Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 10:04 AM
Default A Possible Monitor/Graphics Card Problem...
EDIT: Delete the other thread please. My internet went stupid on me.

Okay, now I think I'd wanna post this, because this problem was ticking me off for some time.

Well, recently my monitor is going nuts on me. It's turning on, flickering off, then powering up back again a few seconds later. Sometimes, moving the monitor cable does the trick. But alas, it's not a solution anymore.

So the only choice I have is to lay my PC flat on its side to get things working. Soon, that wasn't the solution as well. So went in the PC and nudged the graphics card a bit, and it still won't work. A few more nudges to the graphics card and the PC was back on. Minutes later--the monitor goes off. It's now become a cycle so to say.

LONG STORY SHORT: Either my monitor cable or graphics card is loose, or just old. I've had it for a good 6 years, so I don't blame it. But before I replace both, I might as well get some feedback on this.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 2:10 PM
It could be either of those things. Is there any chance you could possibly borrow a monitor to test it on your system? When my started behaving similarly I used it as an excuse to replace my graphics card(which was old as heck anyway). My monitor wasn't as old as yours. I would try to hook another monitor up first. That would rule out the monitor and cable. I doubt it's a loose graphics card, because you said you nudged it. To rule that out though, just pull it out and reinsert it
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#3 Old 10th Dec 2008 at 2:18 PM
kennyinbmore's suggestion is good- determine whether this is the monitor or the graphics card first.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 11:36 AM
Yeah, it could be the graphics card--but my dad says it could be the motherboard itself. Nudging the graphics card does produce results, but it goes awry anyways. Mine's a nVidia GeForce 5, IIRC. It's about 6-7 years old, but I don't think I could get it replaced--newer ones are expensive, I hear. And I don't know anyone who I could borrow a monitor from.

(On a sidenote, I find that I can't play any computer game on it. So I really might need to get the card replaced.)
Theorist
#5 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 9:37 PM
Not to mention the difficulty in obtaining an appropriate card for your slot. Newer cards are expensive, but, that is completely moot if you can't get the right type of card for your motherboard.

If its a GeForce FX 5 series, its probably AGP. I have the GeForce 5700 myself, and I have been looking to upgrade it, but alas, good luck finding ANY AGP Nvidia cards anymore...its all PCI Express now. I refuse to purchase from ATI, so I have to go to newegg or something to find an AGP replacement video card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 10:39 PM
If jiggling the card gets results then it could just not be seated properly. I would open up the case, pull out the card, clean the gold connectors on both the card and the slot with some rubbing alcohol, and then putting it back in securely.

That's running either an AGP card or maybe even just a PCI card. At either rate it is definitely not worth the cost to replace the card. If you know you need to do that then it's time for a new pc. You don't know ANYONE else that has a computer? Surely there's someone you can borrow a monitor and cable from.. If nothing else then pop down to Best Buy and get a replacement monitor to test. You can return it within 14 days for a full refund.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 11:38 PM
Okay, so I think I can rule out getting a new graphics card. I've always suspected it wasn't sitting in its slot properly. But trouble is, it seems to loosen itself at times.

Well, I did get it working for a bit, but after a good half hour, the thing went awry again. I might clean out the gold connectors on the card, but i dunno how to clean the ones on the slot.

EDIT: Just thinking, but I might need to replace the motherboard if I get a new graphics card, right?
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 11th Dec 2008 at 11:46 PM
If you have it seated properly it will not simply wiggle loose.

I just use a bit of rubbing alcohol on the end of a q-tip. I've also heard an eraser works on the card? It won't fit in the slot though. It's rubber so it can't hurt.. never done that one myself.

You can get another AGP or PCI card but it's going to be very poor value. Check out our sticky guide on buying a new graphics card if you decide that's what you want to do.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 12th Dec 2008 at 7:58 AM
Actually, was thinking for getting my graphics card replaced until I got the nVidia BSOD just now. So, this could be more than a graphics card problem? Because I just updated my drivers a month ago.