Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 11:32 PM
Default Mac
hey guys i have an imac, 24" aluminum... bascially the best imac, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme
2GB memory
500GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory.
I havent played the sims because im not buying the mac versions (waste money buying the same game again) and i dont have a copy of windows.

Im just wondering if its a good pc to play any new games comming out , when i eventually get a copy of windows so i can boot up windows and play.

anyone have this imac, can you tell me how the gaming is?

by the way mac os x rocks, just wish they had more games.

~~~~
Im going to start college in late next year, probably going to major in computer art (3d animation and stuff) in an art school, just wondering if i should stick with mac and upgrade next year to the expensive but beautiful Mac Pro or go to windows and get a top of the line gaming pc.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 14th Feb 2008 at 11:44 PM
Macs are not good to play new demanding games on, no. First of all you will have to HAVE a copy of Windows to install using bootcamp (or purchase another program which will let you run Windows on a Mac). Even then you will not get the same performance on a Mac as you would a computer designed to run Windows with the same specs. In addition to just raw performance, Macs do not deal well with heat and you are likely to have problems due to overheating the machine. Plus that card (ATI 2600) isn't that great.. the 7600GT actually outperforms it so if you're looking at playing like Crysis or whatever I think you will not be very pleased at how it plays. You will certainly have to turn your settings way down.

Macs excel at some things but gaming is not one of them. Your 3d art and animation stuff perfect for the Mac however... photoshop, video editing etc. Macs are made for that kind of stuff. It's perfect for your chosen major.. seems that should be more important for you at this point in your life, no? If you want to play Crysis and things take a look at some Sager notebooks.. Where are you located? Assuming you are in the US:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5792...?wconfigure=yes

WUXGA
T9300
8800 GTX
2GB
Choose orange or silver trim color
200gb 7200rpm
XP Home (maybe pro if you need it to get on the network at college..)
Standard with 1 year parts and 3 year labor warranty. lifetime 24/7 tech support
$2517.00/$2441.49 Cash discount
Add 3 year parts and labor warranty comes to $2714.00/$2632.58

Now that's a computer which will handle newer demanding games well, and last you a while too. I suggested the WUXGA screen because it's superier to the WSXGA and obviously for your graphics stuff a good screen is important.

The Macbook pro at least has a better graphics card.. the 8600GT, okay to play most games on at least medium settings. But again.. performance reduction through bootcamp and overheating issues are a concern.
Test Subject
#3 Old 22nd May 2008 at 12:39 PM
Well i have an iMac 24 inch and the sims 2 works perfectly on it. If you're after a Mac Pro I say go for it, it will be more than enough grunt to run The sims 2 on high graphics settings.
#4 Old 22nd May 2008 at 10:44 PM
I have a Mac laptop, not a pro either. The Sims 2 works fine, I just can't keep the graphics that high but I don't mind.
shiny!
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd May 2008 at 11:38 PM
Please do not bump old threads. This thread is more than three months old...

Closing