the instructions provided below.

• Open your fireplace and select "Text Lists (STR#)" from the Resource Tree, on the left.
  • On the right, there is one Text List named "Fireplace Info": select it.
  • Now select the "Resource" tab, below.
  • In the field "Instance", change 0x00000090 to 0x000000FF and click "Force Commit".
  • Save the package and close SimPE
  • Open the TXT file that goes with your fireplace.
  • In the line that starts with "catalogTextResource", change 144 to 255.
  • In the last line ("catalogTextIndex"), change the number to 0 (zero).
  • Save and close.
  • IMPORTANT: Be sure that the package filename does NOT contain any round brackets, nor any non-standard characters; the "minus" and the "underscore" are fine.

Test Subject
#15 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 6:40 PM
You know I could hug and sqeeze ya dont you? Thanks so much for this!
Huggles
Xio!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 25th Feb 2007 at 7:00 PM
I forgot one little point in my previous post:
  • In the last line ("catalogTextIndex"), change the number to 0 (zero).

I've updated my post, so to keep it complete.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 26th Feb 2007 at 3:24 PM
Default Thread Update
26 FEB 2007 - ADDED: Templates without chimneys. Build your own campfires, round fireplaces or open fireplaces using the new 1- and 2-tile templates! The chimney-less fireplaces are in catalog under BUY -> Appliance -> Misc, NOT in Build/Fireplaces!

26 FEB 2007 - IMPROVED: All templates. Now all the fireplaces have an ambient light that turns on and off along with the fire.

Lab Assistant
#18 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 10:11 AM
Hello.
Thank you very much.
I thank Numenor which is kindness very much(人-)

『しむら後ろ後ろ!』 Reica15
#19 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 5:55 PM
Thanks so much Numi you really are a blessing to all us creators and downloaders :D.

I personally prefer using the "No chimney' template mainly because um i don't like the chimneys that much and i was having to much trouble with the "Chimney" template anyway, when i upload my fireplaces i will put a link here so you can see them

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 27th Feb 2007 at 11:45 PM
Thanks, I appreciate that!

Reica has already posted the link to his Irori; I'm posting now the link to my brand new Streetfire in a trashcan.

Let's all showcase our fireplaces!

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 1st Mar 2007 at 2:04 AM
:lovestruc Oh! I watched a splendid thing now. At first I enjoy it at once.

『しむら後ろ後ろ!』 Reica15
Test Subject
#22 Old 15th May 2007 at 10:53 PM
Thank you Numenor! :D
Instructor
#23 Old 30th May 2007 at 5:25 PM Last edited by buggybooz : 3rd Jun 2007 at 4:32 PM.
Thank you so much for these templates. I've used the two tile template to make a three tile fireplace and hopefully I'll be able to upload it soon.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Jul 2007 at 12:56 AM
Default logs without color
Thank you very much for your templates. I tried the 1-tile templ. without chimney but my logs are always without a colour.
In your package is a texture for the mantle and the logs on the same texture
but there is no other texture.I had a look in the shape and there is the info that the logs need the fireplacehearthvalue_logswood texture. But the templ.package doesn´t include a second texture with this name.
my fireplace works fine with your template but the logs are always white .
what can I do?
Birgit
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#25 Old 19th Jul 2007 at 9:28 AM
The logs are white because the UV-map is misplaced. Remap the logs only, using as reference the original Maxis texture (fireplacehearthvalue-colors-white); and then reimport the logs into SimPe, replacing the existing ones.

Page 1 of 2