Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 7:24 AM
64bit Vista + Sims 2 = Fail?
Okay, I haven't played the sims in months. I recently upgraded my Vista from the 32 bit to the 64 bit version, because I have 4g of ram and 32bit only supports 3g, so I thought it would make my game run better if I upgraded. Was this a problem? I have all EP installed, and about 100m of CC in the game, and am seeing massive issues. For example, I downloaded Corvidophile's Dogville series, and when I click a house in the bin, it will take 2-3 minutes to bring up the info on it, locking up my comp in the process. I saved my game earlier and got up to get a drink, when I came back, it was still saving and didn't finish for 5 minutes (this was with a family of 4 on a 3x3 lot). At random times during playing, the whole game will freeze for 30 seconds - 2 minutes for no apparent reason. All of these problems are happening even with zero CC installed, like clicking a maxi's house in the bin that I've never clicked before, saving problems, etc.

It's not only the Sims 2 that I'm having problems with, for example, extracting files using 7zip seems to take twice as long as it did on XP, saving files seems to take longer, etc even though my computer I'm using now is at least twice as good as the comp I had XP on, and I played my sims games with all EP and about 2g of CC installed.

Comp specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5200
Memory: 4g ram
Radeon X1950 pro

Judging from my comp specs, I should be able to run the game and any program with no problems. Should I just go back to the 32 bit? I downloaded a driver fix for dual core processors that was supposed to help with gaming from the AMD website, and I can't tell a difference. I don't know what to do anymore. *wishes I still had XP*

edit: Actually, it doesn't matter if I've clicked the house in the bin before, it still takes FOREVER for the info to pop up. ><
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 2:06 PM
Ack I hope not, I was planning on installing the 64 bit Vista later on today :s

Am assuming you didn't have these problems on 32 bit?
shiny!
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 4:48 PM
When you updated to 64 bit did you install all the necessary drivers? Update chipset/sound/video etc?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Apr 2008 at 10:18 PM
Yep, updated all the drivers and everything.

And I can't really remember if it was running this slow on 32 bit, since I haven't played it in so long, BUT I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I know for sure it ran faster on my XP computer that only had 2g of ram though.

I also tried the fix for just running it on one of the processors, and that seemed to help some, but still have loooong loading times.

If I can't find a fix, I'm definitely going to just re-install the 32bit, take the loss of 1g ram, and then install the sims and try it that way. I was just hoping there was something easier I could do than all that. XD
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 12:02 AM
Is it just the sims2 you having difficulties in performance? do you play other games on your pc, if so how do they compare before you had installed the 64bit OS? If other programs & games perform fine or as same as was before, it maybe a software issue. When you installed the new OS, was it an upgrade installation? When converting OS its sometimes best to do a fresh install of everything eg. games & software. Especially if they are different OS eg.xp-vista, 64bit-32bit. Try a fresh install of sims2 & without the cc and see if it makes a difference. Also have you checked system properties & device manager to see if there are no exclamation marks? if there are it means your missing a driver for your hardware and you'll need to install its drivers, these things can easily go amiss when installing a new OS.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 3:40 AM
Do you have an emachine? i have one and i think its a 64bit.

I have somewhat the same problem. It will freeze some what. I would just start reading something and it works..lol. Mainly when i am reading my sims 2 manuals.

I dont have any of the custom stuff on because of its disc space.

Has it been acting up lately?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Apr 2008 at 10:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fftamfan
Is it just the sims2 you having difficulties in performance? do you play other games on your pc, if so how do they compare before you had installed the 64bit OS? If other programs & games perform fine or as same as was before, it maybe a software issue. When you installed the new OS, was it an upgrade installation? When converting OS its sometimes best to do a fresh install of everything eg. games & software. Especially if they are different OS eg.xp-vista, 64bit-32bit. Try a fresh install of sims2 & without the cc and see if it makes a difference. Also have you checked system properties & device manager to see if there are no exclamation marks? if there are it means your missing a driver for your hardware and you'll need to install its drivers, these things can easily go amiss when installing a new OS.

No other games installed yet on the computer. Other programs run slower on 64bit than the 32bit. It was a complete install of Vista, i.e. wiped everything out and installed Vista. I JUST installed the sims and when I first ran it before I put any CC in, it still was super slow. I have updated all the drivers.

And I'm sorry, I don't know what an e-machine is...my husband has always built our own computers, so I don't think we have one?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Apr 2008 at 11:23 PM
Okay, so I installed 32bit Vista this morning, and instead of taking 2 minutes to load house info in the house bin, it takes like 1 second. Start up is super fast (like 20 seconds), quitting is fast, saving is fast, pretty much everything is faster.

So I guess I fixed it lol XD
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 3:24 AM
Good...You really had me worried there. I wonder is everyone who has the 64-bit having these kinds of problems

I have tried, but have failed. What else is there for me do do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Apr 2008 at 3:48 AM
@lmfjaxxon: I couldn't say, I surely wouldn't think so. I know my husband runs 64bit and doesn't have problems, but then again he also doesn't have any games he plays.

Thanks for everyone's help! Overall (not just the sims game) my computer is faster with the 32bit Vista than with the 64bit, even though a lot of programs can't take use of the dual core and I only have 3g of ram instead of 4. :D