Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Mar 2011 at 10:15 PM
The Sims 3 Screen Tearing Info - Windows 7 64-Bit
Hello all,
I have made this thread to give the community some information regarding screen tearing in TS3 whilst using Windows 7 64-bit.

I have a high spec PC and can run games such as Crysis on max settings perfectly. When it comes to the casual Sims 3 games screen tearing/choppiness is significant when camera panning.

This can usually be fixed by enabling 'vsync/vertical refresh' through your graphics card software or the game menu itself. Note that in TS3 there is no in-game option to do this so it so it must be done through the graphics card software. I have an ATI GPU so I use Catalyst Control Center.

I have been chatting for a while with the EA support team and this is the key information given:

Rolf: Unfortunately the game is not tested on Windows 7 64 bit environment. There is a work around that you can try but still there is no guarantee about it. You can try to run the game as administrator, to run the game as administrator:

1. Right-click on the shortcut icon of the game on your desktop.
2. Choose the option "Run as Administrator".
3. Choose to allow the game.

If the game still not runs properly, Please try to play it in Compatibility mode. Please visit the following link for the steps to play the game in compatibility mode:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorial...ility-mode.html

So basically this shows that EA treats 64-bit Windows users in a second class manner, selling a product they KNOW is likely to cause issues! An absolute disgrace in my opinion. I asked that he submit my resulting complaints to higher places within EA though it’s unlikely it will get there of course. Though the more people that complain the better!!

I have yet to try the above suggestion but will soon. I hope there are still ways to fix this problem, and if anyone does know then please contribute.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Mar 2011 at 2:58 AM
I have now decided to uninstall Catalyst Control Center (the graphics card software) and have just kept the necessary drivers. I have noticed a slight improvement after doing this; though still not perfect, it might be worth giving this a go if you have an ATI GPU. My GPU is the Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 2GB Vapor-X.

I was also having problems where the trees would all become blocky and down right weird if I turned on 'Edge Smoothing/Anti-aliasing' in the Sim 3 game menu. Since uninstalling CCC this problem atleast has thankfully gone!
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Mar 2011 at 8:18 PM
Actually, it works perfectly fine with 64 bit and running in compatibility mode is entirely unnecessary. EA just is clueless about their own games and like to throw random excuses when they can't figure out why something isn't working properly.

I don't know why you're having the lag while moving your camera but the 64 bit OS isn't the reason.

Please try this guide to rule out a game problem vs. computer problem: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...:Game%20Problem