Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 2:52 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Seasons
Default LOOKS like... my 2008 computer is too new for the installer...
A) My MacBook Pro has OSX 10.8 installed, so if you're familiar with Mac problems, you probably know where this is heading... I'm trying to install OFB, off a DVD, but the installer is from the older generations of OS X (10.4 to be precise), and won't run. As my OS is newer, I thought it would work, but I kind of forgot that Apple did this business of discontinuing support for legacy software, without a whole lot of fanfare about it. B) I do currently have Seasons running on the same machine, but I transferred that from my old laptop via an external drive, rather than installing it from a disc. Seasons is newer, so I know I'm doing this in the wrong order, but theoretically, OFB should run just fine, IF I could get an installer that works. Or, is it the case that since the installer wouldn't run, the expansion pack would be no good either? If THAT's the case, someone please just slap me (digitally, of course).
C) EA no longer supports, recognizes, sells, or really wants anything to do with disc-installed games anymore - everything's online - which I knew would be true, but I contacted their help desk this afternoon to be sure - and so...

My question is: is there a way to get an OFB installer file somewhere, that will run on 10.8 (snow leopard, I think) other than by purchasing yet another DVD from eBay that may or may not actually be of the correct vintage? I don't feel that I'm just trying to be a cheapskate, as I've purchased the DVD in question, and have a serial number... which EA also will not honor, of course. Failing that route of obtaining an installer file, does anyone know a reliable source for the DVD software? I could look to eBay yet again, but... Again, if I'm missing something basic here, please forgive my wasting space on the forum. And thanks.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 3:15 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 11th Oct 2020 at 1:33 PM.
Disclaimer: Haven't used a Mac since 2008 because of high frustration levels)

Is the DVD disc drive the problem, or the disc itself? If it's the drive, it could be a compatibility issue and you'd need an update to the drivers or perhaps try with a different drive (you can get external ones).

If the DVD won't run, there could be something blocking the Autorun (could be a form of protection, sometimes the computer doesn't recognize very old programs, and thinks the EXE file or the copy protection on the disc is some sort of malware and stops it from running. There are ways around this, at least on Windows, so there could be ways around on a Mac too). If it's not that, could simply be as you say that the installer is outdated - although I think you'd be hard-put to find the correct install DVD (not sure if there are several variants - I doubt it). If I remember correctly, they released the same DVDs for Windows and Mac. The compatibility issue I know of is when they stopped adding Mac with Bon Voyage and onward.

Maybe someone with more Mac knowledge can give this one a hand?

If you end up needing another solution, you could get the Super Collection (the entire mac-compatible game with all Mac-compatible packs) that's possibly updated for newer Mac versions. It's on the Mac app store and Aspyr and probably a couple other places as well. Looks like it's about 30$ on the Mac store (no idea if they have sales or if it's possible to get it cheaper). I don't think they sell the packs as singles any longer (most likely you're off looking at Ebay and other places like that - could almost be cheaper to get the SC because you get the updates too, but of course you don't get the disc so that's a bummer). Check for compatibility first, though.

Hopefully you manage to get it fixed so you don't need to spend extra money on the games.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 7:08 AM Last edited by muridae : 11th Oct 2020 at 7:28 AM.
Disclaimer: I never owned the DVD version of the game for Mac, because my first Mac was an Intel one. However, it’s my understanding that it was written for the Power PC processors, and probably won’t either install or run without Rosetta to translate the code for it. Rosetta was introduced at Tiger (10.4), and the last version of it was available at Snow Leopard (10.6). Anything later than that, such as 10.8 (Mountain Lion), which you say you’re on, has had the code to run Power PC applications stripped from the operating system.

If the already-installed game runs on Mountain Lion, that’s great. But you’d probably have to be running Snow Leopard (with Rosetta installed, which it isn’t by default) in order to do a new install. I guess you could try doing a Snow Leopard install to a portable USB drive and dual boot it for the installation, then copy it across as you did with Seasons?

Mountain Lion was supported for the 32-bit version of Sims 2 Super Collection, which is the Mac App store rewrite of the game for Intel machines which comes with all EPs and SPs that were ever converted for the Mac. I think only Lion (10.7) was left out in the cold by not being supported for either version. However, the 64-bit version of the game released in January only supports 10.12 (High Sierra) and above. I think if you buy it for an older OS it’ll tell you it’s not compatible and offer to download the older version, but can’t 100% guarantee it. You might want to contact Aspyr, who wrote the Mac version of the game and ask them about that. EA didn’t have anything to do with the Mac version of Sims 2 other than giving Aspyr the licence to convert some of the packs, so Aspyr are the people to talk to, for either the disk or Mac App store version of the game.

If you do decide to go for Sims 2 Super Collection, it’s worth keeping an eye on the Mac App store if you feel able to wait to do it. Aspyr run occasional sales, generally at holiday periods, so it’s often possible to get it at 20% or 50% off.

ETA: See Aspyr’s FAQ about Sims 2 Super Collection - which gives links if you need to contact support. It says minimum of 10.10, but It definitely supported earlier versions initially.

https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/...-Collection-FAQ
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 2:40 AM
Well, the DVD loads; it's the installer program itself that won't run. I'll take another look at the expansion multi-pack at the Apple store... I think I might have seen it before, and I fear you may be right that it's updated for systems past where I'm at. But thanks for that idea!
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Oct 2020 at 2:43 AM
Thanks for the tip! I have my doubts, as it's such an old game, but it'd be worth a try checking with the Aspyr folks.
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chitownriverscum
Well, the DVD loads; it's the installer program itself that won't run. I'll take another look at the expansion multi-pack at the Apple store... I think I might have seen it before, and I fear you may be right that it's updated for systems past where I'm at. But thanks for that idea!

I am pretty sure that your Installer is too old and won't run on a newer OS X, you can get The Sims 2 Super Collection from the App Store {price is $30, if I recall correctly} and that will work fine, however the current version of The Sims 2 Super Collection is a 64 bit Ap...So hopefully your are running the recent Mac OS that is 64 bit.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.