Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th May 2015 at 2:03 AM
Default SimCity 4 Deluxe worked fine... now it won't start.
I have just spent the past 4 hours trying to get my SC4 gane to start up. I had decided last week that I was going to build a entire sims 2 neighbourhood and sub-hoods from scratch.

I installed SC4, created a "world" full of small cities and began creating what would eventually be my sims 2 world map.
Due to life etc.. I haven't been on my pc for a good few days. Tonight I had time so I thought i'd build another hood.

SC4 wouldn't boot up. the opening picture of the bridge would appear, then nothing. i'd then get an error report screen appear asking if i'd like to send an error report. My pc isn't connected to the internet so I can't report it. I really don't understand how this has happened? I haven't been on the pc?

Things I have tried included...
system restore
un-installing the game and installing again
updating graphics driver*
updating direct x*
updating windows service pack*
*even though they were all up to date

I have searched forums high and low trying to find a solution but even though I know my way around a computer i'm no expert and found the answers given to be too technical and in-depth for me to confidently implement.

I have downloaded the SC4 Launcher, followed the configuration instructions and the game still won't launch.
I have checked through my device manager and removed any duplicate devices such as dvd/cd-rom drives, display adaptors (showing radeon 9200 series and radeon 9200 series - secondary) etc
under processors, it's showing two intel pentium 4 - i've not touched that
My pc is relatively old so it shouldn't have any problems running the game (it runs sims 2 + all EPs and SPs perfectly)
My system is
Packard Bell
intel pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHz 3.07GHz, 1.00GB RAM
Windows XP Home (2002 version, service pack 3)
31.70 GB used - 117.34GB free
Radeon 9200 Series

Is that enough information?

Can anyone help me please?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 14th May 2015 at 4:04 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 14th May 2015 at 8:18 PM.
@MuddyPuddles

Does the error message give a reason as to why it crashed? Or does it just want to send the error report?

I'm also guessing this is an unmodified version of the game (e.g. no hacks/mods used) that you're trying to install, yes?

Also, you mentioned about downloading the SC4 Launcher. Did you try using the execution file provided from the installation ("C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe") instead of a launcher?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th May 2015 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
@MuddyPuddles

Does the error message give a reason as to why it crashed? Or does it just want to send the error report?

I'm also guessing this is an unmodified version of the game (e.g. no hacks/mods used) that you're trying to install, yes?

Also, you mentioned about downloading the SC4 Launcher. Did you try using the execution file provided from the installation ("C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe") instead of a launcher?

the error message I get is:
"simcity 4 has encountered a problem and needs to close"
I click on the link to view what the error report contains it says...
"Error Signature
AppName: simcity 4.exe AppVer: 1.1.613.0 ModName: ~df394b.tmp
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 000548ed"

then it gives me a link to a more detailed error report. I can't save that file or copy/paste the contents.
Yes, there are no hacks, mods or anything.
I have tried starting the game up using the .exe icon located in the folder you mentioned and it makes no difference.
I just can't understand how it can work one minute and not the next?
Scholar
#4 Old 17th May 2015 at 4:45 AM
Maybe the game needs to work with the Software mode in-game. Since you can't access the options menu, try placing the following command in the Target box of the Properties window:
"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\simcity4.exe" -d:Software

I'm guessing you've seen this page? It's translated from German to English:
https://translate.google.ca/transla...%3D5&edit-text=

Maybe something got changed in the game's options before you exited the game? And now it may need options added before launching the game.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th May 2015 at 7:26 PM Last edited by MuddyPuddles : 17th May 2015 at 7:58 PM.
Maybe the game needs to work with the Software mode in-game. Since you can't access the options menu, try placing the following command in the Target box of the Properties window:
"C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps\simcity4.exe" -d:Software

I'm guessing you've seen this page? It's translated from German to English:
https://translate.google.ca/transla...%3D5&edit-text=

Maybe something got changed in the game's options before you exited the game? And now it may need options added before launching the game.

I've just tried that and it still doesn't work :-( it's totally baffling me!

one thing I have noticed, is under the target box in the "Start in" box is says C:/PROGRA~1/Maxis\SIMCIT~1\
Is that correct?

EDIT: i added -d:software and also -intro:off into the target box and received a new message before it crashed. I have included a photo of the error -
Scholar
#6 Old 17th May 2015 at 11:04 PM
I would try renaming the link in the Target box to the proper names (e.g. "Program Files", instead of "PROGRA~1") & to it's direct folder location. I never seen a target box with a link like that.

Also, make sure you use the "\" symbol instead of the "/" symbols. Perhaps that's causing problems.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th May 2015 at 1:09 AM
I would try renaming the link in the Target box to the proper names (e.g. "Program Files", instead of "PROGRA~1") & to it's direct folder location. I never seen a target box with a link like that.

Also, make sure you use the "\" symbol instead of the "/" symbols. Perhaps that's causing problems.

it's not saying "PROGRA~1" in the target box, it says that in the start in box. (i've added a photo)

I was beginning to think it's the pc and not the game but sims 2 works absolutely fine without any issue?
Scholar
#8 Old 18th May 2015 at 4:16 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 18th May 2015 at 4:30 AM.
Ok, here's another thing to try. Regarding that error about a missing file "AutoRunGUI.dll"

Go to that location's folder C:\Documents and Settings\Testing\Local Settings\Temp\. Does that AutoRunGUI.dll file exist in that folder? If not, do the following:

1) Insert Disc 1 CD in disc player.
2) Explore folder of Disc 1
3) Copy-&-Paste "AutoRunGUI.dll" into C:\Documents and Settings\Testing\Local Settings\Temp\ folder.
4) Close folders.
5) Start game.

EDIT: If that file is there, perhaps it's corrupted, and needs to be overwritten. Try that method above anyway.

Scholar
#9 Old 21st May 2015 at 1:27 AM
@MuddyPuddles

Any progress?