Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 3:59 PM
Default Getting the final touches for my modular stairs
I'm creating my first modular stairs and I've succesfully managed to make them work in-game. However, there are a few things that don't work like I'd like them too, so I was wondering if you could help me solve those little issues to make them suitable for being uploaded here.

Firstly, I designed the stairs for being used without railing. When in game I hover the railing tool over the placed stairs, the mesh is changed to the original maxis one I cloned, only that they retain the new texture. Is there a way to nullify the effect of the railing tool on my stairs?? Secondly, the thumbnail, name and description of the stairs aren't showing properly in game. The thumbnail is the original mesh one but with the new texture I gave. The name, price and description are blank even though I changed the catalogue description in SimPe.

I'd be very grateful if you could help me with these issues, as I'm a noob in creating objects but I'm willing to learn more and start creating more complex things ^^ Thanks a lot !!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th Jan 2021 at 10:35 PM
Modular stairs have several meshes and each one has a part of the railing, so make sure you edit the mesh of every single one to remove the railing.  As for the description, you need to add/edit a str resource as well as your new text file. https://hugelunatic.com/modular-stairs/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 11:46 AM
Thank you so much for the info HugeLunatic, I appreciate it a lot I used your tutorial for creating the new str resource for the price/name/description and edited the text file as its explained, but I must have misunderstood something because now the in-game catalogue shows the name and description of the railing tool, not the ones I wrote in the stairs info resource strings '^^
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#4 Old 5th Jan 2021 at 7:15 PM
Try a Fix Integrity on the package, maybe a resource is not using the 0xFFFFFFFF instance.  Otherwise I think I'd need to look at the package and the script file.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 8:22 PM
Hi HugeLunatic, I tried Fix Integrity, but it didn't fix the problem. Probably I misunderstod some step in creating the str or the script, should I create a new thread in the repair centre forum?
Instructor
#6 Old 6th Jan 2021 at 10:09 PM
Probably best to attach the files for Huge Lunatic to look over. She can find the problem very quick and help you out. Also, I'm wondering if you may have used a number for your set that is already assigned to another set of CC modular stairs in your game folders. Or the original Maxis set, even.

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 7:53 PM
Hi d4RE, thanks for your advice. I'm attaching the files then. I gave the stairs the number 1612 (a number I remember easily) after checking in sims wiki list that the number wasn't in use, I'm not sure if something related to that could be the problem
Attached files:
File Type: rar  HinokiModularStairs_thesimsrsi(MTS).rar (23.5 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: txt  1612_thesimsrsi_hinokistairs.txt (278 Bytes, 5 downloads)
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#8 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 10:20 PM
The GUID for the Stair Modular - Deck Green - Portal - A OBJD is still the original from the green deck stairs you cloned.  Give that one a new GUID and it should work.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Jan 2021 at 11:35 PM
Hi again HugeLunatic !! I'm sorry for being such a pain in the a** but I changed the GUID you indicated (I made a slip and forgot to change that one U_U) and although the stairs work perfectly now, the in-game catalogue still shows the descrption of the railing tool and a thumbnail of the green deck stairs but with my texture applied
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#10 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 11:03 AM
Oh, hrm.  I also removed the (MTS) from the text file as well as the filename (because symbols slow loading) before I realized the missed GUID.  They showed up correctly in my game, proper price, name, description. I would say they were perfect, but I'm a bit obsessed with everything being recolorable. :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 8th Jan 2021 at 3:24 PM Last edited by thesimsrsi : 8th Jan 2021 at 4:13 PM.
Oh, is that so ?? Then I'm gonna remove the (MTS) from both places to see if that could be the issue. Thank you so much for your help !!

(EDIT: HugeLunatic, you were right, it was the (MTS) thing !!! Now the problem it's just the thumbnail, but I'm going to research a bit in the forum about this because I think I saw some threads talking about thumbnails issues)

TBH, I was going to upload this separately, but I'm now trying to create a molding (cloned from a fence) and a column to make a themed set, so I'll probably venture into recoloring to make a greater quality set :P