Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 7:07 PM
Default Picking parts for a new PC
I'll soon buy a new PC and since I'm this time going to decide exactly which parts it'll have before the store builds it for me, I'd really like some advice.

I want it to be a good gaming computer, that can handle both older games like my beloved Sims 2 and new more demanding ones. I'll also use it every day for simpler tasks like browsing, watching movies as well as some Photoshop editing. I want the computer to be reasonably future-proof and it's likely that I'll add things to it as time goes on, so flexibility is quite important.

Right now these are the components I think I'll choose:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard: MSI Z97-S02 INET EDITION ATX
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TwinFrozr GAMING
PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro10, 850W 80+ Platinum (Maybe an overkill, but are there really any downsides with an overly powerful PSU except for the price?)
RAM: ADATA 8GB (2x4GB) CL9 1600MHz XPG
SSD: Samsung SSD EVO Basic 840-Series 500GB
HDD: 1TB WD Black 7200rpm 64MB
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (also considering Fractal Design Define XL R2 , Corsair Obsidian 750D or Corsair Graphite 600TM - suggestions are very welcome since there are tons of great-looking chassis out there!)
OS: Windows 7 (According to the guy at the store, Windows 8 is a bit better for a lot of the new games, but since it's not compatible with Sims 2 I'd really like to avoid it).

So what are your thoughts about these components? Will they give me a powerful PC suitable for gaming? Will it work for Sims 2? Are there better alternatives you can think of? I can afford better components, but would only like to go for it if it means a clear improvement that will actually be useful for me.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:39 AM
Are you going to be overclocking?
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 2:32 PM
I don't know much about overclocking right now (my current PC isn't exactly overclocking friendly), but I have read about it and it's definitely something I see myself trying somewhere in the future. So yes, I'd like my new PC to support overclocking.
Scholar
#4 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 3:48 PM
Then if everything is within your budget just switch your 1TB Black into a 2TB Green and you're good to go You'll be installing most of your games on the SSD so you're better with extra storage on the Green than the negligible speed increase on the black (compared to the SSD).

For the case... the ones you mentioned are all good, just don't go with any of the Full-Tower cases, like the 750D. It'll cost you more for room you won't use. The mid-tower ones are just fine, and I particularly like the 600T.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 4:01 PM
Great - thank you so much for your help!