Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 3:39 AM
Default What do you do to get rid of writers block?
I usually tend to listen to certain songs or watch a movie, relating to what I am writing. Although lately that hasn't been helping anymore, does anyone have any tips on how they get rid of writers block?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 8:26 AM
Depends a little on the nature of the writer's block.

Things that I do include:
- Deliberately do something else than writing for a little while.
- Listen to music related or unrelated to the story. Sometimes all it takes is a line from some obscure song that has nothing to do with the story.
- Read a book that might inspire. I often get ideas for writing when I'm in the middle of some exciting scenes in the book, or when I read an inspirational line that sparks something.
- Look over old parts of the writing, to see if there's some inspiration between the lines
- Take a walk (without music or anything that might distract your mind - being alone with your head is the best way to get your head moving).
- Take a long shower or bath (Again, being alone with your head helps a lot)
- If your story is of the kind that needs some research, do some research. It always helps to know what you're writing about.
- Keep a pen and notepad with you at all times. Ideas tend to strike when you're far from your computer.
- If it's a Sim story, I might start with an empty CAS and make a family. Often, the inspiration tends to come on its own.
- I also read related real-life stories from time to time, whenever I stumble over them.
#3 Old 22nd Jan 2015 at 11:35 PM
For me, it's music and video games.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Forum Resident
#4 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 1:09 PM
I usually put away the work that's giving me trouble and come back to it later, after one of the following:
-a nap,
-a snack,
-a round of video games,
-appropriate music,
-miscellaneous chores to bore me into the desire to work.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 4:52 PM
The way I see it, all the suggestions people have given are pretty good if you've been writing along for a while and suddenly hit the wall during your session -- at times like that, it's good to refresh your brain by doing something else for a while. I also think those are good ideas for getting into the mood for writing or brainstorming ideas.

If, on the other hand, this is true writer's block, where you sit down to write and nothing comes, or it all comes out awkwardly and with great difficulty, the best piece of advice I have for you is the hardest, most uncomfortable thing ever -- write anyway. Even if everything you put on the page feels weird and flat, even if you'd rather scrub the bathtub, even if it feels like pulling your own guts out an inch at a time, just keep putting down one word after another. You won't have any "flow," your characters won't speak to you (assuming you're writing fiction, here), and yes, you might end up scrapping everything you come up with right now -- but worry about that later. Sometimes the only way to get past writer's block is to just grit your teeth and push on through.

Sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 30th Jan 2015 at 5:59 AM
Thank you everyone for all the helpful advice
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 6:47 PM
I have to agree with the "write anyway" method - that has always worked best for me.

I may not necessarily write something I want to add to the project in question, though - just ANYTHING to get me back into the swing of things. I try to have some fun: I imagine scenarios such as "What would my characters' world be like if cupcakes were suddenly outlawed?" or "What if the hero was really the villain?" or anything funny/silly/interesting enough for me to mess around with.

On occasion, these sessions have even triggered serious story ideas.
Test Subject
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2015 at 3:08 PM
I know I'm a little late to reply to this, but I would always like to help a fellow writer. This Cracked article has always helped me in my time of need.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-writi...-more-creative/
All of Cracked is actually very informative and inspiring and full of excellent writing, but don't let that get in the way of your creation process. Best of luck to you!