Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Nov 2020 at 11:34 PM
Default CPU now hitting 100 degrees celsius within minutes of opening the game
Hi all,

I have a mid-range gaming laptop that I bought in 2015 (Toshiba Satellite P70-B) and it usually runs at about 50 degrees celsius - except when sims 4 is running (and sims 3 but that's another forum). It jumps to 100 degrees plus within 5 mins. I have had it shut down due to overheating and I miss my sims but I don't want to burn out the CPU. Any tips? Here's what I've tried so far:

- cleaned out the fan (we replaced the hard drive with an SSD recently and took the opportunity to dust this off)
- laptop sits on a cooling fan, on a desk
- forced it to use the dedicated graphics card (AMD instead of the intel chip)
- reduced the processing power available to 80% then 70%. This gave it a bit more time but within 10mins it was up there again and I closed the game so nothing got damaged.

Nothing seems to help at all! I do have most of the packs so I guess it may no longer be powerful enough, but I really really hope that's not the case.
Thanks in advance.

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 8:41 AM
Could be that you need to replace the thermal paste on the chip- whether this is possible or not and how to do it would depend on the laptop, and you'd need to do a bit of research to find out how.
Smeg Head
#3 Old 16th Nov 2020 at 11:34 PM
Another good tip is to keep an eye on what Origin is doing in the background, via Task Manager. It can happen that Origin runs exceptionally high, taking CPU and memory usage to extreme limits where you can physically hear you machine working its guts out to the brink of overheating and collapse. A widely reported issue for years by many users and I also encountered it a few months back. You'll have to go into Origin settings and practically switch everything off, especially anything to do with testing new application stuff if it's on by default. It's certainly worth checking if the machine running has suddenly increased in a surprising way, seemingly out of nowhere, as the regular Origin updates can adjust settings from time to time.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 1:06 AM
Or better still Right Click taskbar > Task Manager > Select the Origin Client > End Task after you have loaded the game of course, it will still let you continue playing, so says some features might be unavailable.
Origin isn't exactly a lightweight frontend, but I haven't ever caught it hogging up my resources to that point, maybe unless it's updating, it's should just idle in the background, but every little bit helps, the game itself is much more demanding especially on lower end PCs, even in pause mode.

Also a 5 year laptop that might of been mid range in 2015. may not be so "mid Range" in 2020 standards. System requirements have crept up a fair bit, as my older machines no longer run the game so well anymore.

You can always switch to the TS2, as it cannot use all your hardware to it's full potential like TS4 does, meaning your laptop will run much cooler.
Smeg Head
#5 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 4:30 AM
Indeed, it should just idle in the background normally. But due to certain settings being switched on by default, an issue can arise where it will skyrocket with excruciating performance hogging. And by no means is this issue recent. When Origin did the same to my high end gaming rig last Spring, I Googled to find many reports, some years old, of same. The Origin online in game help feature and testing beta stuff feature settings were the culprits that needed deactivation, as they will just hog as much as the system can give if and when they go rogue. The fact that I had already deactivated those features many moons ago, yet an Origin update switched them all back on - the default settings - is cause for concern.

But yeah, if having no intention to jump into the Maxis Gallery while playing TS4, or no desire to let Maxis know how often your sims woohoo as and when, then getting Task Manager to shut down Origin completely is good. But make sure the settings are also deactivated on Origin for those times, every time, when you have to load it up first to gain access to a game. And make sure it is not allowed to activate with a system boot up even if no intention of playing Origin games for the session the machine is running. Most game launchers are set to activate in the background by default during a system boot up. For every Origin veteran that already knows all this, there are ten newcomers who don't and their systems can and do suffer until they twig. Little, old innocent-looking Origin, eh?

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Nov 2020 at 7:02 PM
Thanks all - origin in offline mode doesn't seem to make a difference, but I will try exiting it completely once loaded and also replacing the thermal paste.

Cheers!

Everything is ok in the end. If it's not ok, then it's not the end.