Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Jun 2013 at 7:55 AM Last edited by 2lalaland : 6th Jun 2013 at 5:46 PM.
Default Windows Update Screen Resolution...now it's my turn?!
What on earth? I got a Windows 7 automatic update yesterday & now my screen resolution is off not only in game but Body Shop too. I thought I was losing my mind in Body Shop as textures all of a sudden are coming out blurry when the day before they were just fine. Some old textures are OK but some are blurry?! Before googling this situation, I deleted all the thumbnails & it helped quite a bit but it's still not 100% in Body Shop. I started to go in game to see what that was like & now I only have the choice of 800 x 600 resolution. The same problem people were having months ago is now happening to me.

The weirdest part about this is that I thought I screwed up using the wrong textures in a body mesh switch but that wasn't the case. I remade the exact same textures over the exact same meshes & they came out a heck of a lot clearer, still not 100% but better. I have automatic updates on & had Body Shop open at the time it rebooted, do you think that could have effected it? I went back 2 restore points to be sure & nothing changed the way Body Shop nor the game's resolutions is working I'm new to Windows 7 (although 8 is now out, LOL!) I assume the restore points would work the same & if it was an update, the restore would have corrected it?

I would just love for someone to confirm this is the process I need to go thru before I screw anything up. I would have posted on these threads but they were too old.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=497599

The only other thing I can think of is AVG. I can not do anything in SimPE while AVG is running. I have lost several files trying to change stuff. It wasn't always like that. They made an update about 6 months ago that has drastically changed the way my computer performs doing sim stuff. It's like it locks up the files or something? There have been a bunch more updates since but nothing like it once was. Since I have lost files like that, I shut off my automatic virus scanner when I'm doing anything in SimPE or Body Shop. That day I must of been getting a cup of coffee & didn't see it start & made a bunch of outfits? You can see the degradation of the texture quality the more I made. Weird though is that as I was making them, they appeared normal. I don't know if AVG could have an impact on corrupted files for starting my game though? The restore point should have eliminated that idea right?

Edit Update: I followed the procedure in changing my resolution as per the above link, changed the graphics sgr file, and now my game's resolution works. I am still having major trouble with Body Shop though. No matter what I clone, upon importation of the outfit turns blurry? In game, all new outfits created in Body Shop are black?! Like super dark shadows. What the heck is going on? This is absolutely nuts!

Edit Update 2: I hope I can help someone else out here. This is absolutely nuts! I finally got everything working again I had to change 2 Graphics Rules.sgr files to get back to normal. Under the regular Config folder to change the resolution of the game & under the CSConfig folder to change what was happening in Body Shop. Thank goodness to celebkiriedhel :lovestruc Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Adding the line in the CSConfig sgr of the seti textureMemory fixed the problem in Body Shop I also tested in game & the new textures I created today are normal again. The ones I made yesterday are still black. It won't fix any outfits you've made while you were having this problem. All old outfits that I made prior to this problem appear to be normal as well.

I have a AMD 6800 just like kiri... Odd is why this all of a sudden happened to me now? All those updates listed were critical so it wasn't like I could not update them. Hope this helps anyone else out.
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Jun 2013 at 9:23 PM
Don't let Windows update upgrade your video card drivers. Only let it update Windows OS and Office OS. You can go into Control Panel, Programs and roll back/remove the video card update that messed you up in the first place.

If you bought the video card yourself, go to your video card manufacturer's site and download the correct drivers for your video card. Always use the manufacturer's drivers.

If you purchased a prebuilt system from HP or Dell , etc. Go to their technical support site and put in your build number to find out which video card you have and get the driver from their site. that way you'll have the correct driver for your chipset.

AVG and other antivirus programs have nothing to do with your video card resolution.

Here's a tip for the future. BEFORE you install new software or updates, make a restore point. Whenever you install a piece of software or an update and it all goes whacky, just roll it back.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jun 2013 at 3:01 AM
I am sorry but you are way late. This has already been worked out. Not 1 update involved anything to do with my video card nor it's drivers. Read the link in the post above to better understand what happened.

I built my own computer. I am well aware of where to get all my drivers & updates.

Thanks for the tip, but that is how I WAS able to go back to 2 restore points within 2 days