Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 10:25 PM
PC Geeks - question
Hey everyone

I am wanting to toss my big ol desktop pc and get a laptop. I am wondering what sort of laptop I should look for that will run the sims 4 effortlessly? What processor would I need? How many megs of ram? What sort of built in video card should I look for? etc...

Thanks!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 10:29 PM
Depending on what you're using it for, I recommend another pc over a laptop. That aside, what is your price range for a laptop?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2015 at 11:28 PM
Hmm, well my pc does pretty good running the sims 3 and 4. Its a dual core intel processor and around 5 gigs of ram. Problem is, being a desktop, its large, and I have to sit upstairs in "the computer room" to get on the sims. Laptop would merely allow me to be downstairs with the rest of my peeps and not so isolated. But in reading the above posts, I am thinking maybe isolation and the stronger desktop are gonna be the way to go
Theorist
#5 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 3:51 PM
If you have a good desktop PC far away and a laptop that's not so great, you could try Nvidia GameStream and Moonlight client. Your desktop PC does all the heavy lifting (3D, game rendering, etc) and streams the video output to your remote device that can be a laptop, tablet, or even smartphone.

I've tried it and it worked. I was able to play Sims 4 on a remote PC which had a crap CPU and graphics card that normally would have choked on Sims 4. Also worked on my Android tablet and smartphone. I can't remember how well it worked, but it did work. I think Wifi speed was the bottleneck and on my Android devices there were some aspect ratio/resolution issues because my desktop PC is semi-widescreen at 16:10, phone was 16:9, and tablet is 4:3. This was over a year ago and they (Moonlight authors) may have fixed those issues by now.

Resident wet blanket.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 3:59 PM
Moving to General > Computer Stuffz. Please use this forum for general tech support questions.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Oct 2015 at 11:18 PM
Thank you for those hardware stats, and thanks for the recommendation of Nvidia Gamestream. I will definitely look into them both!
Scholar
#8 Old 15th Oct 2015 at 9:37 AM
No point in buying Haswell now. Just wait for Skylake laptops. Dell has already started launching theirs.

BTW Not all mobile core i5 and i7s are the same. Some i5s are quad cores, some are dual cores. Some i7s are quad cores, some are dual cores.

As far as the Sims goes, it's more cost efficient to get dual cores with higher clock speed, and i5s over i7s.

So I would recommend i5 6287U or i5 6440HQ as processors, 8GB of DDR4, a 250GB SSD and a GTX 960m or better. That's what you should get ideally to play at high-ish settings with mods at 1080p.