Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#76 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 4:26 PM
The 840 EVO is good as well. As for installation... I don't remember what they write exactly in the dialog box, but Custom Installation sounds right. Look for the option where you specify the install directory.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#77 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:09 PM
So, as a quick checklist, the ones I'll install inside the SSD is the OS, a couple of softwares (Photoshop, HitFilm, Origin, Steam, GoG) and most of the games, right (with TS2 to be installed on the HDD as per your suggestion)?

The Random Simming (Mis)Adventures: A Simblr.

Currently playing Generation Two of the Senna Legacy Currently on a hiatus.

My current and former system specs and game settings can be found here. CC, mods and Store items are listed here.
Scholar
#78 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:14 PM
Which games do you play from Origin, and Gog?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#79 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:19 PM
Origin: Collector's Edition of TS4 (it was a disc-and-online installation)
GoG: Beyond Good & Evil
Steam: Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2, Skyrim
Disc: the entire TS2, TS3 and The Sims Medieval series

My current and former system specs and game settings can be found here. CC, mods and Store items are listed here.
Scholar
#80 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
You can install Beyond Good & Evil on the traditional HDD because I don't think the load times are long to begin with.

L4D2 on the SSD for sure. Portal 1 & 2 on the SSd only if you play them often. Skyrim on SSD.

TS3 on the SSD, TS2 & Medieval on the SSD if you still have room left after the previously mentioned...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#81 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 5:32 PM
TS4 on the SSD, too? And also anti-virus (Kaspersky Internet Security), Photoshop and HitFilm?

I might end up getting a 250GB SSD just to be sure with the free space. The rest of my software's going to the HDD.

Scholar
#82 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:27 PM
I think TS4 too... I haven't played it myself yet though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#83 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 7:53 PM
IMO, it's good. Takes time getting used to the entire game but I couldn't appreciate the graphics for now due to the integrated card on the lowest settings possible. Games crash to blue screen and restart if I set the graphics to medium or higher

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#84 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 9:58 AM
New parts list!

Changed the 750W Thermaltake PSU to a 600W Silverstone, changed the WD Black back to Green and the 128GB Samsung 840 EVO to a 250GB, added the SteelSeries TS4 mouse and headset and changed to a keyboard-only Logitech set.

Scholar
#85 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 10:09 AM
Sounds good
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#86 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:00 AM
That's great to know! Thank you so much! :D

Now we'll just have to wait for December (boo!) to get the full build, have the drivers updated, install the softwares on their respective drives and run the tests you told me about six months ago.

Scholar
#87 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:20 AM
New Nvidia cards were released this week, so the old ones like the one in your build got price drops

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles...a_price_drops/1
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#88 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 11:33 AM
I did just notice on my price sheet. It was priced around 15 grand plus when I first inquired for it, it's now 13,500 (but it may have or not have included the 1% for the 1-year credit card payment).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#89 Old 23rd Oct 2014 at 6:04 PM Last edited by karnzter : 24th Oct 2014 at 6:26 AM.
Some news.

Decided to do a quick peek at my parts list on pcpartpicker and now it says that the parts are compatible, but found a compatibility note that said this: 'Some Intel B85 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs'.

That wasn't there when I last checked. Should I change the motherboard to one that's compatible with the i5 4590? Maybe one that doesn't have the B85 chipset. I don't mind if its the higher mid-end or the really high-end kind.

One more thing: Interpace only has the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB aside from the 128GB. They don't have Crucial.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#90 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 10:41 AM
I just checked Intel's website for the processor and it says thet it was released Q2 of this year. Looks like it's a new version than before.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#91 Old 24th Oct 2014 at 11:02 AM Last edited by karnzter : 24th Oct 2014 at 2:44 PM.
Here are some non-B85 chipset motherboards that I found awhile ago and they all have 4K support.

These were the only ones available and compatible with the processor according to pcpartpicker. I'm not sure with the monitor and the PSU so looks like we'll have to change them it if it's incompatible.

ASUS Z97-K
ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac)
ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark 1
ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero
ASUS Z97-A
ASUS H97M-Plus
ASUS H97M-E
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H
Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 5

Scholar
#92 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 4:33 AM
Get any of the H97 motherboards. The PSU will definitely be compatible. For the monitor just check the back of your monitor to see what kind of connections it has, and check the motherboard to see if it has atleast one of those. Normally you would connect to the monitor to the GPU and not the motherboard, but it's still good as a backup.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#93 Old 25th Oct 2014 at 1:56 PM Last edited by karnzter : 25th Oct 2014 at 2:27 PM.
Okay, then. Thanks. The only conflict I now have is which of either the H97M-PLUS and the H97M-E should I get. I've been checking Newegg and Amazon (as of now) for a couple of reviews and they're mostly divided (the H97M-E with higher reviews on Newegg while the H97M-PLUS on Amazon).

And another thing. Josh reminded me that their GTX 760 only has one last stock. Just in case, I decided to get the GTX 770 if ever the 760's out of stock.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#94 Old 31st Oct 2014 at 3:44 AM
I tried asking some help regarding which ASUS H97 motherboard I should get on Yahoo! Answers but I still didn't get a single reply

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#95 Old 5th Nov 2014 at 5:02 PM
Good news: I may get the build before Christmas Eve! *happy dance*

Also, I decided to get the H97M-PLUS for the motherboard. Is it a good choice?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#96 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 2:30 PM
A quick update.

Josh suggested that I should change the case to make sure that we can occupy the CPU cooler, GPU, board and the other hardwares and to get enough room for all of them. So I'm reconsidering the Silverstone PS10B since it's bigger than the Redline.

So far, everything's still compatible.
H97M-PLUS, PS10B and GTX 770 build
H97M-PLUS, PS10B and GTX 760 build

I might change the GPU from the 770 to the 760 since there's a possibility that the total build could get very expensive (my guess around 7,800-8,000+ plus the 1% interest a month for a year) since I heard that a 700W UPS is really really expensive. I'm waiting for news from Josh regarding its price.

Tentative date to get and pay the build: December 9. :D

Scholar
#97 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 4:31 PM
Right on time for Christmas

No matter which option you choose you'll have a very nice system.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#98 Old 17th Nov 2014 at 5:35 PM
Perfect timing actually since I might try toying about with Source Filmmaker during the holidays :D

The only things I'll be worrying about for now are the UPS' price and if my current desktop table can handle a lot of weight from the CPU alone xD

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#99 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 5:34 PM Last edited by karnzter : 18th Nov 2014 at 5:57 PM.
I was Googling regarding the 700W PSU needing a 700W UPS and stumbled on this page from Super User. Then , I found this post from Tom's Hardware.

Reading the post from Tom's Hardware, maybe a 500va (300W) UPS is suited for a 700W PSU. Should I go with the 500VA/300W UPS instead of waiting for an expensive 700W one?

Scholar
#100 Old 18th Nov 2014 at 6:24 PM
Isn't your PSU 600W?

Page 4 of 5