Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Nov 2020 at 8:06 PM
Default Need help making a body preset
I've been trying to learn how to make a body preset and so far I've gotten the basics down, but the few tutorials out there were very bare bones and/or outdated and now I'm stuck on a couple of issues.

First off, I figured out how to edit a vanilla mesh and get it to work in game, but I found a couple of very nice presets online that I would like to make personal tweaks to (which is fine according to the TOU of these artists). The problem is that when I try to extract the .obj files from the .package files, all I get is a bunch of .bnry files which I have no idea how to use. I haven't been able to find any information on google about this sort of problem, and my brain is too dead right now to keep trying.

Secondly, while this isn't super essential, I've been hard pressed to figure out how to apply textures to the mesh I'm attempting to edit in Blender. This issue is somewhat compounded with the previous one since I can't seem to extract image files from .package files either to test this out on the skin I plan to use. More importantly, I've looked at a handful of tutorials, but the controls in my version of Blender (2.90) are very different from the controls shown in any tutorial I've found. I tried following this guide, but got stuck on step 2 since the Mapping menu in my version is completely different than what's shown.

If anyone knows how to get the required files and possibly apply them in Blender, I'd really appreciate some instruction.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 12:11 PM
First, this should be posted in CAS Parts, not Objects.

Preset packages don't contain obj meshes, they contain DMaps and/or BGEOs and/or BOND files which define the morphs. In order to use them with TS4 MorphMaker you can open the package in MorphMaker, preview the preset, and save the morphed mesh. You can then tweak that mesh and use it as the morph mesh when making new DMaps. (A body morph normally uses DMaps unless it's changing height or limb length or changing the fingers.)

While sculpts may include a texture, I don't think textures are normally used in body presets. You can't apply a skin, sculpt textures are grayscale overlays. I'm afraid I can't help with Blender 2.9, I barely figured it out in 2.78.

If you need more detail, just ask!

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 9:14 PM
I apologize for misplacing this thread. It was my first post and my brain was melting from frustration. I should have scanned the forum more closely, but I saw something about .obj files and assumed that was what I was looking for.

Thank you so much for your help! I hadn't even noticed that you could extract meshes using MorphMaker. This has been extremely useful. I've been playing with Blender and MorphMaker this morning and I pretty much got the sculpt I wanted. I might try my had at making a preset from scratch since I've gotten the gist of how to make a decent looking body from looking at other peoples' edits and mimicking them.

Out of curiosity, is there any way to extract the presets found in the base game in order to use them for my own purposes?

As for applying a texture in Blender, I was referring to what is shown in this video, starting at around 1:18. The artist puts a game texture over the model so it looks like what the head would look like in game. I don't intend to pack a texture in with the mesh, I just think it would be helpful to see what the body would look like fully rendered so that I can better match up the planes of my edit to the details of the skin. Honestly at this point it's not really a big deal since I've been able to get a decent idea of what areas I need to modify by going back and forth between Blender and TS4 and checking to see what works. I've already gotten a good result using this method, so seeing the texture isn't essential, it's just that it might speed things up a little.

Either way, thank you again for the info! I really appreciate it. You filled in the missing puzzle piece I needed. My sim is already looking quite snazzy.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2020 at 10:53 PM
Cool! Yes, I can see that applying a texture would be helpful in judging how the finished product will look.

Yes, you can export and use game presets. In the preset editor tab, click the button to clone a CAS preset, then you can preview and export it. You'll probably have to preview multiple presets to find what you want since they're not named. You can also clone Sim Modifiers and sculpts the same way. This tutorial is an example: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=618920. It was written before MorphMaker could preview bone morphs so you can ignore the parts about bone morphs not being included.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4