Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:20 PM
Default .NET, Installing, S3pe, I hate Sims 3.
Hey there guys, long time no see!
I've been having continuous propblems with Sims 3, but mainly my problem is with my PC.. not wanting to instal .NET framework, or something.

I've had problems with the Windows Update tool... forever now, I keep thinking about doing a reinstall but I just don't have the time or effort. Plus, I don't have a clue where my disk is atm. My main problem is not being able to run programs, most notably The Sims Medieval or S3pe, both popping up with an error like "You need *this* version of .Net 4 to work, not whatever you have" and I've been trying for ages to get it to work. Updating .NET, rolling it back, over and over, nothing seems to have done the trick. Today I got this Installation log when I tried to roll .NET 4 back as it was installed to update, as instructed by a Microsoft guide:

Anyone know how to help me out? I just want to compress my Downloads into a single file so I can play this stupid game!

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:21 PM
Have you tried downloading and installing .NET manually - downloading the installer from the Microsoft website? I don't trust Windows Update as far as I can throw it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Theorist
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:24 PM
Yurp, that's how I got it there in the first place, my Windows Updater has /never worked/. I'm just ruling this PC as being non-internet worthy, unless I need to download. I was *amazed* it installed actually, so I have some sort of .NET4 framework in there, not exactly sure what it is, but somehow it's not good enough to get S3pe//Sims Medieval working.

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:29 PM
Mkay, well, what do you mean by rolling it back? I didn't know such a possibility existed - in your situation, my first thought would be to just uninstall it, reboot, then install it fresh. Unless, ofc, that's what you're already doing .

Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:33 PM
It's an inbuilt feature to repair itself, but it just redownloads and installs again, I was trying the solution from here: LINK
I'm gonna give the Un/Re/Reboot one last time, but I don't think it's going to do anything, sadly. I'm guessing this is the correct version to use? LINK

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:40 PM
Well, the fun thing about .NET Framework is that you can have multiple versions installed at once. That's what makes your problem so baffling - the only thing that ought to stop you installing a particular .NET Framework version, is already having a corrupted install of that same version. I can't believe you've got corrupted installs of multiple versions...
In any case, the specific version required should be specified in the individual program's documentation.

Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Apr 2012 at 9:52 PM Last edited by Petchy : 13th Apr 2012 at 10:22 PM.
Just a quick question, if I have the option to - don't think I will but it's worth a try - going back to a point in my Computer's history when it worked ok won't delete any files.. just drivers and stuff, right? Or do Programs and stuff get taken with it?
//
EDIT: The message I get when I want to run S3PE is this:
"To run this application, you first must insall one of the following versions of the .NET framework:
v4.0.30319
Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtating the appropriate version of the .NET framework."
Same as always. Any ideas?
//
EDIT 2: A La This thread to try and Verify the version of .NET I've just installed. Couldn't do it, gave me a huuuag log, however, and I've uploaded it HERE though. I'm literally sick of this!

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 5:41 AM
Get the redistributable versions. This means they are full copy instead of the "thin" versions. Thin versions are small in size to just kick off the installer process, during which it would still then connect to the Internet to download the "payload". Means, if the Internet connection is disrupted at any time during installation, you get a corrupt install.

I would uninstall everything .Net and then reinstall full Redistributable versions. Even go as far as turning off the settings in Windows - with the "Turn Windows features on or off", select all .Net related options and then reboot. And turn it back on (the Windows features) after the restart, and reinstall full redistributable versions first, reboot again. And then let Windows Updates update those with the Security Update crap and whatnot.

OK, I'm going off the top of my head for Windows 7, but I think Vista is similar...and I've never had Vista, so I can't even say that I remember or forgot.

Just read the log.
Did you install just the 64bit versions or both 32bit and 64bit?
Theorist
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 10:48 AM
I'm.. not entirely sure. I think I did 64, though I'm not sure the package showed a difference? Can you give me a link to the full versions as Microsoft's website layout is seriously messed up. Time for another Un-/Re-/Reboot then?

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#10 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 2:54 PM
They always claim to be backward compatible, but the programs would look for the individual folders of each flavor anyway. So you may need all of them, for other applications, not just s3pe. The 3.5 and 4 versions also appear to have the (x86) & (x64) together in one file.
In the "What others are Downloading" and "Related resources" boxes have the most commonly used links. You may need to uninstall & redownload/reinstall the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable as well if that gets corrupted too. I know that Launcher uses this. As for s3pi and its suite of apps, I'm not entirely sure but it may be interconnected? Well, if you get the error prompt, I mean.
Theorist
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Apr 2012 at 5:25 PM Last edited by Petchy : 14th Apr 2012 at 6:08 PM.
Ella, thank you so much for compiling these for me, you're a brilliant help. Downloading all four right now, going to do a full blast though of installing and stuff, hopefully I'll have more info on the way

EDIT: Am back, nope, still not working. When I tried to do 2.0 it was all "It's included in the OS!" Tried updating C++ too. What's weirder is that Medieval just asks for 4.0 .NET, and doesn't work.. even though I've definitely got it installed!

♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
In the Arena
retired moderator
#12 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 2:25 PM
You need to uninstall all .net versions before you get to 2.0 version. And even then, it needs special care as this is tied to Vista's "eco-system".

Try these instructions, hopefully one of these at least helps:
- http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/ar...dows-vista.aspx
- http://uksbsguy.com/blogs/doverton/...dows-vista.aspx
- http://soci.hu/blog/index.php/2008/...5-sp1-in-vista/