Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 9:45 AM
Default Buying a new laptop
ok so my friend wants to get a laptop she asked me for help and since im not genius with stuff like this so i have come for help.

she is looking a new laptop.

she will only use it for basic things such as surfing the internet,chatting, school essays, lots of music and video podcast's (so that means a quite a bit of space).

desktop is out of the question since she needs to travel with her laptop.

so these are her must haves in the laptop:
must be $750 or less (not everyone is rich ,plus laptop tax is alot so she is actually willing to pay around $800 but once you get down to it a 750 dollar laptop is ganna be like 50 bucks plus in tax)
lots of space around 120gb and higher (might do with 80 gbbut its best to have 120gb or more)
14-15"(preferably 15 but she can bear with at least 14)
vista no mac's no xp (doesn't like macs or old os's)
and she doesn't want it to be slow

i hope someone here can help her out she is dying for a new laptop.
thanks for reading and maybe even helping.

My custom content sim site:
Nostalgic Sims
My Flickr

im so confusedddddddd
Advertisement
#2 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 11:03 AM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/...KC323UA%2523ABA

Tell her to look at that, it is HP, similar to my new laptop.

It has Vista Home Premium, AMD Dual Core Processor 1.9ghz, 15.4"screen,
2GB Ram [need atleast 1GB for Vista], an NVidia Graphic Card incase she ever plays games, 160GB HDD and intergrated Camera&Mic
And is $754.99.
#3 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 1:57 PM
Laptop tax??
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 3:32 PM
Vista and not slow are mutually exclusive LMFAO. No, that was an exaggeration, BUT sorry to say any laptop with equal specs and Vista won't run as fast or as well as the same laptop with XP. Vista is an absolute resource hog, plus it's still pretty buggy. Just because Vista is newer doesn't mean it's better. So many people complained about Vista that Microsoft actually boasted a 'downgrade to xp' option. Any professional and most gamers are still using XP.

That aside, considering her usage there’s not much to look out for. Something with an integrated graphics will run cooler.. AMD processors will be cheaper over intel.. stay away from Celeron.

eta: I don't like HP but I recognize your friend is on a budget and she's not going to be using it hard, so I'm not going to start lecturing. It will prob run quite well for her. Far as HP goes that dv6700z would be the only decent HP model in her price range. However instead of buying that prebuild one that was linked to I would go here: http://www.shopping.hp.com/series/c.../computer_store
Find the big orange button that says "Customize & Buy" next to the "Base configuration $630.99"
Change the Processor: AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-60
Change the Memory: 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
TOTAL: Total: $755.99
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 11:10 PM
my friend isnt a gamer she is just using it for school plus shes used to vista anyways and buggy isnt really a problem when ur just surfing the net lol. thanks for giving links you guys. its really up to her on which one to chose but cheapest is best.

yes Reindeer911 tax goes really up when you buy expensive stuff its about 8.5% now (she calls it "blah" tax insert what your buying where blah is) so for example if you have something that is $800 the tax on it is around 70 bucks

but she says she likes the one callum91 reffered. even if its out of stock but she is willing to wait till it comes back in stock and it might even lower in price.

thanks for your help everyone.

My custom content sim site:
Nostalgic Sims
My Flickr

im so confusedddddddd
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 11:29 PM
You do realize the one I linked to is in stock and is **exactly** the same model and everything except the processor is quite a bit better which is the trade off for the 120gb vs. 160gb..? Ah well anyway good luck to her then.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Jan 2008 at 8:31 PM
Personally, I like the new interface of vista. I don't mean aero, I'm sick of it, it's just that the OS is more user friendly, with new button layouts and the like.

When XP was released, everyone complained about how it was so terrible. Now everyone is claiming Vista is terrible, and sticking to XP.
When Vienna is released, I don't doubt that people will stick to vista.
Everybody is going to have to uprgade sometime.
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Jan 2008 at 2:13 AM
XP was never as bad as Vista's original release. I mean here you have it a year later and companies are still having to offer XP with their business models. I don't remember Microsoft boasting a downgrade option or offering free Win 2000 for those who were unhappy with XP either.