Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 2:03 PM
Default Question re: info transfer from one computer to another
So I received a new computer for Christmas now I want to move things from one (actually 2 other) computers to this new one. What would be the best way to do this? Most of the things I want to transfer from the other computers are my sims DL files (extremely huge file btw) and some other documents. I could do the DVR discs but that would require quite a few. I could do that USB thingy (sorry can't recall name of it this early in the monring without enough caffiene in my system yet). I have a brand new external hard drive (still in box - 250GB) but I'm not sure I can use it to bring the info from the other computers to this one. Any advice would be great...I just don't get these things even after reading instructions. BTW...the other 2 computers are running XP and this new one is running Vista. I guess this is what happens when you don't grow up in a technological society as my own children are...confusion! Anyways I'd greatly appreciate any advice.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 2:31 PM
Use the external HDD.

I know you are not sure about it, but I am very certain.
You don't need to read the instruction I think.
I had an external HDD, and I didn't use any driver or program on the CD.
All I did was to plug in the HDD, then create a partition in NTFS, and last format the drive.

Live for today, learn from yesterday, and dream of tomorrow.
A being under construction -- Even so, come.
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Dec 2007 at 3:09 PM
Just realize you can only transfer stand-alone files via a hdd (your music, videos, ms office documents, sim files, etc). You're still going to have to reinstall any programs you want. And if you're going to transfer your sim files you should make sure the drive is NTFS formatted (not FAT32). When I got my first external HDD I didn't even think to check this and it took a wise person on here to help me out after a lot of headache LOL Learn from my mistake :D
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
Just realize you can only transfer stand-alone files via a hdd (your music, videos, ms office documents, sim files, etc). You're still going to have to reinstall any programs you want. Learn from my mistake :D

Go into program files, copy the folder with the name of the program you want to move. Go into program files on the new PC and paste it in. I was able to move some of my programs when I got a new PC, but they won't all be able to migrate in this way. TS2 wont, lol.
Theorist
#5 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 1:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by xacimo
Go into program files, copy the folder with the name of the program you want to move. Go into program files on the new PC and paste it in. I was able to move some of my programs when I got a new PC, but they won't all be able to migrate in this way. TS2 wont, lol.

You can't do that because most softwares installation don't only dump files to your Program Files but also write some registry keys
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 1:50 AM
Yeah, indeed MOST programs simply won't work that way. Better to just reinstall those programs - especially since it's a totally new operating system, too. Using the external definitely sounds like the way to go..

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.