Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 12:00 AM
Default "Hardware malfunction"
CPU: Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80ghz (2 CPUs)
RAM:2558 MB
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT
MANUFACTURER/MODEL: Dell Dimension 5100

I have just installed a new power suppy:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...roduct_id=15690

along with a brand new nvidia 9800 graphics card.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...x_ya_oh_product

I installed both myself following the manuals and everything seemed to be going very well until I played TS3. At first it was fine and then randomly restarted after a few minutes. It then wouldnt let me back into the game so I uninstalled and reinstalled TS3.

It then let me back into the game for about 15 minutes running like a dream and then the screen went blue and said "hardware malfunction".

Is it likely that this is caused by me missing something when I installed it?
As ever thank you all for all your help.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 3:35 AM
If you installed a graphics card for the first time you need to go into your BIOS and disable onboard graphics. If you replaced a graphics card, then maybe you forgot to get rid of old drivers first. Try running this: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/d...cleaner_pro.cfm Then restart your computer. Install these: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_186.18_whql.html Restart again.

Let us know if you still need more help.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 5:51 PM
Thank you Callistra!
I followed your advice and I hadn't removed my previous drivers but ... it let me play for 30 mins and then randomly restarted my computer. I read a thread with a similar problem. Do you think heating could also be a problem? Both my video card and new psu have fans.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 7:41 PM
It could be several things - to give us an idea of your temps, run this program while you try to play. Wait as long as you think you safely can without your computer restarting, and then take a screenshot of the program to post here.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 10:55 PM
I downloaded that program but it only appears like this when I run it:

Doesnt seem to be enough info :S Have I downloaded it wrong?
Thank you all again!
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jul 2009 at 11:58 PM
No. Dell intentionally left heat sensors off their motherboards. That's all that will show.

Load the program -first-. Leave it running while you play the game as long as you can, ideally at least 20minutes, and then take a screencap.

You can also try reseating the card. Pull it out, blow out the socket with some compressed air if you have it and clean the gold contacts with some rubbing alcohol (NO OIL FILLER and 99% preferable), then put it back in. Also remove the 6 pin power supply put and plug it back in. Sometimes things just don't get seated quite right.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Dell intentionally left heat sensors off their motherboards.

:/ Why??

shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 12:42 AM
Well there's been quite a discussion of that and a lot of speculation, but I'm not sure there's any definitive answer. Some believe that Dell doesn't want people to know how hot their CPUs and motherboards are getting in some models. Indeed, some models have really exceptionally crappy airflow/design and even use low quality small passive heatsinks that definitely lead themselves towards heating issues. Other people speculate that it's just another way Dell cuts costs/corners.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 1:32 AM
I pulled out and replaced the card and the 6 pin connector but I dont have any rubbing alcohol or compressed air so I could only put it back as it was.

I managed to play the game for 20 minutes. This is the temps after 5 minutes:

And after 20 minutes:

It has been saying "hardware malfunction" again. Would it be safe for me to attempt to uninstall and reinstall the drivers using the method you gave me above to remove old drivers? Im not convinced Ive done it all properly.
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 2:20 AM
You're not overheating. Temps aren't very good but don't think that's the cause of your problems. Make sure there is no card in the pci slot directly above and below the 9800gt. Also leave the pci slot cover off the slot directly below it. Should drop temps a few degrees.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall everything that says ATI or Nvidia. Restart. Then use the program and again. Restart. Install Nvidia drivers. Restart.

You may have also just gotten really unlucky and been sent a bad card. It happens.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 1:01 PM
I hope it isnt the latter!! I just have a couple of questions before I run the program again:
1) The Readme says "5. Navigate to device manager->display adapter->uninstall and/or remove ATI display adapter but do not reboot". Where do I find device manager?
2) When I run driver cleaner it comes up with a drop down menu with various options. I chose "ATI" last time but there are various other options which have ATI in the title. Am I using the right one?

I just want to make totally sure Im doing it right before I have to conclude that my card is faulty
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 4:55 PM
Device Manager is under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 5:51 PM
Thank you whiterider!
shiny!
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Jul 2009 at 9:20 PM
Make sure to get rid of everything in add/remove programs first. Then do the program.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 16th Jul 2009 at 8:13 AM
But which filter do I use when I run the program? Thats the only part I'm not sure about.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
No. Dell intentionally left heat sensors off their motherboards. That's all that will show.

Ooh, thanks for this. I have a Dell Optiplex GX520 and I never knew this until just now.

This does sound to me like a video card issue.
If the card is faulty, you wouldn't even have a display; OR you would have a garbled display (scanlines, faded colours, et cetera).
shiny!
retired moderator
#17 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 8:25 PM
Uninstall anything to do with ATI and Nvidia.

That's not true at all. A card can still display a picture and be defective.. It can even not have artifacts (assume that's what you're talking about) and still have problems. Those are just two possible symptoms of a defective card. BSOD and computer restarts can absolutely be caused by graphics problems. Since this is new the problem is either due to drivers, the card itself or the power supply. Any one of these three can be the cause.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 1:14 PM
Ive uninstalled and reinstalled twice now and no luck! A friend who works with computer programming has also had a look and said I've installed it fine which has put my mind at rest. The only thing I can guess is that the card is faulty ..

Thank you all for your help.
shiny!
retired moderator
#19 Old 22nd Jul 2009 at 3:20 PM
Could also be the power supply. Sorry for your bad luck Hope you can get it fixed soon!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 8:47 AM
Thank you callistra. I think I'm going to put it into a local computer repair shop and see if they can make anything of it. Fingers crossed!
shiny!
retired moderator
#21 Old 23rd Jul 2009 at 1:56 PM
If they offer free diagnostics they can at least tell you which is bad and save you some RMA time. Good luck!