Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#1651 Old 21st Sep 2023 at 10:02 PM Last edited by daisylee : 21st Sep 2023 at 10:13 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
Summer clothes and make-up.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/87181893

Oh yikes that all looks horrible to me, the bodies and the faces styles/graphics/skin details, the blank windows, the umbrella, and even the shadows are a mess for the objects/Para. I know this is all WIP but seeing this really makes me have far more interest in the other games that are coming. I know some of you are gaga about this game but it is a total pass for me now. Not that they care, but if I feel this way I am sure many others do also. I know it is a cartoon style for the Para and who knows what we can call the rest, but IMO if you are going that direction at least do it well.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#1652 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 2:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Oh yikes that all looks horrible to me, the bodies and the faces styles/graphics/skin details, the blank windows, the umbrella, and even the shadows are a mess for the objects/Para. I know this is all WIP but seeing this really makes me have far more interest in the other games that are coming. I know some of you are gaga about this game but it is a total pass for me now. Not that they care, but if I feel this way I am sure many others do also. I know it is a cartoon style for the Para and who knows what we can call the rest, but IMO if you are going that direction at least do it well.

Yeah, it doesn't look great to me, either I guess I'm just not the target audience.
Scholar
#1653 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 1:48 PM
The characters stand out in such a weird way. Is it because of the hard lines? The objects don't have those. It makes the characters look kind of flat as if someone placed a cardboard cutout. Weird thing is, I don't mind either style, but the mix is just weird. And this is coming from someone who is very easy when it comes to graphical design.
Mad Poster
#1654 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 9:59 PM
I have said this many times, that there is a total disconnect IMO between the Para and the environment. The way the lines are being done as outlines on the Para but also on them for skin details is IMO awful. One person commented there that they do not look pleasant. I think the Para are just plain fugly. IMO when Paralives was the only game as WIP this might have been more OK, for some at least, but there now are 2 other significant other games coming. Some people, but not that many will want put out their simoleans to try all 3 of them and whatever interest if they have in Sims. Total guess it may run at least 250 bucks to get just the base games of them including initial costs on Sims to get it going?

And IMO the environment /objects looked better in the past than in that photo, so I have no idea what is going on there? Shadows, object detail, etc. all just did not look good. This game has many good things, but when there is this much competition now they need to up their game more than this. A lot.
Test Subject
#1655 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 10:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sokisims
In a comment on one of the Vivaland videos it said that it has been confirmed that it is also for single player, if so it would join the new simulation games to come.

Something that can "also" do single player and isn't built around a single player experience tends to be lacking as a single player game. Because it's feature is being multiplayer. Nothing wrong with that for people who want that feature, but that person just isn't me.
Test Subject
#1656 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 10:11 PM
And IMO the environment /objects looked better in the past than in that photo, so I have no idea what is going on there? Shadows, object detail, etc. all just did not look good. This game has many good things, but when there is this much competition now they need to up their game more than this. A lot.

I am not taking too much from the recent still image as every time they've shown video it's looked good to me and I've like the way the paras actually are in the world. The LBY characters are way too dead in the eyes for me. Nothing I've seen of the characters in the environment has given me any faith in enjoying their characters. Where as I have some faith in the Paras so I am still waiting and watching.
Mad Poster
#1657 Old 23rd Sep 2023 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AnotheLazySimmer23
Something that can "also" do single player and isn't built around a single player experience tends to be lacking as a single player game. Because it's feature is being multiplayer. Nothing wrong with that for people who want that feature, but that person just isn't me.

I now am a I am watching this person for Vivaland and LBY and will have to see release versions before I would consider getting. I am watching Paralives more out of curiosity but ATM there is no way would get it. Easy pass. The Para do look a bit better in live play, the very little we have seen, but so far I cannot get past how they are being done. The paper dolls I did at 10 look better than they do. IMO.

As we all get our popcorn to watch the development of so much in the works.......
Mad Poster
#1658 Old 24th Sep 2023 at 12:53 PM

I mean. It may just as well be a single player game from start that's advertise as a multiplayer game (something which is good if you gonna promote/advertise a game when there already two competitors taking over the Sims trophe). Like that's what I wanna thrown in a trailer (all while I know it may deter players who are skeptical of such mode?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#1659 Old 25th Sep 2023 at 11:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
I mean. It may just as well be a single player game from start that's advertise as a multiplayer game (something which is good if you gonna promote/advertise a game when there already two competitors taking over the Sims trophe). Like that's what I wanna thrown in a trailer (all while I know it may deter players who are skeptical of such mode?

Once I even hear anything remotely like multi-player, my ears shut off, hand goes up in the air with "NOPE!" written on my palm in black sharpie marker.

I was listening to somebody play one of the new Stardew Valley rip off games ( I don't remember which one. It feels like there are hundreds at this point I'm exaggerating before somebody to decides to 'correct me') the other day. The person playing was talking about how there was a bug where other people could spawn or show up at your house and take all of your stuff. There was a workaround for this, but I didn't keep listening to hear it.

The other thing about all of these new games is they all have Disney Starlight Valley vibe to them. Yeah, no. These are the same people that charge $20.00 or whatever it was for a house skin.

