Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2023 at 8:52 PM
Default Minor pets new skin textures?
Hello I was wondering if it's even possible to add new textures to an existing objects in game? I thought of adding more skins for minor pets, for example to have not only piebald rats, but also white, brown, black etc.
And it could be randomised what colour you could get, or make totally new minor pets and add to a buyable list.
I would also need some help how can I do this if it's possible, I'm totally new in modding sims 3, but I'm willing to learn ^^'

Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 7th Aug 2023 at 1:32 AM
I think it would be useful to you to start with resources on default replacements, as the info on these will help you find all the original files you may need if the minor pets aren't available to clone in S3OC.
There's a great tutorial on some of the basics here. There may be some improvements on some of the steps since it was written, but it's a great place to start.

It shouldn't be too difficult to create some standalone pets and add them to the ingame spawners and shop list.
I don't have Pets installed right now to confirm how exactly the minor pet objects behave, but I can still see their XMLs in GameplayData (this package lives in the install folder of your game, under Game > Bin > Gameplay). MinorPets.xml defines each of the species, which is where you will add your new variants. Either by directly overwriting this XML, or with a script like CCLoader uses. Most of the contents of this XML will be self explanatory if you take a look in S3PE, just open GameplayData and filter by name for 'Minor' to find it.

Because these objects are defined so similarly, you would also benefit from reading about custom food to learn about how this tuning 'knows' what mesh to use and how to generate IDs for your new ones.