Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Oct 2007 at 1:06 AM
Default In the Shadow of a Young Poet
((This is the last poem I wrote; I've written hundreds and suddenly hit "poem block" several years ago))

With a flourish of wrist and a brandish of pen,
He threw his words down on the paper,
And I thought to myself, how lucky is he,
To have had his heart so strongly moved,
That he felt so compelled to shape into words,
The rhythms of his longing soul,
To trace on the page the beats of his heart,
And pine for the grace of her love,
I looked all about but ne'er did see,
In any of the faces around,
Anyone who caused such a stirring in me,
Though I practically pushed my heart forth,
And I begged of myself, 'Feel in your breast,
The beat of a love that is yours',
But all that I felt, Was the sweet kiss of loss,
As I stood in the young poet's shadow.
Advertisement
#2 Old 24th Oct 2007 at 10:44 PM
wow. That is beautiful. =] I like the concept of it. The whole idea of the poet, and describing what he does, but yet again still keeping a nice rhythm and its just very well written piece of work.

Good job. =)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2007 at 10:29 AM
Thanks so much - I'm glad you enjoyed it
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 7:07 AM
An exquisite peice of writing. Good use of words and a flowing beat. I'm 17 at the moment and I enjoy poetry, writing and alike. Yet I feel the very same as what you do. Lost for words, and if I find them somehow, I'd only be repeating them from a previous poem I'd writen. So with saying that, I guess I'm trying to express that it meant something to me. Very Unique, great job.
Inventor
#5 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 9:03 PM
I too have had a "poem block" as you call it. Haven't written anything in about two years. But, eventually, it will find its way back to you. Mine is only just beginning to return. And seeing how well this poem is written, I think you are meant to find your gift again. ^_^
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2007 at 10:08 PM
Thanks so much to both of you - it's helpful to remember that I'm not the only one who has come up against a loss for words
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Oct 2007 at 1:08 AM
..Wow...My pulse actually quickened as I read the description of the shaping of language, and words. And I felt my chest clench with the familiar feeling of writer's block. That was awesome. I'm totally sharing that with my fiancee who always complains about his writer's block. Maybe it'll inspire him to kill his writer's block. And it has inspired me to go work on my novel (after 2 days of writing near non-stop,I needed a break) since I don't want to loose it. So again, amazing!