Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#1476 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 10:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
@Victor_tor WOW! That's not a house, it's a castle! I'm not familiar with TS4, was that tricky to build?
It looks amazing

ETA: If you're looking for something to do - why don't you jump over to TS2 and learn the Grid-Adjuster?

YES! It was. TS4 has some tricks and nice features in building that you could enjoy. First: you can climb and down any object there and enlarge or reduce it with no size limits. Second: you can have all reward items from buymode, that makes veery simple to build even uninhabited. Dang, it's very time saving! Both those features does not need any mods, already exists in base game and were used in Belladonna House.

Hehe. I've noticed you want me to move to dark side already. I really like TS2. The most interesting task there is creating Neighborhoods! *_* OMG. That could be awesome if I"ll make there whole neighborhood! However Grid Adguster looks like a book of spells that too complicated.

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#1477 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Victor_tor
...Grid Adguster looks like a book of spells that too complicated.

It is... But, once you know the secret-handshake you can do some fantastical things with it

Re: Neighborhoods - I've been planning to make a hood with all those 1920's houses I did.
I haven't got that far yet, 'cuz computer issues. *heavy sigh* I wish I could afford a new[er] machine...

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#1478 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 4:49 PM

Re: Neighborhoods - I've been planning to make a hood with all those 1920's houses I did.
I haven't got that far yet, 'cuz computer issues. *heavy sigh* I wish I could afford a new[er] machine...

*dramatically turns head*
That I'd like to see. Wholly self-made with SC4, or a pre-made landscape?

I hope you get your technical issues fixed.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#1479 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 12:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
*dramatically turns head*

LOL!
I don't have the terrain making program - whatever it's called - yet... We'll see if Santa has heard my request
But I have a nice stock of suitable SC4 terrains just waiting to be used. I might be able to start piecing it together soon...

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1480 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 6:23 AM
I have so many ideas abou neigborhood, but i has not anything else. I just installed Sims 2. After some tweaking I set graphics to suit video card drivers. I has Jawusa's Moon Base Appolo and HP's megahood.
Regards. Vic

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Alchemist
#1481 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 2:13 PM
LOL!
I don't have the terrain making program - whatever it's called - yet... We'll see if Santa has heard my request
But I have a nice stock of suitable SC4 terrains just waiting to be used. I might be able to start piecing it together soon...

AFAIK, Simcity 4 is everything you need to make your own TS2 neighbourhoods :D

#1482 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 2:57 PM
AFAIK, Simcity 4 is everything you need to make your own TS2 neighbourhoods :D

Yes! That's the name of it It's on my wishlist...

Now... why would anybody hit 'disagree' on Vic's post?

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1483 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 3:54 PM
Yes! That's the name of it It's on my wishlist...

GoG has it for $20, here: https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_4_deluxe_edition
I got mine from them on sale last year for $5, so you might want to keep an eye on their sales.
Theorist
#1484 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 8:41 PM
Now... why would anybody hit 'disagree' on Vic's post?

I disagreed with myself. This is fun.

Alchemist
#1485 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 3:58 PM
Building a mansion is fun when nothing is lagging, however, I've run into 2 issues lol.
I can't get a U or L-shaped stairs with the platform because it doesn't allow me to place a staircase from the 2nd floor onto the stage. I though this wasn't a problem?
I don't know how to place windows above a low-pitched porch roof either.
Screenshots

#1486 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 6:48 PM
...I can't get a U or L-shaped stairs with the platform because it doesn't allow me to place a staircase from the 2nd floor onto the stage.

U shaped stairs need CFE. 8 clicks up is halfway - if that's where you want the landing to be.
L shaped - use the stage tool and if modular stairs won't place, sometimes you need "moveObjects on".

...I don't know how to place windows above a low-pitched porch roof either.

To place windows anywhere the roof is lower than 16-clicks (be aware sims won't be able to access that area) you need Numenor's Wall #90/Uneven Wall. See post #14.

Good luck!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#1487 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 10:00 PM
Thanks.
I'll see what I can do. It was kinda Frustration that MoveObjects didn't work for the stairs, nor the Windows, at all

So it's not enough to just lower the roof to to a 15 degree pitch? Does that mean the easiest and lazy solution would be to just have a flat porch roof?

