Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2014 at 12:40 AM
Default Help upgrading computer (specs attached)
Hi there folks.

I have a 4 year old computer that doesn't have any real problems, but it can't handle all expansion packs for TS3. My first questions is, should I upgrade a few components or do I need to scrap it and buy a new one? Second question, if I'm upgrading, would upgrading my graphics card be enough? My CPU is still mid-range, it's not the rockstar it was (to me) when I first got it but it's not bad.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

As for my computer specs, here are the juicy bits:
Mainboard: MSI 760GM-E51
CPU: AMD Phenom II 945 x4
GPU: GeForce GTS 250
Memory: 4GB DDR3
500 GB HD

For more details, I'm attaching dxdiag. But an Everest Home report could be more helpful, so I have attached that as well.

Thank you thank you thank you!
Attached files:
File Type: zip  DxDiag12-26-2014.zip (5.5 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip  Report.zip (3.8 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Dec 2014 at 3:51 AM
There's a sticker on the side of your power supply unit (inside your case) with a bunch of numbers on it. Can you take a picture of it and show us?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 5:25 AM Last edited by thatchick : 28th Dec 2014 at 5:46 AM.
Default Power supply
Here ya go! Thanks again.

P.S.
It's upside down. I meant to flip the image before I uploaded it. Sorry.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  IMG_6558.zip (1.58 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 6:41 AM
Upgrade to 8GB of RAM and upgrade your GPU to something like a GTX 750 Ti.

You already have 4GB, so if you're going to buy another 4GB then make sure its exactly the same speed as your existing stick. I'm writing from my phone right now but I'll tell you later exactly what speed to get.

For the GPU a GTX 750 Ti should be massively better than what you currently have. I can't find exact numbers but your card is very old so I'm thinking 300% - 400% better.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 7:55 AM
Ok. I have two sticks in there already, should I just add two more of 2gb each, or one of 4gb, or replace the 2x 2gb with 1x 4gb plus a second 4gb... or does it matter? Am I overthinking this?

And yes, my card is very old... but it got me this far, so hey, don't knock it!
Scholar
#6 Old 28th Dec 2014 at 11:25 AM
Oh you have two sticks already? In that case I would say get another 2 sticks of 2GB each. Usually it's better to only have two sticks. But buying a new set of 2x 4GB would cost about USD 70 while 2x 2GB would cost about USD 35.

There should be a sticker on the side of your RAM sticks, and if I could get a picture of that sticker that would be great. However you would need to disconnect them from your motherboard and then put them back afterwards. Make sure to turn off your computer completely before doing this.

For the GTX 750 Ti you have a couple of choices. I like the ASUS, GIGABYTE and MSI variants.

If you live in the United States, you can buy your GTX 750 Ti online from newegg.com, amazon.com, ncixus.com or tigerdirect.com
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 12:56 AM
Ok that's awesome. Here's a ram stick picture. Yes I'm in the U.S., me and newegg go way back...

You're the best! :D
Attached files:
File Type: zip  IMG_6590.zip (1.49 MB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#8 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 11:07 AM
I couldn't find exact matches to the RAM you already have. Here's a link on newegg.com to as close as I could find.

As far as I can tell you're looking at $36 for a close match. Then you'll have 4x 2GB.

However, if it were my money, I would just spend the extra $35 and get a new set of 2x 4GB. It's not really recommended to have mismatching RAM sticks because there's so many things to watch out for and I can't really guarantee that the sticks you have and the sticks you'll buy will work together.

If you spend $35 more you get the peace of mind that the sticks should work, and you get to keep the old sticks as backup.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Dec 2014 at 6:41 PM
I would definitely rather do 2x 4gb... But that brings up a new problem. (Well, not necessarily a problem, but an issue to be dealt with...) When I went to take a picture of the RAM, I noticed something I hadn't before -- when my awesome-but-huge CPU heat sink (with heat pipes) was installed, the fan went in right over the #1 RAM stick. There is barely room for the stick under it. I would have to take out the heat sink (and put it back in again), to get the #1 RAM stick out, and I really don't want to... But I could. I know it's not impossible, or even particularly hard, but I am afraid of damaging the CPU when I remove the heat sink, because I have zero experience with it.

Again, I know I can do it, I just would rather not. Check out the picture and let me know what you think is riskier -- taking out the heat sink to replace the RAM, or running the computer with 2 [slightly] different kinds of RAM. Or maybe you have a better idea. You know more than me.

If worse comes to worse, I can always guilt trip one of my buddies in IT to do it for me

P.S.
If you need a different picture, let me know. HAL-9000 is very photogenic.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  IMG_6610.zip (1.86 MB, 13 downloads) - View custom content
Scholar
#10 Old 30th Dec 2014 at 3:09 AM
In regards to the RAM and what they are, you can use the Crucial.com website's system scanner to find out what you have regarding the RAM and what's compatible with it. Here's the link to the webpage in particular:
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Scholar
#11 Old 30th Dec 2014 at 4:46 PM
Well... if you get 2x 4GB you'll have to remove the heatsink. I don't think there's an alternative. Also, between your CPU and your CPU heatsink there is thermal paste. Thermal paste helps transfer heat between the CPU and the CPU heatsink and is pretty much essential.

You may have to replace the paste. Usually you should replace it if you remove the heatsink (or if it solidifies). The procedure is routine for someone that's handy with computers, but can be tricky for newbies since it shouldn't be too thin and shouldn't be too thick.

If you can find an IT buddy to do it for you, that would be preferable. Otherwise I have no problem talking you through it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 7:47 AM
Ok so I took your advice and got this graphics card . When I get paid again I can get some RAM... Unfortunately my funds had to be redirected to my veterinarian.

Aaanyway... Thank you for all your help. You're the best! I may or may not need help when I get the RAM. I'll let you know
Scholar
#13 Old 4th Jan 2015 at 3:16 PM
Awesome, let me know how you like it once it's installed! Let me know how much of a difference it makes! It should be silent too, so if you're hearing a whining noise that means its defective you should return it (it happens).