Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:09 AM
Default Looking for a new PC, need spec evaluations & suggestions - All expansion packs, no stuff packs, moderate amount of CC.
Hello everyone!

I've posted my question to the Origins Sims forum, but still need some . I'm looking to purchase a new computer that will be used solely for Sims (2 & 3, maybe 4) gaming and music files. I have all of the expansion packs, none of the stuff packs, and about 150 - 200MB of CC. My "dream machine" would be:

•$500 - $600
•Not refurbished.
•Not a Dell.
•Not built from scratch. I don't trust myself with case, graphics card and power supply picking.
•Run the game with as few lags as possible, on medium settings, and playing a medium - large neighborhood.

My headache seems to be finding a good CPU and graphics card combination. Would anyone be able to evaluate the specs on the machine that I'm looking to purchase, and tell me if it would be able to run the game with little to no issues? Also, can someone tell me if the lag issue that I'm experiencing with my current machine is due to the graphics card or the CPU and RAM? If at all possible, I'd like to continue to use the graphics card that I'm using now, and save a good $149:

Current Machine
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 [3.0 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache]
Memory: 2GB DDR SDRAM - 400MHz (can't expand any further)
Hard Drive: 1.5 GB 7200 RPM SATA
Graphics Card: Radeon HD Sapphire 6570
Power Supply: 300W

Prospective Machine
Model: HP ENVY 700z
Processor: AMD A8-6500 processor quad-core [3.5GHz,4MB L2 Cache]
Memory: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz [2 DIMM]
Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive
Graphics Card Option #1: 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 720 [DVI, HDMI, DVI to VGA Dongle]
Graphics Card Option #2: 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 [DVI, HDMI, DP, DVI to VGA adapter]
Power Supply: 300W

My current machine DOES run the game, but it's slow, and I've been noticing the dreaded Error Code 12 popping up recently. This will be my last game related computer purchase, and I want to try to get a good 3 - 5 years out of it without having to upgrade anything.

Thank you !

Biggest wishes for TS3:
Wider variety of harvestables and crops from TS1 & TS2 returning to the game
Wider variety of foods
More gems/metals/rocks/ore
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:51 AM
Is that 6450 an AGP card?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:11 PM
The 6570 is a PCI Express card.

Biggest wishes for TS3:
Wider variety of foods
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 12:22 PM
Ah sorry I don't know why I saw 6450. Yea re-use the graphics card... because $500 is a very tight budget.

Can you re-use your hard drive? I'm guessing that "1.5 GB 7200 RPM SATA" is a mistake?

Do you need a new Windows license? That's $100 by itself...

If I pick out the parts for you, can you assemble them yourself? That would save you some more money as well... you'd be able to buy from the cheapest merchant instead only buying from someone who will assemble for you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 1:06 PM
No worries and awesome about the card. The system specs on my current machine came from an HP or cnet archie. The model is HP a730n, and I've expanded the RAM to the 2GB max. Do the specs for the HP Envy look okay? It's within my price range if I go with the graphics card that I have now.

Biggest wishes for TS3:
Wider variety of foods
Scholar
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:26 PM Last edited by ajaxsirius : 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:38 PM.
It's okay, but can you get it without the GT 720/GT745? Those are terrible cards. And the case it comes with is terrible as well. You'll over heat easily with a case that has no intake fan.

Can you assemble yourself if I help you pick parts? Can you re-use any parts from your old PC? can you re-use your old windows license?

If you buy just a motherboard, 8GB DDR3 RAM and a new CPU and assemble everything yourself you can get something better than the HP for $300-$400. Just re-use your case, power supply and graphics card. If you can't re-use your windows license you'll have to buy another one and that'll meet your $500 budget.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 3:54 PM Last edited by ~Iris~ : 22nd Sep 2014 at 4:53 PM.
It's a customizable PC from the HP site. I can get it without the GT 720 or GT 745, opt for the integrated graphics card, and replace it with the card that I'm using right now. Would it be a worthwhile investment to get that PC and replace the case or use my existing one? I don't know what the back or sides look like, so there's a chance that there may be vents or an intake fan.

I appreciate the help offer, but I kind of have my heart set on the 700z because it's already pre-assembled. I'd feel more comfortable going with customizable PCs. My current machine is 10 years old, so I'm hesitant to recycle any of the parts except for the case. It's quick, but running XP, and is basically in factory condition (no updates, only hooked it up to the internet 3 times during those ten years). It'll also be going to mom once I get the new one and have a chance to move my files.

Biggest wishes for TS3:
Wider variety of foods