Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:32 PM
Default DVD-ROM drive screaming bloody murder - Help?
Today I was playing TS2 and then I started hearing a screaming sound. Taking out my ear-buds, I noticed that my portable USB DVD-ROM drive was screaming bloody murder. (Read - a srrrrreeeeeecccchhhhiiiinnnngggg sound, almost like a firecracker)There was also a funny smell coming off of it. I exited the game, and opened up my drive, and found that everything was Ok. My Seasons disk is fine, and there is nothing wrong with the drive (on the outside).

This has never happened before to me, and I have never heard of this happening. Does anyone know what can be causing this? I tried :google: and never found this problem, so I came to the people who know what they are doing. Help?

Thanks,
123blissb

"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert Heinlein
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 12th Aug 2011 at 10:35 PM
Does this just happen with the TS2 disk, or other disks too?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 12:17 AM
its fine. Mine does that too. But if when you open the tray and the disk is still spinning i would suggest a replacement so it dont ruin your disks.

When you see a fallen officer... HELP HIM/HER UP. Or suffer the wrath of thors hammer! GRRRRR
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 12:31 AM
Not necessarily. Noises like that can indicate a problem with the disk (which may lead to a broken DVD drive), or a problem with the drive (which can be innocuous, yes, or can be severe).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.