Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 5:05 AM
Default Buying a new mouse
Can anyone who knows a bit more about mice than I do recommend a reliable portable, wireless mouse?

The problem I've had twice now is that the mouse wheel click breaks after about a year (I use it quite a bit for opening/closing browser tabs and tilting the view in Sims 2 so this might be why!) . Would be great not to have to keep replacing my mouse although from the searching I've done so far there is either little information on durability of mice or people giving conflicting accounts. Or people who have given up hope altogether :p

I'm not too fussy about the shape (as long as it's small and portable) and am willing to spend about £30-£35 if it's one which will last. Connectivity wise I would prefer to go with a micro USB receiver so I can leave the receiver in my laptop but Bluetooth would also be ok. I've just found it takes a second for my laptop to recognise it again after periods of inactivity and the battery is drained a lot faster, especially if I forget to switch it off.

The mouse I have at the moment is a Bluetooth Sandstrom one and I can't remember the exact model of the last one but I think it was from hp and had a micro USB receiver.

I hope I'm not the only one who finds this frustrating! I'd be grateful for any advice /recommendations Thanks!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 5:23 AM
I can't recommend wireless mice, usually they're just terrible. Wired all the way. But if it absolutely had to be wireless, I would say go for the Logitech Marathon M705. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...thon-mouse-m705

I use a (wired) Logitech G400 and love it to bits. The G400s has replaced it but is equally as good I hear.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 10:45 AM
I've generally found that ones with a charger base which you put the mouse on when it's not in use are a lot easier to use than battery powered ones, presumably because they always have a higher level of charge and don't need to conserve power so much. My experience is limited though.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 6:12 AM
I have a discontinued Microsoft ergonomic mouse that uses a track ball for moving the cursor, 4 buttons that do left click right click and two for browser short cuts and has a click wheel that is built like a tank.

Aside from the fact it is discontinued, the track ball collects dirt from use.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 11:55 AM
Yes sorry would definitely prefer wireless! The Logitech Marathon M705 looks nice but ideally would like something a bit smaller so it's easier to carry around. Although if there isn't much available which is good quality it wouldn't be the end of the world if I got a normal-sized mouse.

Didn't know you could get charger bases! Sounds like a good idea, although personally I would take having to change batteries and having a mouse which is potentially less responsive over having the extra charger base on my desk

Thanks for the advice so far If nobody suggests something travel-sized will probably just go for the Logitech one. I guess it is hard to know sometimes how long a mouse will last and it is different for everyone.
Test Subject
#6 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 5:31 AM
The Logitech wireless mouses are awesome. I've had this one for almost two years and the most I've had to deal with is replacing the battery. As long as you don't lose the USB. Lol.