Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 2:32 PM
Default Apartment Error I cannot resolve
I have spent days building this apartment but every time I entered the lot zoning cheat, it says I need to change lot architecture. I cannot see anything wrong looking at any guidelines I can find, and I've never had this issue before when building apartments. I am definitely using the right doors and there are no passages I can see between apartments. I did have balconies for most apartments, but I removed all access to them in a desperate attempt to make it work, though there was only access to them through select apartments. I am at a loss as what to do.

I don't know if there is anywhere I can upload the package for people to look at, so if that is an option please let me know! I've never posted in any forums before.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Instructor
#3 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:22 PM
Likely some sort of access issue. Seconding the request for floorplan images to investigate
Inventor
#4 Old 6th Dec 2020 at 2:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gould98
I have spent days building this apartment but every time I entered the lot zoning cheat, it says I need to change lot architecture. I cannot see anything wrong looking at any guidelines I can find, and I've never had this issue before when building apartments. I am definitely using the right doors and there are no passages I can see between apartments. I did have balconies for most apartments, but I removed all access to them in a desperate attempt to make it work, though there was only access to them through select apartments. I am at a loss as what to do.

I don't know if there is anywhere I can upload the package for people to look at, so if that is an option please let me know! I've never posted in any forums before.

I have just discovered the same issue and it has never happened to me previously.
On occasion perhaps one of the apartments was not fully enclosed but I was able to fix; but this is different as not any of them are registering to be rented.

There is no custom content except for two wallpapers I created using Homecrafter plus.
I also generated a new EA Game folder as this was to be my first attempt at uploading a lot to MTS to avoid any corruption of files.
I started building this last week so has never been occupied (never got that far to be able to ). I changed the roof and gave each town house a separate roof; I moved stairs as two of the stairs were sharing a wall.
I have attached the ground floor plan: -

Is it because I am not using spiral stairs?
Any help would be most welcome.
Thank you in advance!
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#5 Old 6th Dec 2020 at 7:15 PM
Those stairs work fine, it's stages that cause issues.  Did you use the invisible fence in back to enclose the back yard?  You cannot just have a backyard when on a foundation without tricking the game into thinking it's enclosed.
Inventor
#6 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 7:41 AM Last edited by Ladysimplayer8 : 7th Dec 2020 at 8:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Those stairs work fine, it's stages that cause issues.  Did you use the invisible fence in back to enclose the back yard?  You cannot just have a backyard when on a foundation without tricking the game into thinking it's enclosed.

Hello HugeLunatic,
Thank you for your reply.
I have replaced the wooden fence with the invisible fence...but still the same error message.
All fences have been enclosed - at first I had used a black fence (modern unsure of name) then opted for this wooden fence as used in apartment lots built by Maxis.
How do I trick it?
I could opt to make to make the backyards a decking area as an alternative.

Ladysimplayer8
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 9:25 AM
Probably the stages breaking it.
https://www.simfansuk.com/wp/buildi...ivate-backyard/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 9:46 AM
I can't see the images in that thread Jo- is it just me? Here's an image from the Wiki that might help.

Niol's invisible fence is good for this also, it is meshless.
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=219292
Inventor
#9 Old 7th Dec 2020 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I can't see the images in that thread Jo- is it just me? Here's an image from the Wiki that might help.

Niol's invisible fence is good for this also, it is meshless.
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=219292

Thank you for this and the simple guidance of how to achieve it.
Earlier today I tried just making a decking area and surprisingly when I change the lot from residential to apartment base it worked and I have apartments to let (albeit $4000 per week!)
Now I know what the building issue is, I am currently changing the apartments back to the way I had them originally before changing roofs, some stairs etc.
With this new info guidance, I will also be having my small back garden - just the way I wanted it to be.