#1488 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 10:51 PM
...Does that mean the easiest and lazy solution would be to just have a flat porch roof?

Yup. especially if you want sims to able to go there/access stuff you put there

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1489 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 1:24 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 25th Oct 2020 at 5:57 AM.
I'll see what I can do. It was kinda Frustration that MoveObjects didn't work for the stairs, nor the Windows, at all

Moveobjects has always worked for me when placing modular stairs alongside a wall - always. Provided of course everything else is in order, like having clear floorspace above the stairs and so forth. But if it's an issue of simply placing modular stairs alongside a wall, Moveobjects has always worked for me, without exception. And this is regardless of whether the stairs goes to the bottom of the floor, to a "stage" landing, or a CFE landing.

Quote:
So it's not enough to just lower the roof to to a 15 degree pitch? Does that mean the easiest and lazy solution would be to just have a flat porch roof?

This is an issue I've also run into a couple of times recently (since my recent reinstall of the game after about a year of not Simming), and I could swear that in the past I've placed windows above roofs the way you describe - and I have never had those Numenor walls in my game. I could be wrong, or dreaming...
I think it works if you're using a pitched roof and the wall with the windows is perpendicular with the pitch, if you know what I mean - I think then you can place windows. But that's obviously not the way most porch roofs are, they would be lean-to's sloping up toward the house.

I mean, there seem to be so many houses uploaded that are similar to the one in your picture that have windows in those areas and I'm sure none of them use Numenor's walls. Again, I could be wrong. I'm curious enough about this now I will look for some houses that have windows in those areas, like the one in your picture.

Edit: I just did a quick search for Sims 2 Victorian houses and there are countless ones that are similar in design to yours, with porch roofs, and they all have windows above the roofs and none of them have CC. I will download some and examine them.
Mad Poster
#1490 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 2:09 AM
The window won't place correctly unless it is a full 16-clicks high - so it could place at the peak of the roof...
Sometimes, if you can get the window in place with moveObject on, go out to the hood, and come back in - and will have cut through properly. Sometimes
But, sims can't use the window - it will be deco only.

Oh! WAIT! You're wanting to put windows above the porch roof... duh! I completely had a different scenario in my head - sorry!
In that case what I said 2 sentences back (now bolded) works. Sorry I misunderstood what you wanted

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1491 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 3:20 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 25th Oct 2020 at 4:12 AM.
Okay, I've discovered how windows will place over porch-type roofs. They will only place if there is yet another roof over the second floor. Higher roofs will negate lower roofs.
However, it may not work with Mansard roofs, as in Johnny's picture, but it works with normal pitched roofs.
Try it, Johnny.

In the first picture, below, the game won't let me place any windows on the wall above that little roof section.
In the second picture, I've added another roof atop the second floor, which then lets me place the windows. (The false level (unpainted) would normally not be necessary, but I needed to do that because that second floor roof needed to be higher than the fencing around the rest of the roof. I didn't want to put a pitched roof across the entire house.)
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1492 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 4:17 AM
Did you not see my post above?
Just put the window in place with moveObject on, go out to the hood, and come back in - and it will have cut through properly.

and Vintage Stuffeths
Theorist
#1493 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 5:03 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 25th Oct 2020 at 5:59 AM.
Did you not see my post above?
Just put the window in place with moveObject on, go out to the hood, and come back in - and it will have cut through properly.

I got into the habit a long time ago never to place doors or windows using Moveobjects. My early experiences with this game seemed to show that the "cutting through" does not seem to be permanent. I could be wrong in that regard, but it's just a habit I have. I've downloaded houses that had windows that were placed with Moveobjects and they weren't cut through.
Besides, I do want the windows to be functional. When you say that Sims can't "use" them, what do you men exactly? How do Sims ever "use" windows, other than looking at falling rain or snow?
Does sunlight come through windows placed with Moveobjects?

Edit: I just tested your method and sunlight does go through windows placed with Moveobjects.
I'm still curious how Sims cannot "use" these windows though and what you mean by that.

Sorry, I still don't trust this method of placing windows. I've put some windows with Moveobjects into one my houses that is under construction, so I'll see whether this method is permanent. This house will still see a good number of changes and saves, so I'll see whether those windows indeed "stick".