Before somebody gets this sideways, EA needs competition. However, if everybody and their mother is going to slap a game together while calling it a life simulator, that isn't going to kick EA in the shin. It is going to annoy people which will make them leave the genre.
Field Researcher
#1660 Old 25th Sep 2023 at 4:06 PM
Well, it will be a competitor to Sims 5/Project Rene which will also be a mutiplayer game (and free to play).
Mad Poster
#1661 Old 25th Sep 2023 at 9:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Once I even hear anything remotely like multi-player, my ears shut off, hand goes up in the air with "NOPE!" written on my palm in black sharpie marker.

Generally I have NO interest in multiplayer. If I decide to try Vivaland I might try to play a bit with one or 2 people from here just to try a bit, but my norm is keep your hands off my sandbox!!!!! I did a few Simports with a few online people I knew in 3. but other than that, multi-player is of no interest to me.
Test Subject
#1662 Old 26th Sep 2023 at 3:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
Before somebody gets this sideways, EA needs competition. However, if everybody and their mother is going to slap a game together while calling it a life simulator, that isn't going to kick EA in the shin. It is going to annoy people which will make them leave the genre.

"Hometopia" which is basically a house builder like House Flipper is hitting up Sims Youtube with sponsorships like crazy. I get that many people play the sims just to build houses, especially 4, but calling Hometopia a "life simulator" in any way is such a stretch. Call it what it is, which is a home remodeling game. It has nothing to do with life simulating.
Theorist
#1663 Old 26th Sep 2023 at 12:31 PM
"Hometopia" which is basically a house builder like House Flipper is hitting up Sims Youtube with sponsorships like crazy. I get that many people play the sims just to build houses, especially 4, but calling Hometopia a "life simulator" in any way is such a stretch. Call it what it is, which is a home remodeling game. It has nothing to do with life simulating.

This is a perfect example of what I was talking about.

In Will Wright's case, creating the sims franchise was a life simulator as his house burned down. Today everybody is trying to make bank on bullshit. I don't watch any of those videos. I'd rather roll my eyes watching people act surprised by the crap they buy from Temu while they try to pretend that they didn't know what they were buying was crap from Temu.

If anybody reads this thread from Team Paralives, please don't do this stuff. Stick to your roots and reasons you wanted to create a game in the first place. Let all the lemmings launch themselves over a cliff...
Lab Assistant
#1664 Old 27th Sep 2023 at 9:01 PM
Apparently the team showed their first let's play of the game, but that post is locked behind a paywall on their patreon page. I cannot wait when they relase the post to the public. When everybody sees that the game is real and when everybody sees all the details, aswell as the major features of the game, then maybe the team will get more support (more donations). Honestly, this is what Paralives needs (in my opinion). We only have two long videos of Paralives without any let's plays, which is kind of imporatant to have.
Field Researcher
#1665 Old 22nd Oct 2023 at 1:29 AM
So far, they've also showed more on relationships and whatnot on Patreon. I'm sure they'll be public eventually but I really like what they're doing so far. It is pretty different from the Sims formula in a positive way I think. The system they created feels like it's given Paras their own agency in a way. From what they've shown if flows so naturally I'm surprised The Sims hasn't thought of something like this before. So far, I like it more than LBY's solutions though they are also trying to find a new take on the same system.
Top Secret Researcher
#1666 Old 2nd Nov 2023 at 5:00 AM
One week free trial for a Patreon membership

https://www.paralives.com/news

They're also hiring a tester. The ad is in French but it sounds pretty much standard to me.

https://www.paralives.com/testeur-qa
Top Secret Researcher
#1667 Old 10th Nov 2023 at 2:12 PM
More outfits. This is a Patreon post from September 15 that is now public,

https://www.patreon.com/posts/89314726

I know some of you don't like the look but I really do. It's cartoony without looking plastic or with blurry textures, with lots of detail.
Field Researcher
#1668 Old 10th Nov 2023 at 2:47 PM
Their last few patreon releases have been pretty huge and I can only hope this means we'll be getting a big demonstration sometime soon. They haven't said they're going to do that, just my own personal speculation/hopes. I honestly really love the systems they've created so far.

Here are the titles of the patreon post so you know what I mean as of course, I cannot go into detail or say anything about them:
- How Jobs and Careers *Work* in Paralives
- Togetherness: Developing Complex Relationships in Paralives
- How Personalities are Defined in Paralives
- Togetherness: Make your Parafolks do Anything as a Group in Paralives

The fact that they're hiring their first play tester too? They could be officially entering "alpha" at this point or really close to it. Time will tell.
Mad Poster
#1669 Old 10th Nov 2023 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kirabook
So far, they've also showed more on relationships and whatnot on Patreon. I'm sure they'll be public eventually but I really like what they're doing so far. It is pretty different from the Sims formula in a positive way I think. The system they created feels like it's given Paras their own agency in a way. From what they've shown if flows so naturally I'm surprised The Sims hasn't thought of something like this before. So far, I like it more than LBY's solutions though they are also trying to find a new take on the same system.

