Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:13 PM
Changing virtual memory?
I was wondering if i could get some help here. I've been getting issues where i get a lot of pop ups saying my computer is low on memory, usually while i'm playing the sims, even though i have 8gb of ram. I know how to change the virtual memory but i am not sure what number to change the paging file size to. Can anyone help?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 9:23 AM
Are you using a 64bit OS? I'm using a page file size of (Initial: 400MB, Maximum 2048MB) and I don't have any issues... How much memory does your video card have?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 6:18 PM
I have 64 bit Windows 8 and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card. i don't know how much so i'm just going to post my dxdiag file:
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Sep 2014 at 4:44 AM
It's weird, we both have the same amount of RAM, your page file is bigger than mine but I don't have any errors. Try disabling background programs.

Bring up the Windows Task Manager and see how many running processes you have running. Make sure to check "Show processes from all users".
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2014 at 6:07 PM Last edited by ajshn : 9th Sep 2014 at 7:33 PM.
Yeah theres a lot of things running, most are using barely any memory. The sims when running uses 60-68 percent., about 2000mb. Chrome uses alot as well and crashes sometimes while i'm playing the sims. Does the game really need that much memory? No wonder it kept crashing on my old computer that only had 4gb of ram.
Scholar
#6 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 4:54 AM
You're playing The Sims in a window?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 5:12 PM
Yes i am.
Scholar
#8 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 6:48 PM
Does playing it full screen non-windowed help?

Alternatively try:

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab (for me it defaults on this tab) -> Settings... (under the "Performance" section) -> Advanced Tab -> under "Virtual Memory" click Change... -> Make sure "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is checked.

As far as I can tell, my internet search tells me that this is a Windows 8 problem.

Some people have said the following has worked for them:

Remove IntelliMemory:

On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, under Programs, do one of the following:
Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.
When you find the program IntelliMemory, click it, and then do one of the following:
Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove IntelliMemory.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 10:18 PM
Fullscreen mode did not change anything, and i don't have IntelliMemory. I use to have it set to managing the paging file size but when i started getting pop ups i set the size for the paging file myself, i guess i can try going back to that.