A similar example involves putting a fence across a driveway in order to close off a yard. I've done this with a couple of houses I've uploaded. The way it basically works is that before placing a driveway you simply put a fence across the area where you intend to put a driveway. Then you install 2-tile fence gates, overlapping them using Moveobjects in order to give a nice appearance. Finally, you place the driveway using Moveobjects On and, voila, you have a driveway with gates that can be locked to keep neighbors and stray animals out of the yard (see picture below).
However, I've noticed that if I haven't visited a Lot in a long while, the fence across the driveway sometimes reappears, obscuring the fence gates. Then I have to re-do everything to set it right.
This has happened a couple of times and I don't know why the game does this. It did it recently after I reinstalled my game, so maybe that had something to do with it. But it didn't do it with every Lot that had a fenced driveway, just one. Weird. It makes me suspicious about using Moveobjects with things like doors, gates and windows.

Anyway, I appreciate the heads up and hope these windows keep working.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#1494 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 3:32 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 25th Oct 2020 at 3:53 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
...When you say that Sims can't "use" them, what do you men exactly? How do Sims ever "use" windows, other than looking at falling rain or snow?
Does sunlight come through windows placed with Moveobjects?

The 'using windows' bit had to do with the ceiling being less than 16-clicks. Which is what I thought Johnny was talking about earlier for some reason? (I got confuzzled)

There is no problem with sims using windows placed with moveObjects/outToHood-andBack. Make sure the window is not off grid - the quarter tile placement doesn't work for doors or windows. Sunlight comes through with no problems too.

You can put fences perpendicular to windows too. Put the fence first, then moveObject the window; out to the hood and back. Voila - fence is attached nicely to the wall under the window.

Sometimes with this 'trick', when you first install/enter the house, the windows/doors will not be cut through. But, if you save, go out to the hood, and back, it fixes itself. Sims don't know the difference - they will walk through even if the door/arch isn't cut through, and sunlight will come through the window, even if it's not cut through.

Good luck - and have fun exploiting this 'glitch' (I do it all the time!)

PS - Now that you're using a bit of CC Do you know about the driveway gates? There are several MaxisMatch/completer driveway gates out there (I'll have to find the link for you) The gates are deco, I believe? But, cars can go right through them. And the fence still keeps critters out.

Here you go - found 'em at S2A: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=224.0

and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#1495 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 4:19 PM
The roof-above trick did the job. I've put a roof band around the outer edges of the mansard roof, and I could place the windows.
Now I'll have to figure out the staircase problem. (Which luckily doesn't affect this particular mansion I'm working on now)
Moveobjects just doesn't work, neither has removing walls around the stage and stairs. I've tried with sufficient landing spaces, nothing. I'm just hoping it may be some sort of bug which will sort itself out to the poiint where Moveobjects will work.
Maybe building a house around the staircase does the trick.

#1496 Old 25th Oct 2020 at 5:09 PM
PS - Now that you're using a bit of CC Do you know about the driveway gates? There are several MaxisMatch/completer driveway gates out there (I'll have to find the link for you) The gates are deco, I believe? But, cars can go right through them. And the fence still keeps critters out.

Here you go - found 'em at S2A: https://sims2artists.com/index.php?topic=224.0

Thanks for the link.
Theorist
#1497 Old 31st Oct 2020 at 1:05 AM
3T2#05-3BR:

Forum Resident
#1498 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 4:08 PM
Beautifully Done!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#1499 Old 1st Nov 2020 at 4:11 PM
Here is what I started last night based on this house plan, changed it up just a bit:
https://archivaldesigns.com/products/english-house-plan

Might have to redesign the garage a bit
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Theorist
#1500 Old 8th Nov 2020 at 2:25 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 26th Dec 2020 at 12:53 AM.
GlassCubed-2BR: A glass house where none of the interior walls touch any of the exterior glass walls. This is a complete rebuild of one of my own earlier modern houses, with the floorplans being similar, but on a larger 40x40 Lot, with more extensive landscaping. Swimming pool, spa, office space, hobby space, spare space to use as needed, 4 fruit trees, barbecue area, and fireplace.
The only CC is the CEP.
Screenshots

Page 60 of 98