Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 9:27 PM
Default Place stairs on top of each other?
Hey guys!

I wanted to build my moms house in sims3 today, but I got a little problem... In my mothers house, the stairs are, let's say, on top of each other. When I tried this in sims3, it turned out to be impossible... Does anyone know if there's some way to make this possible?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kiriande.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 12:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Kiriande
Hey guys!

I wanted to build my moms house in sims3 today, but I got a little problem... In my mothers house, the stairs are, let's say, on top of each other. When I tried this in sims3, it turned out to be impossible... Does anyone know if there's some way to make this possible?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kiriande.

If you are referring to when stairs stack for multiple levels like in an apartment, this is possible without any cheats in the Sims 3:

What you may be having problems with is any objects such as lights where the second staircase is placed. If you built the top-most staircase first, you will have to remove the wall behind the staircase.

You should also be able to stack spiral stairs. Now if your talking L-shaped stairs, this is a lot more tricky and will require the constrainfloorelevation false cheat.

Hope this helps.
Screenshots

Sorry for my poor English, I'm American
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 7:50 AM Last edited by Kiriande : 30th Apr 2012 at 8:04 AM.
This is exactly what I meant, thank you

EDIT: Tried it again, removed everything, including walls, that might be in the way, but it still doesn't work... I can't even make the top stairs stand on the lower stairs at all (when I try to move it into place, it just turns or something).
I tried to make a screenshot, but apparantly my laptop hates me, because I only get a black picture...
Forum Resident
#4 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 10:04 AM
try knocking out all the stairs and installing from the top down, also use the < and > keys to rotate stairs into place. They're fussy, but it can be done.
Test Subject
#5 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 4:31 PM
Another problem could be the use of stages. If you are trying to land the top-most stair on a stage, you must have 2 tiles of staging (one in front of it and another below) that will not allow for stairs to go underneath:

As far as I know, there is no solution to this, but moving the lower stairs a tile forward or removing the stage at the bottom of the top-most staircase.

Other than this, I cannot guess what the problem except for a technical issue (game bug).
Screenshots

Sorry for my poor English, I'm American
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 6:23 PM
I also tried from the top down, but that didn't work either...

d_unit, do you just mean I have to put tiles where I place the stairs? Because I put tiles in the entire house before I started, so that won't be the problem...
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#7 Old 30th Apr 2012 at 8:18 PM
Are you patched up to date? I do remember very early on in the game stacking stairs didn't work, then it seemed to get fixed.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd May 2012 at 1:08 PM
That might be the problem... Thanks
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd May 2012 at 7:27 PM
Also, they fixed it in one patch then broke it in another... I lose track!

The issue has always been that stairs will not stack in a certain orientation relative to the world's axes.

So, if you build a house with stacked stairs that work you will find that they don't work if you rotate the lot by 90 degrees.

This is possibly why some people can make it work and some cannot, or why you may have it working in one lot but not another.

I had some stacked stairs in a world I built that broke with a game patch, but if I moved the lot to another location they worked fine.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2012 at 2:56 PM
That also could be the problem... I didn't have time yet to check my version or to update, because I've got an exam in 1 week and 4 others in 3 weeks, and I really want to prepare properly for them, but I'll let you know if updating or changing position helped as soon as I tried!