So what had they shown if it ain’t a secret?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Theorist
#1670 Old 11th Dec 2023 at 7:45 PM
I'm seeing a lot of criticism about the look the the paras and the environment but literally both of them were voted on by the community in a series of votes to whittle down to this specific look. Just like Laundry Day Stuff, you might not like it, but that is what people who are *actually* going to play the game wanted. For better or worse. I think they look cute, personally. Way better than Sims 4's polished plastic perfection. These paras somehow simultaneously look more cartooney and more realistic at the same time. Their faces have marks and lines and imperfections. In a world of online Instagram filters and people looking flawless in every upload, young people are struggling with their image and identities, and NEED that reality check.
Mad Poster
#1671 Old 11th Dec 2023 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I'm seeing a lot of criticism about the look the the paras and the environment but literally both of them were voted on by the community in a series of votes to whittle down to this specific look. Just like Laundry Day Stuff, you might not like it, but that is what people who are *actually* going to play the game wanted. For better or worse. I think they look cute, personally. Way better than Sims 4's polished plastic perfection. These paras somehow simultaneously look more cartooney and more realistic at the same time. Their faces have marks and lines and imperfections. In a world of online Instagram filters and people looking flawless in every upload, young people are struggling with their image and identities, and NEED that reality check.

I think the Para are awful and I will not get the game because of them. They will lose some sales due to them. But the people that like them can buy it and that is how it should be. I do agree about people struggling with images now due to social media influences and that is sad that it is going on and so many teens and younger are having problems now. And the social media companies could care less about it, and a heck of a lot of other things I will not go into.
Inventor
#1672 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 3:13 AM
I think the Para are awful and I will not get the game because of them. They will lose some sales due to them. But the people that like them can buy it and that is how it should be. I do agree about people struggling with images now due to social media influences and that is sad that it is going on and so many teens and younger are having problems now. And the social media companies could care less about it, and a heck of a lot of other things I will not go into.

We don't know much about the Paras yet. We know what they look like, but their behavior and AI is still a mystery. That's what will ultimately make me buy or not buy the game.

In terms of appearance, I don't mind the cartoonish look, but the proportions ARE weird. They don't look like humans.

I hope there's enough flexibility in the character creator to fix them. If I can still play and enjoy The Sims 3 in spite of the default look Sims have, I'll probably be able to look past the way the Paras look if gameplay is top notch.
Mad Poster
#1673 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
In terms of appearance, I don't mind the cartoonish look, but the proportions ARE weird. They don't look like humans. ....
I'll probably be able to look past the way the Paras look if gameplay is top notch.

I will have no interest in playing weird non human looking IMO fugly cartoons no matter what the gameplay is. We should not have to look past what the characters look like in a life simulator. Yes, we had some fish faces in 2 and some do not like the Sims in 3 and 4, but overall the looks of the Sims has been acceptable to enough players to keep the Sims franchise going for all these years.

Generally when I have said I do not like them here there has been about an equal number of agrees and disagrees and that means for possibly 50% of potential players to not like how they are being done is not good. As said, people who will want to play them can get the game, but many will pass due to how the Para are being done, and actually that is a shame. This game has heavy competition right now and to lose perhaps half of your potential customers because of how you do the characters is not good for any game developer. LBY and ZOI whatever can probably afford to not win over a large chunk of the potential buyers, but this small game developer may not be able to do that?
Theorist
#1674 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 9:35 PM
I will have no interest in playing weird non human looking IMO fugly cartoons no matter what the gameplay is..

I love how you spent years on here serial disagreeing with anyone who criticised Sims 4, then someone comes along with something that is decidedly different and you are being way more toxic towards it than anyone here ever has been about Sims 4. We get it, you don't like the way they look, but being this actually rude about it rather than constructive will get grating. If you don't like it, and already plan to never play it, there is no reason to continue participating in the discussion if you are simply going to be, not critical, but outright hateful.

What is it that people like to say? "It's clearly not made for you"
Mad Poster
#1675 Old 12th Dec 2023 at 10:16 PM Last edited by daisylee : 12th Dec 2023 at 11:17 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
I love how you spent years on here serial disagreeing with anyone who criticised Sims 4, then someone comes along with something that is decidedly different and you are being way more toxic towards it than anyone here ever has been about Sims 4. We get it, you don't like the way they look, but being this actually rude about it rather than constructive will get grating. If you don't like it, and already plan to never play it, there is no reason to continue participating in the discussion if you are simply going to be, not critical, but outright hateful.

What is it that people like to say? "It's clearly not made for you"

BS. I have not been like that at all and have voiced many complaints about 4. And if not liking something is a criteria for not being/posting on this site that knocks out darn near all the members who post on this section of this site. And you do not have a problem with the nonstop negative posts about 4 here including the ones you have made? You do not tell them to shut up? You do not tell them if you do not like 4 or EA do not post about it. This site is totally filled with hate/criticism about EA and 4. Tell all of them the same thing if that is the standard you use.

And so why is it OK to you that Naus says they are weird and do not look human, eh? He has a problem with how they look also and says would need to get past that. UM...............
Page 67 of 73